News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

CMHC study on New Urbanist Neighbourhoods

Indeed. Interesting to note that NU didn't affect public transit use at all in the examples - only increases walking and reduces driving. The marginal impact it has on social interactions is a bit disappointing - and it's interesting to see that the average family size is smaller - which might be the driver behind lower rates of car use (fewer kids -> less need to take them anywhere)

AoD

Also interesting, people in New Urbanist communities are more likely to have lived in a dense, urban setting previously in their lives than people living in "conventional" suburbs. Seems like downtowners who move to the 'burbs for whatever reason still desire a more urban setting.

NU houses have extremely small backyards, so I'd think a fair number of people already living in generic suburbia who want more room (and lots of people want to garden, or a place for kids/dogs to play, or just 'space' between them and their neighbours) might look to more traditional subdivisions for this reason alone. What kind of people would respond better to the advertising/branding of a place like Cornell? I don't think it's been marketed as 'value' or for the houses themselves (like the 'luxury bungalows in a ravine setting' shtick used to sell half of Pickering), but if they have marketed it as walkable or 'a nice community' or something like that, I'm sure people will perceive these qualities to be true even if they aren't, if only because people are going to be optimistic and forthcoming with praise about things they've purchased if they've gone out of their way to buy something unique.

Little things can help in NU places, like the locations of schools and convenience retail, to increase walking and cut down on driving, and sidewalks and parkettes and so on would encourage strolling and interaction, but it's hard to separate neighbourhood design from the natural behaviour of the people living there...if a neighbourhood was built with NU qualities passively embedded into the design, and not hyped up as a different/better kind of community, what sorts of people would live there and would the same slightly better scores on these metrics be attained? If the traditional suburban sites had 10% more people living there who sought an 'urban community,' would they attain a better score on these metrics or would their urban ambitions be crushed by McMansions and a lack of sidewalks? Of course, this what-if scenario requires an unbranded NU community, and a differently branded traditional subdivision, which means no real examples may ever exist to compare.

The study shows NU places exhibit more neighbourly chatting but anyone who's ever lived in a new development knows that chatting with strangers and known neighbours is frequent in the first few years, even when there's significant age/language/whatever barriers. Yet this chatting dies off quickly when there's no more gossip about the development to share, like construction issues, and what upgrades did you get, and when are they going to build the school, and did you hear about the stores going into that plaza, and also (especially?) when residents and demographics begin changing. The two Calgary NU places are newer than the traditional suburbs, while the age of the traditional Montreal area isn't listed. Cornell is listed as older than Woodbine North but Cornell is a massive community that is still mostly unfinished. The newness of the NU sites could easily account for a few percentage points of increased socialization.

I have been a resident of Cornell for 10 years now so hopefully I can bring a different perspective. When we moved in we found most new residents moved to Cornell specifically for the reasons marketed (ie. all the NU benefits). Floor plans, sq ft, privacy, etc were not the main criteria for choosing Cornell (unlike most other suburbia communities). I am aware of many new home owners at that time who moved from The Beaches. As Cornell has grown I would say that a higher % of new residents don't fully understand the concept of new urbanism. Some have grown to understand and love the concept where others have moved out because they didn't like the closeness, people intruding on your privacy, limits to fence heights, no overnight parking, etc. Over time I think the community will evolve to the point where resident desires with mess with NU. In some cases people will change and in other cases they already come to the community with this mindset. Unfortunately, less than half of the low rise homes have been built and basically none of the higher density units are there yet. This also impacts the demographics of the community although we do have over 200 coach house apartments and 100 live/work that are usually rented out which helps.

It will likely be 30 years before Cornell is built out but there are some things planed over the next couple of years that should get the ball rolling.
- The Markham-Stouffville Hospital that is a part of our community will be doubling it's size after its completion in 2014, adding 1,000 jobs (many residents already work there) and likely many more spin off jobs.
- Ground broke last week on our $75M community Centre that will actually connect to the hospital. Since they went with a parking garage this 130,000 sqft facility requires just 6 acres on land.
- A medical building next to the hospital is in the later stages of completion.
- A multi-use path will be completed in the next 2-3 years that will connect the south portion of Cornell to Milne Park and Unionville.
- Construction of a 13 bay bus terminal is scheduled to start next year with completion in 2013.
- Sales for a 12 storey condo building on the north side of Hwy 7 are expected to start this fall.
- Land has been cleared on the south side of Hwy 7 for Retail. The retail will be set back from Hwy7 as Condos have been approved for along Hwy 7. Most of the large box retail will face away from Hwy 7 and onto a private "Main st." with the other side lined with live/work and more condos planned for behind the live/work units.

The plans for Cornell have grown over the years. The current plan is to have 40,000 residents in 16,000 residential units and 11-13,000 employment opportunities. Approx. 6,000 of the residential units will be high density (ie. condos). I believe that over time we will see many benefits from the way that Cornell was developed. There will be some mistakes but for the most part it will be use as a model for a new suburban community, especially considering it proximity to non-urban areas which will make the execution more difficult.

Also interesting, people in New Urbanist communities are more likely to have lived in a dense, urban setting previously in their lives than people living in "conventional" suburbs. Seems like downtowners who move to the 'burbs for whatever reason still desire a more urban setting.

Especially today--which is a measure of what "dense urbanity" means today compared to half a century ago. Back then, people escaped the citiy because the city was an old, declining, obsolete crock. Today, those who escape the city are more likely to do so because they've been priced out...

It sounds like New Urbanism is definitely an improvement over the postwar suburban model; however, isolated New Urban communities in suburban areas may not realize their true urban potential. The communities can't provide everything their residents need and so they must travel to the car-oriented areas around them, predictably by car.

But, again, if half the people in the Beaches move to Cornell, you're going to get a different community than what you'd end up with if the houses were marketed for square footage and value and access to the 407 and Rouge scenery...you might end up with "a community," and not just a bunch of people living near each other. So, if Cornell actually is a slight improvement over something like the miserableness along Woodbine, does the credit go to New Urbanist design or to people eager to buy into something they perceive to be a better community? These people can help urbanize anything if they really want to, and such an effort is clearly being made in Cornell by some of the people living there. If the percentage of people doing so declines over time, Cornell's suburban fringe location will dilute all of this progress.

But, again, if half the people in the Beaches move to Cornell, you're going to get a different community than what you'd end up with if the houses were marketed for square footage and value and access to the 407 and Rouge scenery...you might end up with "a community," and not just a bunch of people living near each other. So, if Cornell actually is a slight improvement over something like the miserableness along Woodbine, does the credit go to New Urbanist design or to people eager to buy into something they perceive to be a better community? These people can help urbanize anything if they really want to, and such an effort is clearly being made in Cornell by some of the people living there. If the percentage of people doing so declines over time, Cornell's suburban fringe location will dilute all of this progress.

I think you need to have a properly planned community as well. If you try to move someone to a traditional suburbia development they will try to socialize but will be limited by the services they can walk/bike to. Also, most communities in the Suburbs have sidewalks on only one side of the street so they may no foot traffic in front of their house. There have been many times that I has sat on my porch (less than 3m from the sidwalk) and talked to strangers as they walked by in front. The environment is very important for socializing.

I think you need to have a properly planned community as well. If you try to move someone to a traditional suburbia development they will try to socialize but will be limited by the services they can walk/bike to. Also, most communities in the Suburbs have sidewalks on only one side of the street so they may no foot traffic in front of their house. There have been many times that I has sat on my porch (less than 3m from the sidwalk) and talked to strangers as they walked by in front. The environment is very important for socializing.

I never said the environment isn't important for socializing. What I said was that little things like more sidewalks and well-situated parks can encourage more interaction, though a lack of sidewalks doesn't prevent interaction, either...actually, a lack of sidewalks when replaced by driveways and lawns can also stimulate interaction by getting more people out in front of their house. People do chat when they're cutting the grass or shovelling the snow. Let's be honest here: there's almost nothing in Cornell right now. Almost any traditional suburban subdivision will have equivalent access to schools and stores and so on. The built environment might start to have an impact when Cornell is done.

I also said that people desiring a more urban lifestyle can live a more urban lifestyle pretty much wherever they want and that Cornell's slightly better scores than Woodbine (or any NU area vs a traditional subdivision) on these metrics may be due to little more than successful branding that has helped to concentrate 'urban village'-type folk. If more people living in NU areaas are moving from more urban areas rather than from generic suburbia, NU is not changing their behaviour.

If Cornell and other NU sites are being built around hospitals, shopping streets, transit terminals, 12 storey condos, etc., we could also consider whether or not it's best to think of them as potentially superior subdivisions, or as potentially inferior urban areas, or maybe as something in between. Suburban vs urban in Toronto is not the divide it is in the US or places like Calgary since Toronto's post-war suburbia was built with the enormous density of tower clusters and townhouses, is being substantially retrofitted into Avenues, was built as Don Mills-style community nodes around schools/shopping/paths, etc. Is Cornell a better model than Don Mills? Is branded quaintness really what's needed to get urbanites to move to the suburban fringe?

Last edited:

Back