News   Jul 23, 2024
 504     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 472     0 

Changes To Projects & Construction Section

Now that the BA thread is sticky, we have to check the date each time we visit this section to see if there's anything new in the topic. The usability of the section is worsened by breaking the "latest messages at the top" model that is common to web forums. It would be better to let the thread float down and to close and merge any other BA threads that spring up.

Frequent web forum users tend to not read the titles of sticky forum topics. They're always there, they're not always updated, and they're often things that people aren't interested in (such as rules). Therefore, using sticky threads for threads you want conversation in generally doesn't work.

Please update the thread titles whenever something major happens, such as cool new photos are added, along with a date, such as "... - NEW photos 6/1"

Just my 2 cents.

Depending on the software, it might be possible to have a subtitle/heading that could be updated. That would prove useful as well.

AoD

"Now that the BA thread is sticky, we have to check the date each time we visit this section to see if there's anything new in the topic."

Use the "mark forum read" feature to track what posts are new for you. But anyway, I suspect that this tread is stickied since it's the trial of Ed's plan and he's looking for comments about the whole concept. Once the trial is over, I assume the stickiness will dissapear.

"Just you wait. It will be a great location for UT's world headquarters. Check back in three months. "

only 3 months? working inwards?

"Mark forum read" is a super geeky feature that not everybody will use. Most users will never know this feature exists.

simply Dan and myself always fight about that feature. I think it makes it super-easy to figure out where you are on the forum, while he thinks its a big waste of time. Haha. Each to their own I guess.

Congrats again Ed! I'll be sending an e-mail your way very soon with a few suggestions.

i really enjoy this board.
I like this idea but I must echo other's comments as I think the threads should be allowed to float with the "new and hot" topics at the top..that is what i look for. If it remains a static ordering I think I will miss the lastest stuff.

I like what's being done to the big project threads: one main reference thread for each project is great. Maybe there should be also be some freedom for additional threads if they're warranted so that the cross-mojonation is kept to a minimum (not that it's a bad thing in short threads, but it can render long threads cumbersome). Perhaps the official threads should be limited to chronological construction updates and anything else under the sun be exiled to another thread? I don't know.

Speaking of the 'official' project threads (a great idea, I agree, with the caveat that they should be non-sticky), in the snazzy first posts that Ed's been creating, it would also be fantastic to have a link to the latest City staff report PDF.

Just a thought. Thanks of course to mods past and present for all the work!

Update: I'm dumb. Planning reports are already in a bunch of them; just not the ones I happened to read first. Always a step behind...

SNF:

Some of them don't have planning reports - I am in the process of tracking down others and will append the threads as they arise.

AoD

Back