Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/weekend.violence.gang.2.704381.html

(video included within report)

Police Respond To Rash of Weekend Shootings

Dana Kozlov CHICAGO (CBS) ― Chicago police brass are reacting to the violence-plagued weekend. They say most of the shootings are gang-related and they're ready to implement new measures to crack down on the crime, as CBS 2's Dana Kozlov reports.

Chicago police officers kept a close watch as mourners entered and left 17-year-old Marcus Greer's funeral. The teen was shot on a block from his home Tuesday night – the third man in his family to die on Chicago's streets.

"Every time we look up, we got to go through this in our families and other families too, I know that," said Greer's grandmother Valerie Mays. "But something needs to be done."

There have been 26 shootings this weekend, four of them fatal – that's seven more than this same weekend last year.

One factor, according to police, is the warm weather. Every spring and summer is always considered to be a catalyst for violence. But police officials say they are looking at other strategies to combat shootings.

The department will be targeting gang leaders, enhancing bike and foot patrols and saturating violent zones or areas of the city with more resources.

"We will be enhancing the detective division, the aggravated battery teams, adding more district officers in order to facilitate the exchange of information along with being redeployed to areas where violence has occurred," said Deputy Supt. James Jackson.

Chicago police Superintendent Jody Weis said all but three of the 26 shootings were gang-related.

Seven victims were juveniles, five of whom were out after the city curfew of 11 p.m. So he's also asking parents to be more vigilant about where their children are after hours.

Weis also supports Mayor Daley in his call for tougher legislation that will make it more difficult to get and own guns.

"You just have too many guns and too many gangs, and too much drugs on the street," Weis said. "There's just too many weapons out here."

But not everyone agrees that will solve the problem, including Greer's grandmother.

"The streets is raising these kids; this is not going to stop," Mays said. "You say you need more gun laws, that's not going to work because guys running from police, they throw their guns and then a 12-year-old picks it up and he'll kill another Marcus tomorrow."

So how do police, parents, teachers best reach out to at-risk kids? There isn't one simple answer. In the meantime, many of Chicago's young adults assume they'll keep attending funerals of friends.

"I'm not sad, basically I'm used to it, "said Greer's friend Maria Soto. "We're used to it, we can't cry no more, we can't cry."
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

As usual, most of these shootings are gang related and its a wake up call as to how relatively safe Toronto is in comparison. Gangs are the blight of modern cities, and its directly linked to other factors (drug use, kids falling into bad behavior due to poverty or problems in the home).

Out of the 26 shootings, 4 have been confirmed dead.

Things never change
676633_170x170.jpg

Don't know if it has happened, but it could. Canadian cities are relatively safe, but if you remember - Montreal had a number of "bombings" when the war erupted between Hells Angels and the Rock? Machine (I cannot remember the exact motorcycle name).

I lived in Chicago (downtown) and I actually found it to be a relatively safe city - as I do with Toronto. I did have two co-workers killed, but one was from a driver on drugs, and the other was a person hit by a police car in a high-speed chase. No-one was shot :p

Brandon, one day if you actually succeed in your quest to move to Canada, you will move up here and within 6 months you will miss many of the things that make America the great country that it is.

I lived in Chicago (downtown) and I actually found it to be a relatively safe city - as I do with Toronto. I did have two co-workers killed, but one was from a driver on drugs, and the other was a person hit by a police car in a high-speed chase. No-one was shot :p
Like almost every city in North America, as long as you're not involved in criminal activity and do not associate with those communities involved in such activity, you'll likely never see nor experience any violent crime.

Just straight men being straight men: acting obnoxious and trying to provoke conflict. I see it everyday and I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of these killed were straight males. The murders here are the same, though on a much smaller scale of course.

Maybe they are straight men mostly, if not all, but there's a lot of deep roots in all this. I am afraid some of the action taken in the past several years on the federal level has affected crime in cities across the board.

The federal ban on assault rifles was allowed to expire, we have a lot of COPS programs that had increased funding in the 1990's begin to be cut recently, and combine that with a lot of economic problems, people tend to get back into old habits.

This is mostly a problem from the standpoint that US cities really only started turning around in the 1990's and if they start to decay again due to crime like this, its really going to urban living overall.

Just straight men being straight men: acting obnoxious and trying to provoke conflict. I see it everyday and I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of these killed were straight males. The murders here are the same, though on a much smaller scale of course.

What would any of this have to do with sexual orientation? Would it be of any surprise to you that many straight males are not obnoxious and trying to provoke conflict?

What would any of this have to do with sexual orientation? Would it be of any surprise to you that many straight males are not obnoxious and trying to provoke conflict?

The comment may be misguided, but on the other hand, how many gay males are involved in gang shootouts? That's more what he was getting at... OF COURSE not all heterosexual males are involved in obnoxious and violent conflict, LOL! OK maybe in Texas.

Philadelphia has also seen a huge increase in violent crime, I'm not sure about other cities.

how many gay males are involved in gang shootouts?

You tell me.

Stereotypical gay males aren't any less likely to be in gangs than stereotypical heteros. One does not be in a gang, or decide to commit violent crimes on the basis of whether or not you like cock...although you may be less willing to make it a known fact.

I assure you, the instance of males finding other males sexually attractive is no less in gangs than it is in general society.

"Like almost every city in North America, as long as you're not involved in criminal activity and do not associate with those communities involved in such activity, you'll likely never see nor experience any violent crime."

This is true, however unfortunately I would not say that may of us aren't indirectly accomplice to said violent crime. An example is if you use or tolerate the recreational use of drugs as most of us do. Some people might find this association a stretch, but increasingly I do not. One could argue that if it weren't narcotics street thugs (who occupy the lowest tier of the supply chain) would be blasting at each other over something else but that remains to be proven.

Stereotypical gay males aren't any less likely to be in gangs than stereotypical heteros. One does not be in a gang, or decide to commit violent crimes on the basis of whether or not you like cock...although you may be less willing to make it a known fact.
That changes quickly when they get to jail I imagine, when it's c#ck for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back