News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 787     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Crescent Town

I have lived in Crescent Town for a few years and what keeps me here is the low rent and the close proximity to the subway. I am able to save money. However, if you are not in a desperate situation, I WOULD NOT recommend living here. Rent has gone up for new tenants moving in and it is not worth it.

I am surprised that anyone would have no complaints about Crescent Town. Perhaps the Massey Square buildings are in better shape. Crescent Town apartments are cockroach and bedbug infected and have been for years. I live in number 9. The building itself is not well-kept and the infrastructure is crumbling. There has been major water damage throughout the building that has resulted in collapsed ceilings in some of the apartments. Although the common areas, such as the lobby, have been upgraded, you just have to take a walk throughout the whole building to see that it is in dire need of repairs. I was told that number 7 is even worse.

Carpets are not cleaned. As I write this, the carpet on my floor has ingrained dirt and grime that have been present since July, 2018. It is now November 21st, 2018. It is common for the carpets not to be cleaned for months. Once, there was even a used condom in the hallway. Management posted notices in September that the carpets will be replaced. However, this has yet to occur. Also, used diapers are even left on the floor in the garbage room on my floor. When you open the door, roaches are often seen running around the floor. Because of this, I just go downstairs to throw out my garbage.

Balconies are also a problem. Some tenants throw out their garbage, cigarettes and beer bottles from their balconies, and this ends up on other balconies. Building management has done nothing to address the problem.

Prostitution and drug activity occur in the buildings - and building management is aware of this. There have also been reports of theft and sexual assaults. I personally have awoken on two occasions to intruders on my balcony. In both incidences, they were drug related and the police were called. In fact, the police even came to my door because another person reported intruders on his/her balcony. When I asked the police about crime in the building, they stated that there have been reports and that arrests have been made. I have had men knocking at my door after midnight. When I went to the management office after one such incident, one of the ladies mentioned sexual assault in the building and was quickly shushed by the property manager. It was obvious that she did not want me to know about the assaults.
I live in the Crescent Town townhouses and have been there for the past 20 years. I love the fact that I can get to downtown in 35 minutes and can walk to the subway. The complex is served by an excellent medical center, a pharmacy and a supermarket. Within a 5 minute drive we have 5 major supermarkets with Ashbridges Bay only 15 minutes away. Generally the townhouses and condominium buildings are safe but the bad rap that CT gets comes from 7 and 9 Crescent Place. The owner absolutely refuses to spend any money on upgrades or just plain maintaining the buildings. As a result the rents are comparatively low but what I don't understand is why some of the tenants are not reporting health issues to the City or banding together and having a strong voice against the property owner.

Basically, don't move in here if you're not desperate, financially. With the entirety of Toronto rising price-wise, this is probably one of the few areas, besides Dawes road buildings and so on, where you find the lowest rent possible. But that's an actuality for a bad reason. The rent prices here are around the minimum (say 1400+ for a one bedroom) because the area is highly corrupt. If you make the mistake of befriending anyone who has lived here or lives here, associating with anyone, or even being at the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll likely fear to even go outside of your apartment which is comparatively a hell of its own. The landlords you can't trust more than you can a member of a gang that is purely financial and has sunk its ways into the landowning system I don't even know how. If you will live here, you'll see everything you see in most other suburbs: people going to work, kids going to school, people having a good time in the park, but after dark I would not honestly tell you to be outside or especially near the Dawes side of things, unless you're certain no one knows you and you don't "stand out". Don't get me wrong, it's a lively neighbourhood as any other, but here, like most other areas for the poor, sick, old, etc, you'll see/hear the worst aspects of human nature. If you don't consider yourself lucky in that you don't have to hear about it despite it happening daily. Not a day goes by that I don't hear sirens at nighttime scream up Dawes road. Being ignorant enough, I moved in here about two years ago, and not knowing any of this I, a teenager at the time, befriended people (out of common interests or simple friendliness) who would probably not hesitate to have me dead given the opportunity and time. Whether it's out of social/educational tension, increasing living costs, poverty, mental illness, drug abuse, and so much more on, people are slowly losing it here and in the entirety of Toronto, even, Ontario. There is little hope for anyone here unless they have money to protect them, because in reality that's the only factor saving you from even being here, aka, being in just an awful area to live in.
This is from pure experience. And from the point of view of someone who is living here and is on the verge of being homeless (as many others) while dealing with mental illness and multiple legal issues caused by being here. Giant mistake.
My advice? Stick to yourself, lock your doors, don't show more than you need to, associate with no one, make sure your kids are safe, don't dapple with people/things that just seem slightly off because those will bite you in a split-second, be anonymous, don't get in trouble (that should go without saying but here that can happen just out of being helpful/kind), and last but not least start making plans to get out of here even if it's the only affordable place.
The city is corrupted.
Sincerely,
East York kid.

Basically, don't move in here if you're not desperate, financially. With the entirety of Toronto rising price-wise, this is probably one of the few areas, besides Dawes road buildings and so on, where you find the lowest rent possible. But that's an actuality for a bad reason. The rent prices here are around the minimum (say 1400+ for a one bedroom) because the area is highly corrupt. If you make the mistake of befriending anyone who has lived here or lives here, associating with anyone, or even being at the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll likely fear to even go outside of your apartment which is comparatively a hell of its own. The landlords you can't trust more than you can a member of a gang that is purely financial and has sunk its ways into the landowning system I don't even know how. If you will live here, you'll see everything you see in most other suburbs: people going to work, kids going to school, people having a good time in the park, but after dark I would not honestly tell you to be outside or especially near the Dawes side of things, unless you're certain no one knows you and you don't "stand out". Don't get me wrong, it's a lively neighbourhood as any other, but here, like most other areas for the poor, sick, old, etc, you'll see/hear the worst aspects of human nature. If you don't consider yourself lucky in that you don't have to hear about it despite it happening daily. Not a day goes by that I don't hear sirens at nighttime scream up Dawes road. Being ignorant enough, I moved in here about two years ago, and not knowing any of this I, a teenager at the time, befriended people (out of common interests or simple friendliness) who would probably not hesitate to have me dead given the opportunity and time. Whether it's out of social/educational tension, increasing living costs, poverty, mental illness, drug abuse, and so much more on, people are slowly losing it here and in the entirety of Toronto, even, Ontario. There is little hope for anyone here unless they have money to protect them, because in reality that's the only factor saving you from even being here, aka, being in just an awful area to live in.
This is from pure experience. And from the point of view of someone who is living here and is on the verge of being homeless (as many others) while dealing with mental illness and multiple legal issues caused by being here. Giant mistake.
My advice? Stick to yourself, lock your doors, don't show more than you need to, associate with no one, make sure your kids are safe, don't dapple with people/things that just seem slightly off because those will bite you in a split-second, be anonymous, don't get in trouble (that should go without saying but here that can happen just out of being helpful/kind), and last but not least start making plans to get out of here even if it's the only affordable place.
The city is corrupted.
Sincerely,
East York kid.

Whoa!

I'm sorry you've had such a challenging experience living in the area.

I don't live in Crescent Town, but not that far away; I've never experienced the neighbourhood as you describe it.

Yes there are a few challenged buildings.....notably 500 Dawes is near infamous..............

But there are others that are well maintained, even attractive...........with rents ranging from 1800 plus hydro and parking (or about $2,000 per month), to $2,400 plus hydro plus parking ($2,600 per month).

Crescent Town's rental side is managed by Pinedale, I can't say I've heard much encouraging about them........it was their pedestrian overpass that collapsed..........

But there are other, better, landlords nearby.

I have been living in Massey Square apartment since last fourteen years and my kids are grown up here. They started from Crescent town elementary and now both are in higher studies from UofT and Newyork university in dentistry and Engineering program.We have actively participated in our community and being new immigrant back in 2000 had all our struggles to grow here. Never ever had any bad experience. People are very cooperative and one of the best areas in Toronto where kids mind their business which is studying hard and be in their professions. You all gym, swimming pool and a beautiful club free when you become part of the community.You have doctors, medicine store, groceries and all day to day requirement at your doorstep or walking distance. Beautiful beaches area within walking distance if you love walking. 20 minutes to downtown. What more do I want? No complaint in growing up my kids here with values and becoming true citizen of the neighbourhood and country. As regards some incidents here and there, is not that what you expect when you live in a big city like Toronto. NO COMPLAINTS and highly recommend anyone looking for quality living to buy and rent property here.

Hello, I'm happy to hear you've had a positive experience at Massey Sq. I have been living at 1 Massey Sq since November 2018 and so far it's okay except for one issue. In the summer of 2019 I discovered that my lovely roommate had bed bugs in her bed. I immediately had my unit exterminated and it seemed to get rid of the problem. I would say for an entire year I continued to feel paranoid that I might encounter this problem again, since I learned the first time that the bugs are darn near impossible to trace.

Low and behold, in June 2020, I found a bed bug in my washroom. I was devastated. I sleep with a mattress protector and all white sheets and know for sure that I have none in my bed so I'm really not sure where that bug came from. Then a few months later I found a second bed bug in the washroom and still no bugs in my room. Finally, in October, my boyfriend killed a beg bug that was crawling on his sweater when he was sitting on the couch late at night! I immediately booked a treatment for the second time in 14 months.

I've now completed the standard two treatments and unlike the first extermination in 2019 when it was obvious that my roommate had an infestation, I did not see any carcasses left from the treatment so it doesn't appear to me that I had an infestation this time. In preparation of the treatment, we removed the electrical outlet covers, and I believe that is the cause for the five live roaches I've found in my kitchen area. This has also been quite upsetting!

So, at this point I am feeling quite helpless and that I have no control of my own home. I don't believe I could have brought the bed bugs into my home. I've barely been anywhere for the duration of COVID. I can't continue to live here if I will continue to find bed bugs in my unit. The stress will be too much to handle. I would love to know what your experience has been with bugs at Massey Sq and how you've handled it.

It's a good neighborhood! Hard working families that usually live there as a transitional period before they go on to bigger things. The perception is that it is ghetto but it really isn't

I went to Crescent Town Elementary school, the kids were the sweetest. 1 day every week I would get bused out to a gifted program in the Bayview area and the kids there were way worse, like spoilt brats!

They have security at least in the Massey buildings but the people there are decent. They are mostly young, poor, up and commers with big dreams just trying to make it. Kiefer Sutherland lived in Crescent Town. I Lived there in my childhood for 5 years, parents worked 24/7 so I had to raise myself up in the area, they have a rec centre for swimming, and there really were no problems, only bad perceptions that weren't true

I live on Bay Street now and it's way more violent then Crescent Town but has great accessibility for professionals and their work. Well worth the cost. Anyways just wanted to say don't judge a book by it's cover, I'm not saying it's great or not great, I'm just saying my experience was great, very character building.

They recently modernized the “public realm” as you get off the bridge from Victoria Park Station. This was taken back in November while it was nearing completion.
IMG_2747.jpeg

Taken today.
IMG_3202.jpeg

They recently modernized the “public realm” as you get off the bridge from Victoria Park Station. This was taken back in November while it was nearing completion.
View attachment 536614

Taken today.
View attachment 536615

A couple of notes:

1) So far as I understand, this work was undertaken to repair the parking garage slab on which it sits. They had to scrape off the previous landscape to carry out said work. The new landscape, if one likes it, is a bonus.

2) I never lived in Crescent Town, but it was quite close and as a child I spent some time in those parts, in a previous iteration (though not the immediately preceding one) the landscape was set up a bit like a maze. This was a big thing in late 60s/early 70s landscape design. As a child, I rather like it, great for playing hide and seek. But was one might imagine, lots of nooks and crannies not easily viewable by prying eyes had some people doing things that other people didn't approve of being a mix of 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 height pony walls and rows of shrubs in elevated planters with the odd tree thrown in as well.

Back