News   May 08, 2024
 324     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 537     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 794     0 

CNE Archives on YouTube

Nice link!

You know, I've lived in Toronto for 10 years now and still have never been to the Ex...Ridiculous?

well, you've long since missed it's golden years... it's all way too corporate nowadays. But for some reason I still go every year.

I try and go most years, as I find it a bit of fun as long as you take it as it is. Where else can you buy a ginsu knife, eat cotton candy, and play Crown & Anchor all in one day?

It was corporate back in the day as well but in a better way. Better Living Building actually had amazing coming soon products. Imagine Apple's Ipad being available here first. Same with the Automotive building where that year's new models were displayed. And 1 cent cups of Coca-Cola was an amazing offer at Food Building. Today most of the buildings resemble cheap flea markets. And the Food Building is no different that most mall food courts.

Great link. What Ed007Toronto said. The Ex had a bit of a Worlds Fair vibe until 1980 I think. It's all perspective I suppose. Someone older than me might say the slide downwards began in 1960. :)

My elderly parents (in their 80s) don't go anymore although they could. They took us youngsters annually. Wife and I visited yesterday; I think it's one of Toronto's Great Evening Strolls. It's $5 after 5pm to get in on Mondays thru Thursdays. Labour day excepted.

Strange to see "H Salt Fish and Chips" there.. it used to be a chain. I don't think anyone owns the rights anymore.

The Air Show last year was something because the Blue Angels were there; lots of heavy hardware and noisy too. This years program seems skimpy so I'll pass.

If you haven't been before, it's worth a look. The archives display is usually pretty good, and gives you a chance to see what it was.

I think they need to do a few things:

Food Building: get some better/interesting vendors in there. It's bit too much like a mall food court.

Grounds: somehow make use of the other buildings on the ground. It seems to me like all the beaux arts buildings are cordoned off, which lends the exhibition the feeling that it's in the parking lot of somewhere else.

Exhibitions: why not try and tie in some other shows? I don't know how that would work, but the Sportsmen's show, the Autoshow, etc., would be great to have running at the same time. Why not try and incorporate arts events, surely you could use one of the halls to showcase Toronto based artists.

Parking: Why not look at building undergorund garages and then utilizing the space above for greenery?

Those are just some suggestions, but they boil down to this: the CNE needs to work on becoming relevant and of interest to people's lives beyond the simple fair aspects.

Back