477     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Cities Named After Toronto.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was doing a little digging and it turns out that there are quite a few cities named after Toronto. Here are the four that I could find that I can verify that are named after Toronto, Ontario:

Toronto, New South Wales, Australia

Toronto, County Durham, United Kingdom

Toronto, Indiana, United States

Toronto, Kansas, United States

There are quite a few other cities named Toronto. But I can't verify whether or not they were named after our city. It is more likely than not that they were:

Toronto, South Dakota, United States

Toronto, Ohio, United States (the second largest Toronto after real Toronto)

Toronto, Iowa, United States

Toronto, Missouri, United States

Tamo, Arkansas, United States (apparently it's also named after Toronto)

Looks like our name is quite popular around the world.

Last edited:
I was doing a little digging and it turns out that there are quite a few cities named after Toronto. Here are the three that I could find that I can verify that are named after Toronto, Ontario:

There are quite a few other cities named Toronto. But I can't verify whether or not they were named after our city. It is more likely than not that they were:

Toronto, Ohio definitely was named after our Toronto. Toronto NSW is actually larger now than the Ohio city (which still clings to city status).

*Ahem* http://spacing.ca/toronto/2012/11/02/a-visit-to-toronto-ohio/

8137133116_b4584577f3_z.jpg

I would love to see these roll down the streets of real Toronto one day. Maybe during the Santa Clause parade. :D

8137129892_56c09f0053_z.jpg

Wow. Toronto is booming.

The paint scheme of the Toronto OH Police cars are somewhat similar to ours, though I liked how that cop car had the lights reversed - when red and blue are both used, the convention is the red on the left over the driver (or port side, just like the red light on a boat) and blue on the right. The car next to it has the proper lightbar placement.

I was doing a little digging and it turns out that there are quite a few cities named after Toronto. Here are the four that I could find that I can verify that are named after Toronto, Ontario:

Toronto, New South Wales, Australia

Toronto, County Durham, United Kingdom

Toronto, Indiana, United States

Toronto, Kansas, United States

Toronto, South Dakota, United States

Toronto, Iowa, United States

Toronto, Missouri, United States

Tamo, Arkansas, United States (apparently it's also named after Toronto)

Looks like our name is quite popular around the world.

I'm not sure about the one in Iowa, since the Wikipedia entry contains some of the same explanation as for the one in County Durham (there's also a Quebec in County Durham).

I like the story behind Toronto, NSW, for which there are many interesting archival images:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/uon/tags/toronto/

I'm not sure about the one in Iowa, since the Wikipedia entry contains some of the same explanation as for the one in County Durham (there's also a Quebec in County Durham).

I like the story behind Toronto, NSW, for which there are many interesting archival images:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/uon/tags/toronto/
The explanations for Toronto, County Durham, UK + Toronto, Indiana + Toronto, Kansas + Toronto, Iowa are all exactly the same.

However, that explanation only makes sense for Toronto, County Durham, UK.

It makes me wonder if some yahoo didn't just mess with the Wiki entries, like they did for Canada, and the Queen of marijuana.

The explanations for Toronto, County Durham, UK + Toronto, Indiana + Toronto, Kansas + Toronto, Iowa are all exactly the same.

However, that explanation only makes sense for Toronto, County Durham, UK.

It makes me wonder if some yahoo didn't just mess with the Wiki entries, like they did for Canada, and the Queen of marijuana.
Almost anyone can write almost anything on Wikipedia. I know this, since I am among the top 2400 editors on said website since December 2006. It would be great to have more pending changes (as semi-protection would be useful for more troublesome articles).

Back