News   Jul 26, 2024
 903     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     3 

CityPlace Masterplan

PS. The two towers are supposed to be 30 floors and a total of 655 units are supposed to be built - I can't see how many of these are market rent etc..

Dont get it...the area residents where up in arms regarding the 41 storey nicely designed aA building that they eventually stalled, now there getting more density with two likely half-ass 30 storey buildings, i guess only the residents of the upper floors of the neighbouring towers are the ones smiling now.

I laugh at the "Jamestown" comments from 4 years ago. I've been living in CityPlace for 2 years now and it's a huge success. Absolutely love it.

whats your definition of a huge success?...didnt see one article anyone praising this project...

Dont get it...the area residents where up in arms regarding the 41 storey nicely designed aA building that they eventually stalled, now there getting more density with two likely half-ass 30 storey buildings, i guess only the residents of the upper floors of the neighbouring towers are the ones smiling now.

Residents were angry at the 41 storey Block 31 tower because it was never planned to be a 41 storey tower, and it would have affected views, and cast shadows on areas that needed sun (ie. Luna's pool/sun deck). The only reason it went up to 41 storeys was because that was the only way it would be affordable for TCHC. By time they were ready to build, 41 storeys was no longer affordable, and more floors would have had to be added. The project is currently on hold not just because of community concerns about height, but because TCHC can't afford to build it.

img-3.jpg

I was surprised to see that "Master Planned" seems to be a happy selling point in recent condo literature. When I first saw CityPlace touting a "Master Plan", I thought "uh-oh!". Not that master planning ever went away, but we seemed to have developed a healthy suspicion of its merits after the second world war, when a lot of sterile and forbidding work was carried out.

Now, though, it's back big-time, with all the ultra-mega-developments happening all over the world. Especially places like Dubai.

I wonder if 'Master Planned' hasn't become a code word denoting something of a certain income bracket, forecasting a certain kind of social environment. Something like "gated community" but less chintzy and phobic, more sophisticated and urbane.
CityPlace, interestingly enough, does have that "touch-o'-Brasilia" feeling - functionalist living antiseptically separated from funkiness - though without Brasilia's consuming artistry. It's commercially somewhere between art and 'The Projects' - also master planned communities. Though I imagine a lot of people in CityPlace would suffer spikes in their blood pressure if you called it a "Master Project" - which it kind of is, if you look at is as a singular commercial enterprise.

It's interesting, too, we don't have alternate terms for this kind of thing. "Mistress Planned" sounds racy. "Lady Planned" is a bit pink, and "Ms. Planned" sounds like a mistake.
I wonder what bells the termed "Mistress Planned Community" would ring?

Last edited:
How about messed up plan...that damn traffic light coming off the Gardiner is causing huge traffic jams for the Spadina offramp...was that part of the master plan?

How about messed up plan...that damn traffic light coming off the Gardiner is causing huge traffic jams for the Spadina offramp...was that part of the master plan?

That's the price cars have to pay to share their city with people, I suppose.

You can't have both a livable downtown and an over-the-ground highways on the waterfront. I prefer the first.

To be fair, the traffic has almost nothing to do with CityPlace. Adam Vaughan has said that over 80% of people living in CityPlace DO NOT drive to work. The whole Lakeshore/Gardiner/Spadina intersection is going to be reworked this fall to make things flow a bit easier. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Im worried about Fort York Boulevard though. Once it opens up to Bathurst Street, I fear that people using Front Street will switch to Fort York. Luckily, its built more like a local road than a thoroughfare (stop sign every block), so traffic speed wont be much of an issue. Its the congestion i'm worried about.

Last edited:
To be fair, the traffic has almost nothing to do with CityPlace. Adam Vaughan has said that over 80% of people living in CityPlace DO NOT drive to work. The whole Lakeshore/Gardiner/Spadina intersection is going to be reworked this fall to make things flow a bit easier. Hopefully it makes a difference.

That sounds good. Hopefully, they'll come up with a way for cyclists to get to Queen's Quay down Spadina without having to cross two lanes of congested traffic. (Spadina's curb lane as well as the lane beside the curb lane exit onto the Gardiner.)

To be fair, the traffic has almost nothing to do with CityPlace. Adam Vaughan has said that over 80% of people living in CityPlace DO NOT drive to work. The whole Lakeshore/Gardiner/Spadina intersection is going to be reworked this fall to make things flow a bit easier. Hopefully it makes a difference. I'm worried about Fort York Boulevard though. Once it opens up to Bathurst Street, I fear that people using Front Street will switch to Fort York. Luckily, its built more like a local road than a thoroughfare (stop sign every block), so traffic speed wont be much of an issue. Its the congestion i'm worried about.

I live in CityPlace and walk to work even though I've got a car and love to drive.

Any more info on how they're redesigning the Lakeshore/Gardiner/Spadina intersection? Right now it's crazy trying to exit from Fort York Blvd on to Spadina from CityPlace. The light is 10 seconds long and only about 3 or 4 cars make it out each time.

I'm curious, is CityPlace generally not loved by this entire forum, or is it just a few vocal members constantly knocking it?

To be honest, from the little real estate knowagle I have I find some agents argue it should be avoided but other love it and push younger clients to it all the time.

If you read online you'll see a lot of negative but postive as well. You can group me in the 'hater' category originally but my stance has subdued over time. While the built form is lacking i.e. the large open space between the buildings (I'm referring to the 1 to 2 story amenity space) is horrific I find the quality of the buildings (from the outside.. no clue otherwise) quite high from the 2nd floor up. Really most of the buildings in cityplace (at least in the last 5 or 6 years) would rank among the top condo developments. Though a couple are simple boxes most are not!

Retail is still a large negative in my books but I like the execution of the little retail that does exist, I just think so much more was possible, particularly around the park (what about a cafe or two!). I'm not so big on the office space bit anymore ... I think what should have happened was the podiums should have been 4-10 stories tall and any office space (and building amenity space) should have been added there.

To be fair some of the mid end suites are very nicely designed.The planning is a mess...imagine the amount of prime retail space that could have been place in this location to serve the residences,one Sobey and some nasty food establishments doesnt cut it as a master plan.The bridge should be awesome though,if some one can build a restaurant on that span its be amazing...

Back