News   Jul 15, 2024
 338     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Rogers has a decent track record of renovating buildings so I'm optimistic. The SkyDome improvements are encouraging.

Keeping in mind that this will be Rogers other most visible physical presence in the city, I'm confident that they will pay close attention into getting the full effect and usage of the Torch building for their 3 main networks.

can anyone tape and maybe put up the BT broadcast on youtube?

Was checking out BT this morning, and the host Kevin was Live at Dundas Square, and he said that they will be moving in, hopefully by March next year.

As Canadian slow pace tradition, his March 2009 probably mean NYE 2009.

The CEO of Rogers Television gave a very candid interview with tons of information about the future of the Torch building today on BT.

Highlights:

- Move in in about 1 year from now
- BT, City Line will be where the Olympic store used to be.
- The large atrium will remain so BT, City Line can take place on both floors and a remote camera can pan between floors. They demonstrate this wide shot.. it looks incredible!
- Torch base: Speaker's Corner or even possibly a Rogers Store (meh).
- Basement: editing suites, technical equipment.
- OMNI and CityTV to remain very separate due to CRTC rules.

This is by far the best thing that could have happened to the Torch building. This isn't gonna be your 2 week renovation. Major stuff is going to take place.

It does not sound like they are building any studios where the present 'torch' is. And I would assume, based upon the fact that much of the space is being used for studios, that the 'adminstration' (and libraries, etc) for both stations will largely remain at either the Lakeshore building, or Rogers headquarters (which would probably make more sense economically as they could sell the Lakeshore property and more than pay for the Torch. (admittingly, a lot of guessing here, folks)).

Any news as to where the news will be done?

Kevin and Dina seemed to indicate this morning that the bridge over the Dundas Street stub is the likely site of the newsroom.

I wonder if Torch's peg leg on the north side will host Speaker's Corner. Not user friendly because folks would have to cross Victoria, but it's such a small "room" maybe it could work.

OlympicSpirit_23Oct07.jpg

------

Discrepancy predicted..... damn right I'll pat myself on the back. It's lonely being 3D. :(

Discrepancy detected.

OK so I tried doing some more research to clear it up and it only got more confusing. Ive discovered that Calgary's Speakers Corner is now run by Bell Globemedia, but there is no word on what is happening with Toronto's or any other Canadian Speakers Corner's. Both Bell and Rogers seem to be claiming them. Currently the booth is located in the Much Music Store. I read an article saying it would stay put and be rebranded by CTV but cant find it now.

For the record, BellGlobeMedia no longer exists. The company is now called CTVGlobeMedia.

OlympicSpirit_23Oct07.jpg

Looking at the above picture, I can't help but wonder how much of a noise problem the streetcars are going to create for the studio(s). It seems like it could be quite a noisy canyon of echoes under that archway for screeeeeching streetcars turning those corners...

Back