News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Chicago By Night Photo

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
I take great offense to a picture of Chicago gracing the daily pic spot on the Urban TORONTO site.

I would like to petition for it to be removed and replaced with a picture of Toronto.

Many thanks,

Louroz

Toronto By Night

I appreciate that Ed and I admit its a cool looking picture, however I'm sure there has got to be at least one Toronto By Night photo out there that would be more appropriate for this forum.

I felt like I had to say something because it was a matter of civic pride for me personally. Having a picture of another city on the cover just seems silly to me for a Toronto-area specific forum.

Louroz

1465587415_5b9bab2202.jpg

Totally cool shot of Chicago, BTW. How'd they get something so crisp from a plane with so little light?

not as nice as the chicago pic, but i got this one during nuit blanche from the cn tower.

1493339592_03abd12c93_b.jpg

It's Chicago, another great North American city. As long as this isn't a frequent thing, what's the problem?

On a slightly different note, I take offence when American weather forecasters have one of those continent maps with only the weather for the U.S. There's admittedly not much the administrator of this forum could about though.

I don't think it is big deal some non-Toronto photos once in a while, espeically a photo that is as great and rare as that... how many aerial photos of ANY city do you see taken during the night? Not much.

If all photos must conform to the name UrbanToronto, then arguably no photos of the 905 should be allowed either. At least the Chicago photo conforms to one part of the site name, UrbanToronto, while a photo of Brampton, for example, would not conform to any part.

Chicago is Toronto's North American sister city (if wikipedia can be trusted the others are Chongqing, China; Frankfurt, Germany; Milan, Italy; and São Paulo, Brazil.)

This is probably one of my favourite Toronto night shots I found off flickr.

On the other hand, using a photo from Flickr without linking back to the original page or even providing credit for the photographer is a violation of Flickr's terms of service, probably copyright violation, and extremely bad manners.

I felt like I had to say something because it was a matter of civic pride for me personally. Having a picture of another city on the cover just seems silly to me for a Toronto-area specific forum.

I respectfully disagree. When I saw the photo, my impression was positive, as it made me think of Toronto as a member of a community of great cities, and not some parochial hamlet that needs to use every opportunity it can to blow its own whistle.

Also, it's a great photo, and I do think we should regularly reflect on what's going on elsewhere and try to learn lessons from the experiences of other cities, especially ones as closely related to us as Chicago, being a fellow Great Lakes city.

Back