News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I don't go out that much as I don't drink but Statlers is my kind of place when I do go out. I like the friendly, mixed atmosphere, to a great extent it's people around my age and I felt really comfortable and relaxed there. I never saw anything like described above but I was only in there perhaps a couple of dozen times at their two (or was it three?) former locations. I am looking forward to their return, it's nice to know that there's a place out there for people like me who like that kind of atmosphere and have an alternative place to go other than the Woody's of the world - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
As for Flash, isn't there a moratorium on new dance floors in the village? I've also heard that there will be strippers but I find that hard to believe since Remington's has repeatedly said that they can't move to Church because of municipal regulations.

I ran into a friend today with a bit of information on Flash. He doesn't know anything about a dance floor but said that the dancers will be wearing g-strings so that's apparently how they're getting around the adult entertainment license. The fun will continue upstairs, where things may get a little more risqué.

I ran into a friend today with a bit of information on Flash. He doesn't know anything about a dance floor but said that the dancers will be wearing g-strings so that's apparently how they're getting around the adult entertainment license. The fun will continue upstairs, where things may get a little more risqué.

Jebus, this sounds like a hot venue! lol. Any mention of when it'll open?

Apparently the owner George feels that Mandy Goodhandy's gets away with quite a bit of without an adult license, so why not Flash.

Exactly, he got away with it upstairs in a later incarnation of Club Colby's back in the late 80's or early 90's, I can't remember when precisely.

Community Association?

Just moved into this part of town, closer to Jarvis on Wellesley.

Any know if there's a community or residents' association of any kind? I couldn't find anything, at least not easily, online.

Just moved into this part of town, closer to Jarvis on Wellesley.

Any know if there's a community or residents' association of any kind? I couldn't find anything, at least not easily, online.

There is a residents association for the Church-Wellesley Village just coming together now which was formed partly as a response to a proposal of block-busting the heritage homes & apartment houses on Church Street between Dundonald & Gloucester Sts. to build a condominium. There's no website yet but there is a Facebook page which you can search out under "Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association". You can get involved or keep up to date for future meetings by finding us there.

There is a residents association for the Church-Wellesley Village just coming together now which was formed partly as a response to a proposal of block-busting the heritage homes & apartment houses on Church Street between Dundonald & Gloucester Sts. to build a condominium. There's no website yet but there is a Facebook page which you can search out under "Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association". You can get involved or keep up to date for future meetings by finding us there.

Beauty - thanks.

A friend of mine (OK, my boyfriend) is thinking of buying a condo at 60 Homewood. Does anybody know anything about this building? Is it relatively quiet and clean? Any comments about the building residents? Any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
A friend of mine (OK, my boyfriend) is thinking of buying a condo at 60 Homewood. Does anybody know anything about this building? Is it relatively quit clean? Any comments about the building residents? Any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks

We were so close to buying a small 1 bedroom ground floor end unit at 60 Homewood back in 2002 after we sold our large 2 bedroom while waiting for Radio City to be built but we just couldn't negociate the right price with the owners. Basically, we just wanted to stay in the market with a small property to live in that we thought would be easy to sell when the time came. Anyway, we saw several units in there before we saw the one that caught our eye, I think there's only 5 or 6 different plans. The buidling was clean but needed an update at the time, the apartments are all a reasonable size (most are 1 bed + solarium with a tiny balcony or terrace on the ground floor units) but the prices and maintenance fees were pretty good. They have a good fitness area (shared with it's sister building, L'espirit) and a rooftop jogging track. The area (Homewood & Maitland) can be a little sketchy at night but certainly not dangerous.

We were so close to buying a small 1 bedroom ground floor end unit at 60 Homewood back in 2002 after we sold our large 2 bedroom while waiting for Radio City to be built but we just couldn't negociate the right price with the owners. Basically, we just wanted to stay in the market with a small property to live in that we thought would be easy to sell when the time came. Anyway, we saw several units in there before we saw the one that caught our eye, I think there's only 5 or 6 different plans. The buidling was clean but needed an update at the time, the apartments are all a reasonable size (most are 1 bed + solarium with a tiny balcony or terrace on the ground floor units) but the prices and maintenance fees were pretty good. They have a good fitness area (shared with it's sister building, L'espirit) and a rooftop jogging track. The area (Homewood & Maitland) can be a little sketchy at night but certainly not dangerous.

Thanks!

I'll second those comments. I almost bought in L'espirit three years ago but thought it was a little over-priced compared to some of the other buildings in the area (though in fairness the units I looked at have all held their value, so maybe they weren't over-priced so much as more expensive than I was willing to pay). I live in a neighbouring building now, and the area is definitely a safe and pleasant place to live. There is still a bit of sketchiness at times (the corner of Homewood/Maitland is full of hookers most nights, especially in warmer weather), but things have been improving steadily and the new buildings that have gone up in the last few years (Radio City, the Ballet School, Verve, 500 Sherbourne, and even the much-maligned Star of Downtown) have meant more eyes on the street as well as bringing a gentrifying effect to the neighbourhood.

I think it'll continue to improve, too, with the Beaver closing down, the St. Jamestown tower renewal plans, and the condos showing up on the north end of Sherbourne. I think real estate in the area is a good investment (which is why I've now bought in the vicinity twice in the last 5 years)

Last edited:
I'll second those comments. I almost bought in L'espirit three years ago but thought it was a little over-priced compared to some of the other buildings in the area (though in fairness the units I looked at have all held their value, so maybe they weren't over-priced so much as more expensive than I was willing to pay). I live in a neighbouring building now, and the area is definitely a safe and pleasant place to live. There is still a bit of sketchiness at times (the corner of Homewood/Maitland is full of hookers most nights, especially in warmer weather), but things have been improving steadily and the new buildings that have gone up in the last few years (Radio City, the Ballet School, Verve, 500 Sherbourne, and even the much-maligned Star of Downtown) have meant more eyes on the street as well as bringing a gentrifying effect to the neighbourhood.

I think it'll continue to improve, too, with the Beaver closing down, the St. Jamestown tower renewal plans, and the condos showing up on the north end of Sherbourne. I think real estate in the area is a good investment (which is why I've now bought in the vicinity twice in the last 5 years)

Thank you Whatever

Apparently the owner George feels that Mandy Goodhandy's gets away with quite a bit of without an adult license, so why not Flash.

I passed by Flash today, now officially "Flash on Church" and noticed that they have a banner up with their website which gives a much clearer idea of what the club is and how it will operate.

http://www.flashonchurch.com/

Back