2K     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 30, 2024
 616     0 

Commons backs NORAD pact 257-30

C

cacruden

Note: Looks like partisans that were ripping the Conservatives for this deal, forgot to talk to the party heads -- oh yes, this board is overwelmingly left (NDP territory) :rollin

Commons backs NORAD pact 257-30

Canadian Press

Ottawa — The House of Commons voted late Monday to renew and expand the NORAD pact, a keystone of Canada's defence for half a century.

Both the Conservative government, which signed the latest renewal agreement, and the Liberals, who oversaw the renewal process, support the deal.

The latest version of the Canada-U.S. treaty, which expands its watch over sea approaches as well as air and space, passed 257-30.

It also makes the deal permanent, eliminating the need for five-year renewals, although both countries retain the right of periodic review and can drop out on a year's notice.

The NDP objects to provisions of the treaty, which they say will compromise Canadian sovereignty and draw Canada into the controversial American missile-defence program.

The government denies that sovereignty will be compromised or that Canada will be bound to missile defence — a program the Liberals refused to join.

NORAD began in 1958, during the Cold War, as a joint effort to defend North America from the threat of attack by Soviet bombers over the North Pole. Then, it was known as the North American Air-Defence Command.

It has been renewed nine times since, expanding its role to watch for missile and space-based dangers. Now, it's the North American Aerospace Defence Command.

Its headquarters in a bomb-proof burrow under a mountain at Colorado Springs, Colo., is run by an American commander, with a Canadian as deputy.

It uses far-flung radars and satellites to monitor the skies and space and now will turn its gaze down to sea level.

No big surprise. Shows a degree of spinelessness that is really quite embarassing. Bloody shame really.

Funny, but I find this board pretty centrist when weighted. Is it bad that there are no deep, right wing social conservative god-and-gun, women-are-inferior, gays-are-sick nutbars here? They appear in other areas of the net. And under damp rocks in dark spaces, and such...

Funny, but I find this board pretty centrist when weighted.

I think this board is to the left of the average Joe Canadian... not that there's anything wrong with that...

seinfeld.lrg.jpg

Is it bad that there are no deep, right wing social conservative god-and-gun, women-are-inferior, gays-are-sick nutbars here?
Well, if you catch me on a bad (and usually drunken) day...

Back