News   Jul 31, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 353     2 

Cities are the best invention (Upcoming Lecture)

Danielinthecity

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but I got invited and thought others may be interested (should we have another section entitled 'academic' or 'lecture' or 'books' or something of that nature IF this isn't in the right section?).

Hope Ford attends...despite the price (which seems steep to me), he's rich enough so he should attend.

Anyway, here it is...
-----------------------
5:00 sharp to 6:15pm presentation and Q&A – Tuesday March 1, 2011
MBA Classroom 147 (ground floor), Rotman School of Management, 105 St. George Street, Toronto (ON)

You and your guests are invited to register for this next session of our ongoing Urban Economics Experts Speaker Series @ Rotman.

Registration check-in will be available from 4:30 to 5:00pm. At 5:00pm sharp we will introduce our guest speaker Edward Glaeser, Glimp Professor of Economics, Harvard University. Director, Taubman Center for State and Local Government and the Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston and Author, Triumph of the City. For about 40 minutes Prof. Glaeser will share his ideas based on his latest book titled “Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier†(Penguin, February 2011). Prof. Glaeser’s biography is posted at the end of this email. If time permits audience Q&A will follow the formal presentation. This session will adjourn no later than 6:15pm

BOOK SYNOPSIS: As Edward Glaeser proves in this myth-shattering book, cities are actually the healthiest, greenest, and richest (in cultural and economic terms) places to live. New Yorkers, for instance, live longer than other Americans; heart disease and cancer rates are lower in Gotham than in the nation as a whole. More than half of America's income is earned in twenty-two metropolitan areas. And city dwellers use, on average, 40 percent less energy than suburbanites. Using intrepid reportage, keen analysis, and eloquent argument, Glaeser makes an impassioned case for the city's import and splendor. He reminds us forcefully why we should nurture our cities or suffer consequences that will hurt us all, no matter where we live.

TO ATTEND: $49 plus HST per person; $39 plus HST for alumni of Rotman and U of T (fees include the presentation and a copy of Triumph of the City). Pre-registration is mandatory please sign up here or visit www.rotman.utoronto.ca/events. Space is limited so if you have not already registered, please do so online by noon on March 1.

Inviting Clients, Colleagues or Friends: If you know others who would be interested in receiving this invitation, please forward it to them. Alternatively you can email us their contact details (mailto:events@rotman.utoronto.ca) and we will invite them.

‘Dress code’ is business casual. There are three ways to reach the Rotman School: by public transit we are a 2.5 minute walk south of the St George TTC station; by bike there are bicycle racks at our main entrance and by car there is underground parking is available on the south side of the School.

We hope to see you on March 1.

Last night on The Daily Show, Stewart's guest was author Edward Glaeser promoting his new book "Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier" which has an interesting premise. I'm anxious to read it, but I'll wait for the paperback.

I missed that...maybe I can catch it online, but I'd like to see him interviewed on The Agenda for a more in depth discussion...sounds like his agent has him booked to promote the book, so maybe he'll find his way to tvo soon.

Back