News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Copenhagen Opera House

Wow, what a beautiful opera house. It's very sophisticated and classy looking.

I love the huge overhang of the roof, much the same as Jean Nouvel's Kultur- und Kongresszentrum in Lucerne, where it seems, I have just missed the Blue Balls Festival: www.kkl-luzern.ch

I believe one of the main criticisms of Copenhagen was the rip-off of Nouvel's overhang.

Not feeling the love for this thing, sorry. It seems overwrought. It sits there being conspicuously large and garish in the middle of a field, and yet once you get inside (er, inside the quicktime tour), its spaces don't inspire much in the way of majesty. It's a bit like ours, but with shinier finishes and nicer light fixtures, and none of the urbane modesty that ours compensates with.

Gold leaf ceilings tend to be shiny. And how modest can anything be, really, when it costs that much? It's a tribute to meddling billionaire Maersk Moller, who paid for it - durable and ostentatious "quality finishes" and all - and donated it to the state.

Their main hall is smaller than ours - 1500 to 1700 seats, but it is a huge complex with five additional stages, a secondary theatre, and loads of rehearsal rooms. Is it not urbane to create an ambitious project like this on a man-made island in a former naval dockyard in the middle of a harbour? The redevelopment of this area, also including schools for the performing arts, architecture and design, and new housing, brightens up a rundown part of the city and continues Denmark's tradition of artistic excellence. The former opera/ballet house will continue to be used.

The Royal Danish Theatre moves into their new digs opposite the opera house in 2008.

Those are fighting words. Clearly you must hate Toronto, or have some inferiority complex. I mean, as long as the accoustics are okay a corrugated tin box would have been just fine (as long as there's a red carpet for the fancy and self-important, that is). Besides, there must be some interest group somewhere that could use such squandered funds!

You're kidding right?

I agree Babel. From how you describe it, the project says a lot of good things about that city.

Financial constraints obliged Jack Diamond to pare down his Four Seasons Centre design to the essentials. Whereas the $442 million ( U.S. ) cost of the Copenhagen house, footed entirely by billionaire Moller, allowed him to dictate questionable design changes to the architect, such as the metal "grille" on what was intended to be an uninterrupted glass front.

Back