News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 837     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 801     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Toronto Star: Church St. to downsize Halloween

Halloweek, the annual festival that brings thousands of people and dollars to the Gay Village, is being downsized because of budget cutbacks, says David Wootton, coordinator for the Church Wellesley Village Business Improvement Area.

“Over the years we’ve put DJs on rooftops and brought stages in with lighting shows so there’s a heartbeat to the event,” he said.

With an operating budget of $25,000 — down $10,000 from last season — neither DJs nor light shows will be present during the Oct. 24-31 events.

It is true that the main attraction to the Halloween street party are the people, however, those people can easily be turned off if the party amounts to just a really crowded street. The BIA better find a way to fund a more varied event next year.

Only 2.5 years to world pride. I hope the BIA will scrounge up some money to spruce up the more run down sections of the village soon.
The impression I get is that this BIA seems to always be crying poor. Am I right or wrong? Do the businesses just not care?

Last edited:
It is true that the main attraction to the Halloween street party are the people, however, those people can easily be turned off if the party amounts to just a really crowded street. The BIA better find a way to fund a more varied event next year.

Plenty of fun was had, just like any other Halloween on Church but it seemed busier than in the past. Two videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q4SEVMT7eDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7owtBI17-Bc

On another topic, Statler's reopens on Thursday Nov. 11 at 9pm under the name "The Loft"

NOTE: Second Cup coffee is gross.

That is all.

I was a Second Cup man until the bucks came to Canada, can't shut the stuff off now.

Speaking of which, these two businesses have to talk to one another and do a deal. They need to remove that fence down the middle and share the entire patio. Having a mostly full patio as opposed to one half full (Second Cup) and the other half completely empty (Acme Burger) just can't be good for business (Acme Burger).

A cool, late November evening (Wednesday night) people are still outside enjoying the patio with some brew -

Last edited:
A good article on a brief wrap from the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association's meeting on Monday Dec. 12th covering neighbourhood issues and concerns including over to it's eastern boundary on the east side of Yonge Street, from the north side of Carlton to the south side of Charles Street.
Unfortunately the benches in front of the Alexus condo on Alexander Street (mentioned above) had to be removed because of rising crime issues.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Girding_for_change_to_Church_St-11232.aspx?mid=553341

A good article on a brief wrap from the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association's meeting on Monday Dec. 12th covering neighbourhood issues and concerns including over to it's eastern boundary on the east side of Yonge Street, from the north side of Carlton to the south side of Charles Street.
Unfortunately the benches in front of the Alexus condo on Alexander Street (mentioned above) had to be removed because of rising crime issues.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Girding_for_change_to_Church_St-11232.aspx?mid=553341

What rising crime issues ?

So the area is worried about all the new proposals on Yonge will spill over to Church. But wouldn't all the new residents help not hurt the area ?
The tax issue I do understand though.

I'd love to see some 10/20 story buildings on the edge of the district i.e. other parts of Church.

Alexander Street at Church was becoming more and more of a problem at night with drug dealing, assaults, robberies and such so the benches were removed, the Alexander Wood statue may also be relocated.

The Association hopes to preserve the low-rise nature of what's left of Yonge Street from Carlton to Bloor, current applications notwithstanding, and get Church Street from Gloucester to Alexander Street designated as a heritage district before the developers move in and tear the place apart. Buildings within the Association's boundaries that have not designated with heritage status will be evaluated on a building by building basis and the process will begin.

My ideal solution would be a combined Church-Yonge village legislated by the province as a historic preservation district from Gerrard to Bloor. There could still be low-mid rise development on the cross streets or on vacant non-heritage properties on Church and Yonge. 100 years from now a protected Church-Yonge village, surrounded by streets with development like what exists today on Bay, would be a jewel for the city.

My ideal solution would be a combined Church-Yonge village legislated by the province as a historic preservation district from Gerrard to Bloor. There could still be low-mid rise development on the cross streets or on vacant non-heritage properties on Church and Yonge. 100 years from now a protected Church-Yonge village, surrounded by streets with development like what exists today on Bay, would be a jewel for the city.

The designation of historic preservation districts is done by the City not the Province. There are several already. See: http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/heritage_districts.htm

Alexander Street at Church was becoming more and more of a problem at night with drug dealing, assaults, robberies and such so the benches were removed, the Alexander Wood statue may also be relocated.

Wasn't that why the 'steps' were removed too? Seems like a silly way to address the problem. They want people to gather but they don't. Well which is it?

Back