News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

Commute from UofT area to York

I'm sure there are other reasons, but when making a big decision like this it makes sense to be as informed as possible. Your commute can actually have a big impact on your life if it is really unbearable. In this case either university would have an easy commute.

An easy commute is a factor in choosing a high school not graduate studies. If DEREK57 can't separate the two I suggest that he is, like many many others, too fond of attending school and terrified of actually getting a job and starting a real life.

Stupid York.

As a York student myself, prepare to mutter that statement frequently. :)

Not really too much to add. The transit trip is pretty straightforward and while it reading it here might look like it takes a while, it's really a snap. I live east of downtown by Donlands station and door-to-door it takes me between 60 and 70 minutes, taking the Bloor-Danforth line to St. George, the University line up to Downview and the 196. So, 40-45 minutes sounds about right if coming from the Annex. The biggest hassle is trying to leave York at certain times of the day, particularly around 17:30. There's a huge bank of classes that lets out at that time and the line-ups for the 196 can sometimes be insanely long. To add insult to injury, the buses are often bunched so you'll stand in a 150 m long line with no buses for 5-10 minutes, and then four of them will show up at once. So, if possible, try to avoid leaving campus at that time.

Another suggestion which, depending on whether you end up further west, like around Bathurst or Christie stations, is to consider taking the 41 Keele bus. It usually won't save you any time, but it can often be less annoyingly crowded than the 196. However, again, avoid taking this bus after about 17:00. Rush hour on Keele can be awful.

There are plenty of options for getting to/from York. Experiment with them and find out which one suits you best.

Oh, and keep in mind that on Sundays the subway doesn't start until 9am. So, should you ever need to be on campus early on a Sunday (I have), definitely do a trip planner first to find out which "night" bus is most convenient for you.

Really? There is no difference in the programs that trumps simple logistics?

Well there are differences, but no clear cut winner. The commute doesn't decide the matter at all - but it is not insignificant. My newly-wed wife will be attending the UofT. Add 1.5 extra hours in transit with already long days, and it does have an impact on my life.

An easy commute is a factor in choosing a high school not graduate studies. If DEREK57 can't separate the two I suggest that he is, like many many others, too fond of attending school and terrified of actually getting a job and starting a real life.

Great analysis of a person you know nothing about. I'm working right now and am doing my MBA (a professionally focused program). You may think 9 hours a week for 2 years is totally insignificant, but I disagree - it will affect my quality of life.

Heck if i spent that time working out, I'd actually be very healthy.

I highly doubt that driving is faster than transit for that commute. The subway has a much higher average speed than you could possibly achieve in a car at rush hour, and the bus flies past traffic using its dedicated lanes and roads. I don't think the time spent transferring between the two (<5 min) would make up for that.

I did a similar commute, from Dufferin/Steeles (somewhat near York U) to U of T, and it is reasonably fast. At Downsview Station going south I always got a seat, but at Queens Park going north I rarely got one until St. George, when there is a big turnover. I know you get a fair bit of reading done on that trip. In one week, I was able to read most of Jane Jacob's "The Death and Life of Great American Cities".

If you do take transit, you should get to know the system or keep a map on you in case of a subway shut down. I absolutely never take the shuttle bus service because there will be a long wait to get on a bus, and the bus will be overcrowded and often slow. There are always regular-service alternatives (though these may become overcrowded too, depending on how obvious they are). It amazed me that when the Yonge subway shut down last year, people were telling the news people that they had waited up to an hour to get on the shuttle bus. In that time, they could have already gotten to their destination if they had just taken the Spadina line instead and then taken a regular bus back to Yonge.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but when making a big decision like this it makes sense to be as informed as possible. Your commute can actually have a big impact on your life if it is really unbearable. In this case either university would have an easy commute.

Thanks a lot. I will keep this in mind when picking an apartment (access to subway> easier access to roads going north).

As a York student myself, prepare to mutter that statement frequently. :)

Not really too much to add. The transit trip is pretty straightforward and while it reading it here might look like it takes a while, it's really a snap. I live east of downtown by Donlands station and door-to-door it takes me between 60 and 70 minutes, taking the Bloor-Danforth line to St. George, the University line up to Downview and the 196. So, 40-45 minutes sounds about right if coming from the Annex. The biggest hassle is trying to leave York at certain times of the day, particularly around 17:30. There's a huge bank of classes that lets out at that time and the line-ups for the 196 can sometimes be insanely long. To add insult to injury, the buses are often bunched so you'll stand in a 150 m long line with no buses for 5-10 minutes, and then four of them will show up at once. So, if possible, try to avoid leaving campus at that time.

Another suggestion which, depending on whether you end up further west, like around Bathurst or Christie stations, is to consider taking the 41 Keele bus. It usually won't save you any time, but it can often be less annoyingly crowded than the 196. However, again, avoid taking this bus after about 17:00. Rush hour on Keele can be awful.

There are plenty of options for getting to/from York. Experiment with them and find out which one suits you best.

Oh, and keep in mind that on Sundays the subway doesn't start until 9am. So, should you ever need to be on campus early on a Sunday (I have), definitely do a trip planner first to find out which "night" bus is most convenient for you.

Thanks alot too!

I can't imagine anything would ever motivate me to get to school by 9am on a monday. But we'll see, school can do some evil stuff. :p

Wow, judgey much? A commute is a huge part of one's daily life. And as he said, it's not the only factor but one factor being considered.

Sounds like maybe you're the one with a personal issue here ;)

Back