1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 2K     4 

Condos send demand for office space soaring

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/1020386--condos-send-demand-for-office-space-soaring

Condos send demand for office space soaring

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
Published: November 09, 2011 7:58 p.m.

All those new downtown condos that are now home to bright, young workers is helping drive demand for office space away from the suburbs and back into Toronto’s core, a new report says.

Also fuelling the increasing demand — so strong that the vacancy rate for downtown office space fell to 5.1 per cent in Q3 — is interest in new environmentally sound office towers, redevelopment of the waterfront and frustration with long commutes.

Toronto isn’t alone, according to commercial real estate brokerage Cushman & Wakefield’s Occupier Insight Report released yesterday.

Major U.S. cities such as San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston and even downtown Los Angeles are also seeing a significant shift from the suburbs, although their office vacancy rates are still more than double that of Toronto’s.

“Major downtown office markets in North America are thriving in the face of turbulent global economic conditions thanks to smart urban planning which has opened the doors to a younger, educated and plugged-in population that prefers to live, work and play close to home,†says the report.

But compounding that demand in Toronto is an unprecedented condo boom, with some 70,000 new units built in or close to the downtown core in the last five years, notes the report. Another 17,000 are under construction or due to open by year’s end.

That’s provided an instant workforce for the 4.5 million square feet of office space has been added to the downtown core in the last two years alone, with more coming especially in the waterfront area.

Damn pinkos!

“Major downtown office markets in North America are thriving in the face of turbulent global economic conditions thanks to smart urban planning which has opened the doors to a younger, educated and plugged-in population that prefers to live, work and play close to home,†says the report.

These folks must be the pinko soldiers riding their bicycles into battle aggressively advancing the war on the car...

I'm far from a Rob Ford supporter but to put a city budget spin on this issue, with 70,000 new units and 4.5 million sq ft of office space you are talking about hundreds of millions of new tax dollars per year. Many of the cities core areas of service require little additional expediture per tax dollar collected from these new units. These developments are essentially cash cows for the city. So the 300 million dollar question is where the hell does this money go?

I love hearing news like this. It really proves to the naysayers that Toronto's days are not numbered. I'm always hearing idiotic comments about how "all the jobs and companies are moving to the 905". Even people in the outer 416 often claim that Downtown is dying. This really is not the case.

One thing that would seal Toronto's fate as a city that works is a DRL. With the thousands of people and jobs moving into the core, southcore, waterfront, and downtown; a new subway line is needed more than ever. Slow streetcars in mixed traffic just won't cut it.

Toronto hasn't had its DAYS yet, but I can see it coming.
As to 905, it will always remain a large suburb with no core. It is like no matter how big Dallas and Phoenix are becoming they are still much less than the old urban centers such as Boston and San Francisco.
People do need cars, they just shouldn't need cars to go to work every day.

Drl

I love hearing news like this. It really proves to the naysayers that Toronto's days are not numbered. I'm always hearing idiotic comments about how "all the jobs and companies are moving to the 905". Even people in the outer 416 often claim that Downtown is dying. This really is not the case.

One thing that would seal Toronto's fate as a city that works is a DRL. With the thousands of people and jobs moving into the core, southcore, waterfront, and downtown; a new subway line is needed more than ever. Slow streetcars in mixed traffic just won't cut it.

The DRL would be great and justified for the reasons you indicate. Plus a DRL would facilitate further new development downtown, which again would repeat the cycle...

...unfortunately, until the politicians begin making transit decisions on good planning principles over political expediency it may be awhile that we see it... :(

Toronto in the 90s was a grave depressing place. The early 90s recession was not kind to the city. The difference between Toronto then and now is almost night and day.

Even if the boom goes bust I think Torontonians will just move on to fixing what needs to be fixed rather than what's going on now: hoping it all comes together when there isn't an inch left to build on.

Toronto in the 90s was a grave depressing place. The early 90s recession was not kind to the city. The difference between Toronto then and now is almost night and day.

While true, it was nowhere near as bad here as Montreal. Downtown MTL was a bombsite for a while -- I really love going there now and seeing how much better it is.

It's really a no-brainer. For companies to attract top talent they have to be located conveniently. There is not a more convenient location than downtown due to the simple fact that all roads go there (subway, highways, GO transit, etc).

I have turned down a job in Vaughan, Markham, and Western Mississauga because it would be such a hassle to get there. The Vaughan position was great, with good benefits, but over an hour commute each way by car. I don't want to waste that kind of gas and wear and tear on my car just to go to work and back every day. I have an interview at FCP tomorrow, so fingers crossed, I may get my downtown position sooner rather than later. Come to think of it, I'd much rather sit in that tin can known as the 501 than deal with Toronto's highway traffic.

Come to think of it, I'd much rather sit in that tin can known as the 501 than deal with Toronto's highway traffic.
501 is much more agreeable ... one can spend one's time tweeting about how crap the TTC is every day. Can't do that on the 401.

I'm far from a Rob Ford supporter but to put a city budget spin on this issue, with 70,000 new units and 4.5 million sq ft of office space you are talking about hundreds of millions of new tax dollars per year. Many of the cities core areas of service require little additional expediture per tax dollar collected from these new units. These developments are essentially cash cows for the city. So the 300 million dollar question is where the hell does this money go?

It goes nowhere. Doesn't raise a single extra penny of tax revenue for the city.

That's why even with annual "tax increases" during the Miller years, the tax rate fell by 10%, from 0.6565552% in 2003 to 0.5895702% in 2010.

It goes nowhere. Doesn't raise a single extra penny of tax revenue for the city.

That's why even with annual "tax increases" during the Miller years, the tax rate fell by 10%, from 0.6565552% in 2003 to 0.5895702% in 2010.

Please explain !

Back