News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I thought the patio parklets were supposed to be installed a few days ago?
The motion reads:

Directed the General Manager of Transportation Services and the Executive Director of Municipal Licensing and Standards to issue a street occupation permit from July 10, 2013 to October 20, 2013, in the northbound east curb lane of Church Street between Gloucester Street and Wood Street to facilitate the implementation of parklets and a complimentary greening strategy, subject to terms and conditions to the satisfaction of the General Manager.

I bet sorting out these terms and conditions is complicated but ...

If the Church Street plan is anything like last summer's version on Yonge Street, we can only pray the entire project is shelved until 2250 or beyond. What an eyesore.

^^ Yes, using steel barricades, to create patio space, is definitely, not the way to go. Hopefully, aesthetics will be taken into consideration, this time.

What they did last year on Yonge Street was meant to be temporary and not cost a ton of money to do, so they could see the impact it would have if the lanes were removed permanently on Yonge Street. I'm not sure what the purpose of this version on Church St. is for.

I just wish they'd remove that ridiculous ban on turning right onto Maitland from Church between 10 pm and 5 am...I mean really, what is the purpose of that?

I just wish they'd remove that ridiculous ban on turning right onto Maitland from Church between 10 pm and 5 am...I mean really, what is the purpose of that?

My ex and I used to wonder if the lane became one way after a certain hour lol.

As for the parklettes, I've heard nothing about them and my friends and ex work at one of the establishments that would be affected. Maybe it was cancelled?

This motion re $$$ was passed yesterday at Council.

Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon, recommends that:

1. City Council increase the approved 2013 Non-Program Operating Budget by $50,000.00 gross, $0 net, fully funded by Section 37 community benefits from the development at 77 Charles Street West, (source account: XR3026-3700381), for the transfer to the Church Wellesley Village Business Improvement Area (CWVBIA) for the supply and installation of parklets for the Church Wellesley Business Improvement Area.

2. City Council direct that the $50,000.00 be forwarded to the Church Wellesley Village Business Improvement Area upon the signing of an Undertaking by CWVBIA governing the use of the funds and the financial reporting requirements.

I love / hate these trial runs ... hate because I wish they just used the money (though I know we are talking about pennies in comparison to the cost) to just go ahead and redo the street !

Moreover, I also know that it'll likely be years and years till anything happens.

I didn't like the Yonge St ones as they blocked pedestrian traffic (the irony, of course, etc). And they weren't that attractive, either. Should be interesting to see what this will do. It's supposed to extend the pavement for pedestrians? Well, if it's like the Yonge St ones, it will only make it more difficult for pedestrians to hop on and off the pavement to go around slow-walkers (with which this city abounds). They'd become more of a grievance than an "experience".

Back