News   Jun 26, 2024
 4     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

This dog is a magnet.

As I spent some time catching up on this thread today this thought suddenly occurred to me. If you were "dog friendly", would you stop and talk to me to meet a dog like this?

sketch_queens-park5_Aug-09.jpg

It's about your leg, nice leg dt, that would do it for me! :)

Something that I noticed many, many years ago is when I walk alone, or sit outside in the summer and have a coffee alone I rarely get approached by anyone nor do many (but not all) people want to strike up conversation when I approach them. I'm in decent shape, I don't look like Zac Efron but I don't think I'm exactly hard on the eyes either. However since I took up having a dog several years ago I practically need a swatter to shoo people away who want to meet her and strike up conversation both in my neighbourhood (The Village) and as I walk through other areas. I don't shoo people away of course, I love to talk and meet people. This dog is a magnet.

As I spent some time catching up on this thread today this thought suddenly occurred to me. If you were "dog friendly", would you stop and talk to me to meet a dog like this?

Anyway, I guess my point goes back to an earlier post of mine in this thread where I stated that once you get past the thick skin of some Torontonians they can be very friendly. Point proven when I have my dog with me, which is most of the time when I'm out and about.

Which backs up what I said. People in Toronto are shy but if you give them a reason to start talking, they will. They just need a way to break the ice.

I've experienced this many times. A person will stand right next to me, looking miserable and unfriendly but as soon as a friend walks by who knows me and that other person and starts talking to us both, that other person changes his whole demeanor and is quite friendly. All people need is an introduction by a friend and everything changes. Gay men are naturally very social creatures, we crave that inter-action with other men. (whether it be social or sexual) Now all you need is a friend who can introduce you to all the hottest studs in the city.

I love dogs. That's all I have to say about that, methinks. :)

I've actually been contemplating bringing one of my dogs on a walking tour with me when I go downtown for this very reason, but judging by the reaction I get from friends that make it out here to the farm once in a blue moon, I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Holy crap, this was about my dog not my legs! But there you go, friendly responses from people about my dog (and my leg!).

Do you shave your legs? ;)

The dog is beautiful!

No, I don't shave my legs. They're moderately hairy but I guess it can't be seen there. Thank you re: my dog! See how a dog can break the ice and lure people to come up and chat?

It's about your leg, nice leg dt, that would do it for me! :)

Thank you, we do a lot of walking. 2-3 hours every day (or at night if it's too hot for her by day).

Which backs up what I said. People in Toronto are shy but if you give them a reason to start talking, they will. They just need a way to break the ice.

I've experienced this many times. A person will stand right next to me, looking miserable and unfriendly but as soon as a friend walks by who knows me and that other person and starts talking to us both, that other person changes his whole demeanor and is quite friendly. All people need is an introduction by a friend and everything changes. Gay men are naturally very social creatures, we crave that inter-action with other men. (whether it be social or sexual) Now all you need is a friend who can introduce you to all the hottest studs in the city.

Good points there too.
Shy, reserved, tense Torontonians meeting new people through friends & acquaintances.

I love dogs. That's all I have to say about that, methinks. :)

I've actually been contemplating bringing one of my dogs on a walking tour with me when I go downtown for this very reason, but judging by the reaction I get from friends that make it out here to the farm once in a blue moon, I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Try it! Dogs are social creatures just like us, he/she will be a little nervous at first with all of the noise, smells and stimulation but will do fine. Report back with your findings!

I'm actually afraid to. For the dogs, I mean.

They're farm dogs and roam as free as the other beasties around here. They don't take well to leashes and it might just be a touch overwhelming for them with all the stimulation. I know they'd love the people though. Maybe the Dachshund...she's a bit older but the younger German Shepherd punkass....he'd trip for sure.

Still, I've been contemplating it for well over a year now (since the pup was born) so I guess I could give it a go.

It's true! We talk to everyone and their dog...unless they don't have one, and we say nothing. Not pretentious, just shy :eek:

Hmmmm....maybe all those "pretentious assholes" who look down their noses at me I've been running into are actually just shy.

I think you can probably add having serious mommy and daddy issues along with insecurities (i.e. Oh look at me I'm 90lbs, and I'm like soooo fat you know?).

I find the younger crowds buy so easily into the stereotypes that it makes me wonder, what ever happened to guys just liking guys? Is it that far of a stretch? I remember one of my friends asking me if all gays listen to Madonna and wear scrotum crushing jeans? I said I would get back him after I checked the instructional video that came with my guide to being a gay.

Last edited:
Something that I noticed many, many years ago is when I walk alone, or sit outside in the summer and have a coffee alone I rarely get approached by anyone nor do many (but not all) people want to strike up conversation when I approach them. I'm in decent shape, I don't look like Zac Efron but I don't think I'm exactly hard on the eyes either. However since I took up having a dog several years ago I practically need a swatter to shoo people away who want to meet her and strike up conversation both in my neighbourhood (The Village) and as I walk through other areas. I don't shoo people away of course, I love to talk and meet people. This dog is a magnet.

Anyway, I guess my point goes back to an earlier post of mine in this thread where I stated that once you get past the thick skin of some Torontonians they can be very friendly. Point proven when I have my dog with me, which is most of the time when I'm out and about.

Very good point dt. The same thing happened when I had kids. All of a sudden neighbours were dropping gifts off at the door and when we go out for walks an endless amount of people talk to us. I've even had people go into a store and buy the kids a stuffed toy because they were crying. There's plenty of goodness out there but people who live in the core of most major cities tend to be on guard more in case the next person who approaches them is a psycho. Here's something I noticed. Whenever I see people on the street looking at a map I always ask them if they need help. About 1/3 will politely decline, another 1/3 will accept my offer and the other 1/3 will recoil and look at me as if I want to rob them. There is no reason to take this personally and the worst thing you can do is change your behaviour because of a few negative reactions.

Last edited:
Hamilton is Entertaining!

To be fair, I'm from Mississauga, and I've become so accustomed to the surrounding area I just can't adjust to Hamilton.

Of Course Not; in Hamilton, our Main Streets aren't 18-lanes wide! A suburbanite would feel costrophobic in Downtown Hamilton!

3/4 of a year!?! Wow, that's a long time (Damn... they really need to invent a 'Sarcasm Font')! Let me guess; most of it was during the winter time? And we all know how great any Canadian city is during winter months.

Maybe your problem was that you stuck to Westdale, went to Limeridge once, and JS a couple times... never with the right people.

If you want a GOOD Hamilton experience, you have to ensure you're with the correct types (ie: Me--who knows the history of every building/intersection and is able to provide a nice narrative along a historic walking tour).

Or Perhaps the James North Art Crawl (I'm not into art, but I'm into walking around, drinking, and lookin at shit):

http://www.jamesstreetnorth.ca/blog/

And Coming Up, Friday Oct 9th is the SUPERCRAWL with Live Entertainment, and a portion of James North being closed to traffic:

http://supercrawl.ca/Supercrawl/Click_for_Supercrawl_Main_Page/Click_for_Supercrawl_Main_Page.html

7320_143655081592_138295686592_2672372_56422_n.jpg

Anyone up for a trip into scary, scary Hamilton for a night of Drinks, Art & Crawling hehe ??

ps: Cutest Dog Ever!

You wonder why you get hit on while walking through the Village!?!? :p

Back