News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 873     0 

Conservative Party - racist or just simple ignorance?

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
S

Suicidal Gingerbread Man

Tory ad rubs Caribbean community the wrong way

By BRIAN LAGHI
Thursday, February 26, 2004 - Page A4

OTTAWA -- The Conservative Party has landed in hot water with Canada's Caribbean community after preparing an attack ad against the Liberals characterized as amateurish and "mocking" of Barbadians.

The ad was the subject of internal party anger yesterday as a number of Conservative MPs said they were upset it was approved without their knowledge.

The radio ad attacks Prime Minister Paul Martin for basing subsidiaries of his former company, Canada Steamship Lines, in Barbados to take advantage of lower tax rates there. The ad, one of five, is expected to run in March in the run-up to an expected spring election.

"The tone of voice I thought was sort of mocking," said Basil Blackman, a past president of the National Council of Barbadian Associations of Canada. "I think if the Conservative Party has a problem, they should solve the problem within Canada rather than trying to bring in a third country that basically has nothing to do with the politics of Canada."

The ad is narrated by an individual with a deep Caribbean accent and includes the sound of steel drums in the background performing the song Yellow Bird. The man welcomes listeners to Barbados, "a carefree land of sun, sand and 2-per-cent corporate income tax" and refers to Paul Martin as "your Prime Minister, Mr. Paul."

Arnold August, publisher of Share, a newspaper with a focus on Toronto's black and Caribbean communities, said many Barbadians will be offended.

"I would not be happy with something like that," Mr. August said. "They'll feel insulted."

Several MPs said they should have been consulted before the ads were approved.

MP Greg Thompson said advertisements have damaged Conservatives in the past. He recalled an ad during the 1993 election that portrayed former prime minister Jean Chrètien in an unflattering light by focusing on a facial defect.

"I think we need to put up a process where these are vetted," Mr. Thompson said. Another caucus member said MPs would have objected had they had the opportunity to do so.

The ads also became an issue in the Conservative leadership campaign, with members of the Belinda Stronach team blaming the former staff of ex-Canadian Alliance leader Stephen Harper, many of whom still hold positions in the party.

Stronach workers said the ads sound like they were created by amateurs.

A supporter of Mr. Harper, MP John Reynolds, said Mr. Harper didn't know about the ads either. He agreed that some of the ads could have been better produced, but admonished critics for lacking a sense of humour.

Liberals pounced on the ad, saying it was in the spirit of the old Reform party's infamous Quebec election commercials of 1997, when the faces of Quebec-based leaders had the letter X drawn through them.

"These guys really need sensitivity training," said Scott Brison, a former Tory MP who left for the Liberals after the PCs and the Canadian Alliance merged. "It's unacceptable for political parties to reinforce racial stereotypes."

Also yesterday, the Conservatives welcomed their newest member to the ranks when former Liberal MP John Bryden officially became a member of the party.

Mr. Bryden left the Liberals last week, saying he had lost confidence in the performance of Mr. Martin.

I saw the ad on Tv. It was dumb, but it was not racist at all. If it's racist to have someone with an accent do a voice-over for a commercial, then there are hundreds of racist ads on TV. Would these people feel the same way if the voice-over had a French accent, or an Italian accent? It's ridiculous how all these groups scream racism at the drop of a pin.

I guess the ads must be working.
I'm looking forward to seeing the NDP ads tonite. They will help make me feel better about Paul Martin being a conservative.

Back