News   Aug 16, 2024
 158     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 298     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 262     0 

co-op experience or accredited in Canada? Which is more important?

duffman2003

Member Bio
Reaction score
As the title suggests, co-op experience or being accredited in Canada? Which is more important?

In a dilemma here!

UofT has co-op, but not really accredited in Canada for their city studies program.

Ryerson is accredited in their urban planning program, but does not have the co-op experience that UofT has..

From what I've been reading in the career forums, many of the graduates with co-op experience are in favour of getting a job over someone who hasn't had any experience. (Don't get me wrong, there are still a number of people who have gotten a job(s) w/o any experience.)

I was thinking of transferring 2nd year to UofT Scarborough.

Thoughts, comments, advice, help?!?!

Basically, from a lot of reading on some forums, I've noticed that people will eventually need the experience for their jobs after they graduate.. I am really worried that I won't be able to find a job without any co-op experience if I continue to stay in the Urban Planning program at Ryerson..

If someone could give me an insight, that'd be great!

Thanks...

I know several people in the Planning program at Ryerson and they're all managing to get work experience during the summer outside of a structured co-op system. I'm working with one right now.

I'm at Waterloo.

Co-op does help you, there is no doubt in that, but at Waterloo the majority of people hate our system.

From the planners I speak too... getting a job always amounts to job experience. Also any new job you get, they will train you. Its just the amount of experience in general you have. It is nice to have a 'planning job' but there are other skills you can learn outside of the planning field.

Just don't waste your time. If you don't do co-op don't spend your summers doing nothing. Like I said, job experience is job experience. Other planners before you worked at retail and food chains just like us students.. so they know.

Also, I just have to put this out there...

Come to Waterloo. :)

You do client based studios during 3rd and 4th year at Ryerson. You can use these studios as professional experience, since they are often real projects. Some of my references are actually from studio projects I completed in the past, like staff from Adam Vaughan's office for example.

PS. There are also work placements that you can take in 3rd and 4th year at Ryerson. Talk to professor Kosny about them for more information.

I'm at Waterloo.

Co-op does help you, there is no doubt in that, but at Waterloo the majority of people hate our system.

From the planners I speak too... getting a job always amounts to job experience. Also any new job you get, they will train you. Its just the amount of experience in general you have. It is nice to have a 'planning job' but there are other skills you can learn outside of the planning field.

Just don't waste your time. If you don't do co-op don't spend your summers doing nothing. Like I said, job experience is job experience. Other planners before you worked at retail and food chains just like us students.. so they know.

Also, I just have to put this out there...

Come to Waterloo. :)

Haha! Thanks for the offer, but Waterloo is too expensive + too far for me to be going to school there. It's really my budget that I am considering and because of that I have to stay in the GTA. As for job experience, I have had previous job experiences, but none really close to my field of study. I have worked with kids at summer camps and have worked at a restaurant for my High School Co-op. What kind of jobs are there that are related to my field??

As for the studio projects, I have heard about this from my friend who says we get projects in 3rd and 4th year from real companies who then grade our level of work based on their cirriculum.. Can we actually put these on our resumes? I mean, we haven't exactly worked with these people, we just do the work that is being assigned to us..

As far as work placements go, I haven't heard about this for 3rd and 4th year. All the brochures and advertisements said were the mandatory trips that the upper levels get to go on..

Finally, one more question. As far as international recongition goes (let's say Asia, Europe, etc.), how does Ryerson stand compared to the other Urban programs in Canada? I know there are only several that are accredited in Canada, but if I were to take this degree of mine, how would it be viewed there??

Thank you all for taking the time to explain to me about how everything works so far!

Haha! Thanks for the offer, but Waterloo is too expensive + too far for me to be going to school there. It's really my budget that I am considering and because of that I have to stay in the GTA. As for job experience, I have had previous job experiences, but none really close to my field of study. I have worked with kids at summer camps and have worked at a restaurant for my High School Co-op. What kind of jobs are there that are related to my field??

As for the studio projects, I have heard about this from my friend who says we get projects in 3rd and 4th year from real companies who then grade our level of work based on their cirriculum.. Can we actually put these on our resumes? I mean, we haven't exactly worked with these people, we just do the work that is being assigned to us..

As far as work placements go, I haven't heard about this for 3rd and 4th year. All the brochures and advertisements said were the mandatory trips that the upper levels get to go on..

Finally, one more question. As far as international recongition goes (let's say Asia, Europe, etc.), how does Ryerson stand compared to the other Urban programs in Canada? I know there are only several that are accredited in Canada, but if I were to take this degree of mine, how would it be viewed there??

Thank you all for taking the time to explain to me about how everything works so far!

Yes, you can use studio experience on your resume. I have been networking with lots of people in the industry and all have said to use it. Try to take a leadership role in your group, and take advantage of your client. I worked closely with my client during the 4th year project and we still keep in touch. Many students didn't take advantage of the opportunity, so make sure you do. You actually DO work with these people during this time, so be sure to stand out in front of them.

As for the work placement, you can only do it once in your 4 years. If you take it 3rd year, you can't do it again in 4th.
You can find more info here:

http://www.ryerson.ca/surp/current/undergraduate/placements.html

As for international recognition, you will realize during your field trips that Ryerson Planning Alumni are all over the world. Experience will always matter more than what school you go to anyway.

Yes, you can use studio experience on your resume. I have been networking with lots of people in the industry and all have said to use it. Try to take a leadership role in your group, and take advantage of your client. I worked closely with my client during the 4th year project and we still keep in touch. Many students didn't take advantage of the opportunity, so make sure you do. You actually DO work with these people during this time, so be sure to stand out in front of them.

As for the work placement, you can only do it once in your 4 years. If you take it 3rd year, you can't do it again in 4th.
You can find more info here:

http://www.ryerson.ca/surp/current/undergraduate/placements.html

As for international recognition, you will realize during your field trips that Ryerson Planning Alumni are all over the world. Experience will always matter more than what school you go to anyway.

Hey, I checked out the info regarding the placements. I was just wondering whether or not the procedures would be like co-op then since it's a placement. It doesn't really say anything about whether we get paid or not. But I guess job experience is the more important thing for me.

Also, what do you mean by taking a role in leadership towards our client?

Hey, I checked out the info regarding the placements. I was just wondering whether or not the procedures would be like co-op then since it's a placement. It doesn't really say anything about whether we get paid or not. But I guess job experience is the more important thing for me.

Also, what do you mean by taking a role in leadership towards our client?

You don't get paid for the placements. You simply get experience, a credit and a grade.

When you do the client based projects, a good way to organize the group is to divide roles. I was the communications lead for my group in 4th year which meant I was the primary contact with the client. Everything went through me. This allowed me to get closer to the client than other group members and also helped build some communication skills.

Does it make a huge difference whether I do it 3rd year or 4th? Also, are these the same as our field trips or are they 2 separate things altogether? What would you recommend ??

In my experience getting the job always depends on who you know. Through co-op you get access to the network of higher ups who control the hidden job market. All of my jobs were gained this way.

Now that I know the Ryerson program has some sort of placement opportunities, I feel a lot more comfortable and confident in getting a job... but co-op still would've worked out a lot better in my opinion...

Back