News   Jul 26, 2024
 980     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Condo air and water quality

With all due respect, you don't have any idea what you're talking about. I install fire alarm systems for a living.

LOL. actually I do...and the fact that you don't. and claim to be an installer, is really scary.

Here's a scenerio that happened at WestOne. Late at night someone was cooking and forgot about it. The stoves here are electric stove tops. The fire detectors are not located in the kitchen. It should be in an open space central area. Anyhow, fire alarm rings and the fire department had to come. Was the alarm set off by heat or smoke?

Here's a scenerio that happened at WestOne. Late at night someone was cooking and forgot about it. The stoves here are electric stove tops. The fire detectors are not located in the kitchen. It should be in an open space central area. Anyhow, fire alarm rings and the fire department had to come. Was the alarm set off by heat or smoke?

I wasn't there so I can't say for sure what happened. Was there a fire to generate the heat (the devices work on a quick increase in temp)? Did the smoke detector go off for a long period of time with no response and a neighbour called the fire department? That happened next door to me and I called 911.

Can you imagine all the false alarms there would be if personal smoke detectors set off the fire alarm? Also the incredible expense of installing systems like that. Think about why you have heat detectors in the unit. If the in suite smoke detectors were attached to the fire alarm system then the heat detectors would be pointless.

It was in the upper floors so I am not too sure of the circumstances. I am using a similar stove and it doesn't generate that much heat for it to trigger alarms. As for the neighbours calling I'm not too sure. I've cooked and burned stuff a bit before but I immediately turn on the fans, open the balcony doors and front door to air out the room. But it wasn't a huge amount of smoke.

If you switch off breakers in your electrical panel, you'll notice that one of the circuits that has lighting on it also controls your smoke detector(s). Right there shows that it's a personal device and not a building wide device.

If you switch off breakers in your electrical panel, you'll notice that one of the circuits that has lighting on it also controls your smoke detector(s). Right there shows that it's a personal device and not a building wide device.

Sorry, but you can't make this claim for every condo in Toronto, perhaps you should ask or look around...not everything is as you think.
It is in breach of the electrical and fire code to have anything other then a smoke detector on a breaker....think about it. If the breaker trips due to a faulty appliance, you're no longer protected.

Maybe you could google CAN (controller area networks) to see how modern life safety devices communicate.

Sorry, but you can't make this claim for every condo in Toronto, perhaps you should ask or look around...not everything is as you think.
It is in breach of the electrical and fire code to have anything other then a smoke detector on a breaker....think about it. If the breaker trips due to a faulty appliance, you're no longer protected.

Maybe you could google CAN (controller area networks) to see how modern life safety devices communicate.

I really suggest you stick to arguing on topics that you know something about.
I AM an electrician and I DO install fire alarm systems. The electrical code specifically requires that smoke detectors be on a LIGHTING CIRCUIT. Why? So if the circuit trips it will be visually obvious.

I could quote you the relevant code but I'm pretty damn sure you don't have a copy of the code anywhere near you. I'm still waiting for you to quote me the codes relevant to your previous claims.

First you slander the quality of my work and imply that I've put thousands of people at risk by doing shody work. Now you're quote non existant rules that are just plain wrong.

Let me tell you something, I'm good at my job, damn good. I'm given a great deal of responsiblity and trust and I'm well paid for it. Lots of people can install a fire alarm system but not many can trouble shoot when it doesn't work. That's when people like me get called. My work is examined with a fine tooth comb by the building inspector, ESA and the fire marshall. If any of what you've claimed was true, trust me I'd know!

Back