News   May 13, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Cityplace - 20th Anniversary Promotion

aiekon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw an article in The Condo Guide (I think) about Cityplace having a 20th Anniversary promotion. The first 20 people to buy at any Cityplace property will receive 20% of the purchase price back in cash.

The Cityplace website has been updated to reflect the promotion.

I saw that too ... developers are getting aggressive with their marketing to unload inventory !

What I don't understand is why cash-back at closing vs. immediate reduction on list price because a unit at 20% cheaper will get a greater pool of buyers and qualifiers for mortgage.

I saw that too ... developers are getting aggressive with their marketing to unload inventory !

What I don't understand is why cash-back at closing vs. immediate reduction on list price because a unit at 20% cheaper will get a greater pool of buyers and qualifiers for mortgage.

I guess so you won't know if you're the first 20 people or not until they close?
If you don't get it, you weren't the first 20 :p

I just stopped by the presentation center to see if I could find out any more info about the 20% cash back offer. It is for Parade 1 and only available on March 28th according to the sales agent. The units that will be part of this offer are apparently undetermined and they will be decided upon at a closer date. I asked if he could show me floor plans and a price list for the condo. He said that they won't give out price lists. I then asked if I could have a list of floor plans. He told me I would be overwhelmed and confused if I saw it... At this point I wasn't too pleased with how I was being treated. He then tried to assure me that they are doing fine with sales and that "over 8000 units have been sold". I told him that the majority of those sales were during better times, wished him Good Luck, and headed on my way home.

Overall, a bad experience... But the ladies at the front desk were cute!

Surely CityPlace can't be 20 years at this point. Not even 10 I would think.

I think it is intended to celebrate 20 years old for Concord Pacific (Vancouver) and Concord Adex (Toronto) ... while Toronto's Cityplace is a younger baby, Vancouver Expo Lands project (Concord Pacific Place) has been going on for quite a while ;)

I just stopped by the presentation center to see if I could find out any more info about the 20% cash back offer. It is for Parade 1 and only available on March 28th according to the sales agent. The units that will be part of this offer are apparently undetermined and they will be decided upon at a closer date. I asked if he could show me floor plans and a price list for the condo. He said that they won't give out price lists. I then asked if I could have a list of floor plans. He told me I would be overwhelmed and confused if I saw it... At this point I wasn't too pleased with how I was being treated. He then tried to assure me that they are doing fine with sales and that "over 8000 units have been sold". I told him that the majority of those sales were during better times, wished him Good Luck, and headed on my way home.

just to make you feel better, Cityplace doesn't even have a 'pricelist' as we would normally get from a sales office with the brochure, the only pricelist is an excel chart that their sales staff read off if you asked about pricing on a specific floorplan ... that's their way of doing business I guess

but normally they give you a book of floorplans I think

the 20% rebate at closing for first 20 customers offer sounds a little too good to be true ... how do you know if you are within the first 20? its too bad that they don't disclose upfront what units are going to be selling at this discount rate ... I suspect this 'first 20' quota would likely be taken by all the RE agents lining up before that day

Unfortunately, that's how they do business at Concord. Good thing you were able to extract from them that they are selling Parade I. It's likely that the 20% off applies only to the overpriced Grand Parade I. I've seen the insane pricing of Grand Parade I and it started 450K of 1B+D and 600-700k for SE and SW corner units. I doubt a lot of those got sold back then.

Here's a typical Concord protocol (based on 2007 and 2008 VIP events)
- Realtors attend bullpen meeting a few weeks before VIP
- Realtors are briefed about VIP and given reservation forms and limited copies of floor plans
- Estimated pricing is also provided but it's a ballpark figure
- Realtors submit reservation forms (pick 3) a few days before VIP date
- On VIP day, buyers arrive with realtors. No realtor, no sale.
- Concord HQ in Vancouver sends final pricing on day itself, per Concord employee (I doubt it though)
- Big time realtors get first dibs. Their clients top picks gets reserved.
- Concord folks call on other realtors and present them the unit assigned to their buyer (based on pick-3, usually the 3rd least desired unit on the reservation form)
- Realtor to "convince" buyer to sign the agreement, just so the buyer has a unit permanently reserved
- Unsold units go into a "basket". A controller keeps tab of the basket. Unsold units from past VIPs also added but pricing adjusted.
- Realtors inquire on what's left in the basket and inform their buyer
- Some buyers want another unit either as a 2nd purchase or to replace the first unit bought earlier
- Process repeated for 3-4 rounds

Personally, I find the practice a bit manipulative, but just like car dealers, they exist to make money.

The entire sales experience from Concord seemed dodgy and very manipulative... Almost like it was still 2007. I was very surprised that the sales agent wouldn't produce more info and wanted to leave me in the dark. I guess this works well for Concord though. When the New Home sales numbers for March are printed, it won't help drag the average price down when doing 20% cash back, thus keeping industry stats higher. As well, the lack of their clarity will probably help put people into Panic Buy Mode.

Did anyone on the board attend the promotion? I walked by and saw a see of people. What kind of deals were they offering?

I found Concord to be very dodgy as well when I went to see them way back in 2002. There just seemed to be no transparency, so I avoided them...and glad I did. While the exteriors I quite like, the interiors of the units I've seen leave much to be desired with cheap finishes and workmanship.

Did anyone on the board attend the promotion? I walked by and saw a see of people. What kind of deals were they offering?

Not saying that this was happening at CP, but my mother told me that developers in HK would sometimes hire people to pose as 'buyers' to create a frenzy amongst potential real buyers.

Typical herd effect psychology ... it must be desirable, so you want to get it too.

Ditto simuls' comments on finishes and workmanship from what I've seen ... also, several years ago a co-worker of mine looked at several units on the east side of Spadina and found there was LOTS of outside noise with the windows closed ... poor quality windows.

Last edited:
Not saying that this was happening at CP, but my mother told me that developers in HK would sometimes hire people to pose as 'buyers' to create a frenzy amongst potential real buyers.

Typical herd effect psychology ... it must be desirable, so you want to get it too.

Ditto simuls' comments on finishes and workmanship from what I've seen ... also, several years ago a co-worker of mine looked at several units on the east side of Spadina and found there was LOTS of outside noise with the windows closed ... poor quality windows.

i've heard the same thing. this gets them free media attention.

several years ago a co-worker of mine looked at several units on the east side of Spadina and found there was LOTS of outside noise with the windows closed ... poor quality windows.

That's strange. I have lived in Cityplace on the east side of Spadina for several years. I always thought the outside noise was well hidden. I have friend that lives at the Hudson ( King and Spadina ). Though that place was full of noise from night clubbers and street cars. This is coming first hand.

Why are the prices so low at cityplace? Is it the bad quality (People seem to say the workmanship sucks)? The area isn't the greatest (not near the subway line)?

The PSF is so low compared to other buildings downtown. I think they're nice looking buildings.

Back