News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.1K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

Just came across this old render again... Just wanted to compare the two...

cityplaceparadebase.jpg

DSCN2151.jpg

The rendering is for Luna (or at least a future development), not Montage and Neo.

I can see though how someone might get confused about that (either way) because from what I see, the east half of Parade looks very similar to the Montage / Neo complex.

Montage is looking like it will be one of the most attractive towers of the group... it seems to be just about the only one of the group where there are different elements and finishes at different heights.

CSW2424 - no need to apologize for the photos - CityPlace is tall and shiny, great for photos! We just need some greenery instead of dirty piles of snow...

My mistake then. My first thought was, how much better I liked the render than what Neo is looking like now.

So in that case, wow, Parade is gonna look great!

Casaguy's comparison made me notice that the shorter east tower in Parade has a lot of affinities with Neo. Good Job.

I was kind of liking the "commie block" styling of Neo initially, especially with the idea of the offset red brick; until I saw the bricks in question. Now, I personally love bricks, especially red bricks. However I hate that faux pre-cast "brick" garbage, which is exactly what this is. To make things worse, the patterning is strange, in that each row and column is aligned. There's no offset between the positioning of each row, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Why did they do this? I've never seen real bricks laid in that manner. It honesty looks terrible, when it could've been so much better. I don't mind Cityplace overall (gasp!) but stupid touches like this keep cheapening it more so.

Now this is Cityplace after all, but in my personal alternate dream Toronto (where blatant cheapness and savage heritage destruction don't exist) Neo would've looked much better with real(!) red brick, with some nice lighter mortar for texture/contrast.

I was kind of liking the "commie block" styling of Neo initially, especially with the idea of the offset red brick; until I saw the bricks in question. Now, I personally love bricks, especially red bricks. However I hate that faux pre-cast "brick" garbage, which is exactly what this is. To make things worse, the patterning is strange, in that each row and column is aligned. There's no offset between the positioning of each row, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Why did they do this? I've never seen real bricks laid in that manner. It honesty looks terrible, when it could've been so much better. I don't mind Cityplace overall (gasp!) but stupid touches like this keep cheapening it more so.

There are certain 40s/50s modern buildings with such vertically-aligned brick patterns in places--perhaps I'd look to that as a precedent...

That's a pretty narrow frame for appreciating brickwork. If these "bricks" bend you out of shape so much, don't stand so close.

That's a pretty narrow frame for appreciating brickwork. If these "bricks" bend you out of shape so much, don't stand so close.

I'd buy that perhaps if they were even real bricks. And even from a distance, I'm not impressed.

Besides, I don't see how it's a narrow frame. This patterning looks bad in my opinion, but that's just one of many ways of laying bricks.

The style of the bricklaying on Neo (bricks vertically lined up with eachother) is simply even more linear and modernist than other methods, in my opinion, even if they are faux panels and not laid brick.

It's a very interesting touch!

Back