News   Aug 09, 2024
 685     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 612     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.4K     2 

City Councilors find new cause: Spell check

I don't see why this is such a big issue. If you know how to spell, then you just leave the word as is, even if you have a US Dictionary. If colour is wrong 11% of the time, it's because those 11% either spell it that way or they corrected it with the spellcheck. It doesn't make it WRONG though. Just inconsistent.
It is annoying though to see the same word spelled in 2 different ways in the same city (or any) document!

The boneheads just have to hit add to add a word or variant spelling to WORD.

As for the decaying city, has anyone walked around with their blinders off? Have you seen Yonge Street lately. It looks like it was modeled after Calcutta.

You mean to tell me that I just got back from two week holiday in Vancouver and Yonge Street's gone to shit?

Well I'll be.....

You should notify the appropriate authorities. This seems serious!

I'm surprised to hear that the city of Toronto apparently doesn't employ a full-time copy editor to ensure conformity in spelling, grammar, and punctuation in official documents. I'd be happy to take that job.

I'm surprised to hear that the city of Toronto apparently doesn't employ a full-time copy editor to ensure conformity in spelling, grammar, and punctuation in official documents. I'd be happy to take that job.

Grammar? Who, or whom, will be undertaking such a roll(, or is it role)? Excuse me while I eat my tomato (pronouned: tuh-mah-toh, not tuh-mey-toh).

It is annoying though to see the same word spelled in 2 different ways in the same city (or any) document!

Consistency would be good, but it's not worth getting bent out of shape over a missing "u" here, or reversed "e" and "r" there.

If we were in Europe, there would be no debate about protecting our culture (of which our language pecularities are most certainly a part of). It's truly sad that some think the issue is a joke.

That being said, setting the computers to support Canadian English should not cost millions.

If we were in Europe, there would be no debate about protecting our culture (of which our language pecularities are most certainly a part of). It's truly sad that some think the issue is a joke.

That being said, setting the computers to support Canadian English should not cost millions.

They cost millions when the contract for replacing them is given to a friend or relative.

They cost millions when the contract for replacing them is given to a friend or relative.

Hmm. Maybe Howard Moscoe will haul Tom Jakobek out of the woodwork and put him in charge of fixing the City Hall computers to write Canadian English.

Tom has plenty of experience. He knows exactly where to get the best computers for the job.

And maybe Dash Domi could help. He's a master of Canadian English.

Which makes we wonder, why is Howard Moscoe getting so high and mighty on Canadian English?

Shouldn't he be defending Toronto English instead?

Toronto English is the most powerful and exciting form of English spoken in Canada.

Last edited:
The thing is you DON'T NEED Canadian English spell-check to spell proper Canadian English. You only need your own brain. It's not a "millions of dollars" problem. If Canadians want to protect their culture, they should be educating their citizens how to spell what they believe to be properly. Of course Canadian English is just an amalgam of British and American English so I hardly think our spellings are worth protecting.

Ooh look at us, we use American spelling like tire and curb (versus tyre and kerb), and American words like gas and hood (versus petrol and bonnet). But then we also use British spellings like colour, honour, valour, centre, theatre (versus color, honor, valor, center, theater). Wow how original. Lemme find that rolling eye smiley.

Shouldn't he be defending Toronto English instead?

Toronto English is the most powerful and exciting form of English spoken in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_A._Lamport

Lamport was well known for his malapropisms. Among some of his quotations:

"All this progress is marvellous... now if only it would stop!"
"It's hard to make predictions - especially about the future."
"I’m lost, but I’m making record time."
"I spent a week in Montreal last weekend."
"We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement."
"We've got to act wisely and otherwisely."
"Let's jump off that bridge when we come to it."
"We have to choose between collapse and ruin."
"What you're telling me is a matter of major insignificance."
"I am a man of sound prejudice."