News   Oct 02, 2024
 611     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 584     0 

Changes To Projects & Construction Section

E

Ed007Toronto

Changes To Projects & Construction Section

I recently mentioned that changes were coming to Urban Toronto. The first change is that I have taken over stewardship of the forum from Billy. Billy will stay on a a moderator as we build the site.

The first visible change will take place in the Projects & Construction section. We are planning to create and maintain just one thread per project. Therefore one Spire thread, one Ritz thread and so forth. This would be beneficial for two reasons. One, all posts on a project would remain available for as long as the thread remains hence no lost info. Second, posts would be easy to find as each project would no longer have multiple threads. Photo threads with multiple projects would no longer need to exist. Photos would now be posted to the various specific threads.

I have created a test version for Bay Adelaide. Pleas post your comments on Bay Adelaide there and any comments about the proposed change to the P&C section here. If the test is successful we plan on rolling out additional threads in the coming weeks.

congrats & thanks

and glad to finally see your - ahem - real estate investment is no longer pictured on top of the forum

Well done, Billy, well done

Just you wait. It will be a great location for UT's world headquarters. Check back in three months.

One of the problems I've seen with this format on some forums is that you get huge threads where large developments (normally thread-worthy) lost amongst the numerous other less important posts. I eventually completely lose interest in keeping track of what's happening in a hundred-page thread.

If we follow this method, can I ask that a mod or admin change the title occasionally to note any significant updates?

Thanks.

City/Community Council reports should perhaps be linked in the first post of the thread as well so that it's always easily found.

so does that make this a projects and construction specific forum now? will posts unrelated to projects and construction still be allowed?

No and yes. We'll try to keep specific projects to one thread. Others can still be added. And the other sections of the forum (Toronto issues, Transport etc) won't be touched just yet. New forum software should allow for sub forums so we could have a waterfront one for example with various sub forums related just to it. We're in the early stages on this and are going to be learning as we go. Hence any and all comments and questions welcome.

One of the problems I've seen with this format on some forums is that you get huge threads where large developments (normally thread-worthy) lost amongst the numerous other less important posts. I eventually completely lose interest in keeping track of what's happening in a hundred-page thread.

If we follow this method, can I ask that a mod or admin change the title occasionally to note any significant updates?

Agreed. Conversations can be hard to follow when someone's referring to a post 2 pages back and others are pressing on different posts altogether. However, I do have faith that diligent moderating could make this work.

looking forward to the changes mr administrator and congrats.
good job billy!

Thank you Billy for making UrbanToronto the success that it is, and congratulations Ed on your new management of the site. I look forward to your vision for our humble forum.

One comment to make - I like the idea of one thread per subject (and strongly agree that relelvant changes in a project should be noted in the first post on page 1 of each thread, and that information should be kept relevant and up to date. A direct example of this is the 400+ foot thread stickied at the top of the P&C forum), but can we avoid the use of the words "Official" & "Thread" in the titles? A "Bay Adelaide Centre" title should suffice quite nice.

Thanks Billy for keeping the site running smoothly and to all the best to Ed, i'm looking forward to the changes.

UT is in good hands with Ed and I believe that he has the necessary resources to bring Urban Toronto to the next level.

Good suggestion; I think this should work well. However I think it's important that it be made clear in the thread title which project is being referred to (street address or a recognizable project name), so that a scan of the subject index page would quickly reveal whether there is already a thread in existence, to avoid duplicated threads.

The problem I see with one thread per project is that new news gets lost in the discussion of old news. If the forum software became very flexible so a mini-forum per project was easy to manage then that would work. A Bay Adelaide thread would be a prime example of a thread that would be very long and finding new developments in the thread would be very time consuming... Page 1 would talk about the original plan, page 14 would talk about the work stoppage on the construction due to funds running out and market slowdown, page 22 would talk about a redesign, page 28 would talk about another redesign, etc. We need a way to quickly get to news because this forum is as much about hearing about new developments in the city as it is discussing those new developments.

One way to organize information might be a new thread (whether in a sub forum or otherwise) for each stage of a project. For example.

Rumour: Y Condominium (anything that is just buzz or unconfirmed)
Proposal: Y Condominium (acutal information available such as city council reports or directly from the developer)
Sales: Y Condominium (Has been approved and/or is on the market)
Construction: Y Condominium (Shovels are now in the ground)

It would also make it easy to quickly see what the status of the project is. Regardless, I agree with others that one super thread could be a bit much so some way of managing all the information that inevitably gets posted would be a good idea.

Back