smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Councillors move to make TTC essential service

Oct 21, 2008 10:12 AM
Comments on this story (36)
John Spears
Staff Reporter

A trio of city councillors kicked off a campaign this morning at Queen subway station,asking transit riders to help them get the Toronto Transit Commission declared an essential service.

The councillors and their staff handed out thousands of petitions asking them to go online at www.cesarpalacio.com, and sign an online petition to put the TTC on the same legal footing as police, fire and ambulance services.

That would make strikes illegal, and refer bargaining disputes to binding arbitration.

The councillors plan to hand out flyers at selected stations throughout the rest of the week.

Most riders took the yellow flyers and carried them off to work, although a few balked.

"People are essential, not the TTC," snapped one woman, handing the flyer back.

But others were prepared to listen.

John Thompson, a downtown office worker, said he's in favour of declaring the TTC an essential service.

"I think there would still be wildcat strikes, but I there it would be less likely to have a strike in the first place," Thompson said.

He'll consider signing. He takes the TTC to work every day: "I never would drive downtown."

During one of the wildcat strrikes, he ended up walking more than six kilometres to work.

Others were curious about the issue.

"I do take the subway every day. I'm definitely going to go online and check it out," said Navneet Lakhan of Woodbridge, who uses both Viva and TTC to get downtown.

She said she hasn't formed an opinion yet on whether declaring the TTC an essential service is a good thing or not.

"I have no idea," she said. "I'll be very honest. I'd like to go through more information before making a decision."

But the flyer piqued her interest, she said, because "without the TTC I'd have no idea how I'm going to get down here every day."

Councillors Cesar Palacio, Cliff Jenkins and Michael Thompson are behind the campaign.

They hope to get the issue debated at next week's council meeting.

Palacio said in an interview that TTC strikes cost the city $50 million a day in lost revenue and productivity.

The immediate goal is to raise awareness of the issue, he said.

Even if they're not successful in winning a vote at the next council meeting, the councillors plan to keep pushing and if necessary make it an issue in th 2010 municicpal election, he said:

"We will continue to do this as long as it takes, because this is an issue that's not going to die."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/521065

Council vote blocks no-strike TTC

From The Star of October 31, 2008:

Surprise vote blocks no-strike TTC

'Nay' by Holyday key to council's 23-22 rejection of attempt to declare transit services essential

Oct 31, 2008 04:30 AM

Donovan Vincent
city hall bureau

Toronto City Council voted narrowly against declaring the TTC an essential service yesterday, thanks to a surprise vote cast by a right-wing councillor.

The 23-22 rejection of the motion – which, after six hours of debate, harked back to last year's 23-22 vote that delayed a verdict on a new land transfer tax – was essentially decided by Councillor Doug Holyday's dissenting vote.

Had Holyday voted the other way, the motion would have carried and the city would have asked the province to make the designation banning TTC workers from striking.

Holyday's vote shocked colleagues on the right as well as moderates on the losing side.

"I think there's a better way. It's a serious matter to be taking away someone's labour rights. That's what this was all about,'' Holyday told reporters afterward. "We don't have to do anything overnight. We have time to look at the situation a little closer," he said.

"Why would a so-called right-wing councillor not see people's rights?'' he later asked.

There was one compromise: Council did approve asking the province to pass legislation declaring Wheel-Trans for the handicapped an essential service in the event the TTC can't work out an agreement with its union.

The move to take away the TTC workers' strike privileges came after the surprise weekend transit strike in April. The stoppage, which left many riders stranded, ended when the Legislature passed back-to-work legislation that took effect before the Monday rush hour.

A three-year deal was later forged through binding arbitration.

Councillors in favour of the motion argued the TTC was too critical to the city to allow further strikes; others felt binding arbitration would hobble negotiations and result in higher labour costs.

Throughout yesterday's debate, the talk on both sides was how close the vote would likely be.

There was angst in the "pro-essential services camp" because right-wing Councillor Rob Ford was absent for most of the afternoon session.

Ford was coaching Don Bosco High junior and senior football teams in their semifinals, a point some councillors commented on derisively. Both his teams won, and Ford sped back to City Hall precious minutes before the vote.

Typically onside with Holyday on most matters, Ford blasted him for yesterday's vote. "With all the union-bashing he's done in the past," Ford said, "he's the last guy you'd think would jump ship."

Since City Council voted NOT to ASK Queen's Park to make the TTC an essential service, why doesn't the PUBLIC do the asking? Council is not doing do the will of the people, so we should do the asking.

You're simplifying it. The province is in charge of essential service designation; however, transit is the jurisdiction of the city. Therefore, the City cannot just make transit an essential service. Nor can the Province simply make the TTC an essential service without the City giving it an OK.

Why is it that when union members reject a contract, that they go out on strike? Why don't they make the "STRIKE YES NO?" question a separate question on the ballot paper they are given to vote on?

I hear that while some TTC union members didn't like the last contract, but also didn't want to go on strike. Of course, there is still the problem of those members who don't vote at all, so maybe the strike YES vote should be 50% + 1 of the entire membership, not just the ones who cast a strike ballot.

wouldn't there have been strings attached? expensive ones?

Joe Pantalone sent out his newsletter. In it, it says that WheelTrans was declared by the City to be an essential service:

Labour disruptions to public transit
Council decided to communicate its support to the Province of Ontario for declaring the Toronto Transit Commission's Wheel-Trans Service an essential service and for legislation mandating a minimum of 48 hours notice before any TTC strike can legally take place. Among other related steps taken by Council is a request for the TTC and its staff to negotiate a wider strike protocol that protects and delivers all Wheel-Trans Service in the event of a strike, job action or a lockout.

Back