1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Corey Haim's Funeral Will (Not) Be Paid for by City of Toronto

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto is on the front page of CNN.com and People.com

I'm proud that our city will be covering the expenses to bring one of its own home. This is the first time I've seen something like this happen though. Is it common? Does the city have the discretion to pay for a funeral? Where do the funds come from and who can make this decision?

I just want to know where he's going to be buried; we need all the Glenn Gould-type pilgrimage spots we can get...

His mother put out a public statement on Friday asking for donations from fans to fly him back to Toronto, I guess that didn't happen. We should not be paying for this, they can pop him into the fridge until his mom has the money and then ship him back.

I don't know if anyone saw "The Two Corey's" on A & E - it's one of those head exploding, "did he just say/do that" reality shows. Hours of pleasure. Anyway if his longest and best friend in the world was Corey Feldman why can't he help cough up some money to help send his best friend home?

While it's unfortunate, the city shouldn't be paying for funerals, no matter how sad the story is.

As insensitive as this may sound, this could be $20,000 very well spent. The tourism potential is there and the exposure the city is getting from this good will gesture is worth millions of advertising dollars.

Corey Haim is known but not a superstar. If Mike Myers or Russell Peters were to be in this position (knock on wood), I'd fully support the city in paying for a pilgrimage grave like adma suggested.

Nobody pilgrimaged to see him when he was alive, why would they now that he is dead?

Is this official? The article linked states;
In a statement released Sunday, the city of Toronto said it "does not confirm or comment on any potential, pending or active applications for assistance in such matters. Therefore, the City will not be commenting further on these reports."
Of course this doesn't confirm that any payment is being made by the city.

As insensitive as this may sound, this could be $20,000 very well spent. The tourism potential is there and the exposure the city is getting from this good will gesture is worth millions of advertising dollars.

Corey Haim is known but not a superstar. If Mike Myers or Russell Peters were to be in this position (knock on wood), I'd fully support the city in paying for a pilgrimage grave like adma suggested.

Hold on; I wasn't suggesting a "state funeral" type thing. More the passive likelihood that a Corey Haim interment spot would have *some* draw among the celebrity-gravesite crowd--not Jim Morrison-scale, certainly, but...

Stupid, the government should not be responsible for this sort of stuff. We have a shortage of funds, a transit system that needs investment, education that they are responsible for, etc. etc. etc. They should focus on what they are responsible for....

I can certainly understand why Toronto (or in fact any municipality) might pay for a funeral for a 'pauper" who dies there but really wonder why they would do so for people who died elsewhere and are flown in for burial. Yes, it's sad and yes he grew up in Toronto but ...

Back