News   May 03, 2024
 432     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 288     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 158     0 

Central Public Library & Botanical Gardens for T.O.?

"Having institutions like these goes beyond any kind of competition that we may wish to wage with other cities for greatness or tourish dollars. They're more about bringing clarity and joy to what it means to be a Torontonian. "

Can someone explain what this means?

As for the Chicago public library, we have one: Its called the Reference Library. Its not as big as the Chicago Library which is about 700,000 square feet, the Reference Library is 400,000 square feet.
You people need to get a grip before talking about tearing down a hotel to build an unnecessary library, when we have a perfectly good one. And stop blaming the suburbs for attempting to enrich their own populations.

"The whole block south of City Hall, from the Sheraton Centre all the way to Bay Street should be demolished to make way for the new central public library"

Does that include the 1930 Victory Building?

What's next - demolish everything between University and Yonge from Dundas to Bloor for a "Central Park".

The College Street Branch by Spadina should suffice for a little taste of Chicago's architectural "masterpiece"

What's next - demolish everything between University and Yonge from Dundas to Bloor for a "Central Park".

LOL

The Reference Library is fine. As I mentioned, I think it needs to be better integrated with the street (I've always found it kind of isolating/uninviting), but otherwise it's a great library.

I also don't know if a "spectactular" botanical gardens are some sort of prerequiste for being a "world city", or what qualifies as spectacular. I think the idea that there is a minimum number of institutions necessary for "world class" status is kind of silly. Anyways, I can think of one Botanical Garden in Toronto off the top of my head

Toronto Botanical Gardens

The Chicago library looks delish, but it's overscaled and looks like it's better suited for a family of dinosaurs.

The Vancouver Public library is the result of an architectural competition where the public was asked to vote (in shopping centers, how ironic!) for its favorite design. When he entered that competition, Sadfi decided to propose a kitschy design, thinking that the public would love it. Cynical or simply clever ? He actually wanted to get rid of most of the exterior kitschy decorations, including the columns, to make it look less like a Las Vegas type parody of ancien architecture. But the city refused to let him re-design the building. And that is why Vancouver, today, has such a ridiculous-looking building for a public library. By the way, Chicago's library was also the result of a competition and, not surprisingly, the architect also went for kitschy post-modernism.

It is true that the Vancouver library is now an object of mockery in most architectural circles. This being said, the interior looks good.

I absolutely agree that downtown Toronto needs a Central Library. As pointed out by others, other cities such as Vancouver and Mississauga have built central libraries downtown to act as interactive meeting places for residents.

Mississauga Central Library
(Canada's busiest public library)

My favorite new library design is from Salt Lake City:

Check it out:

Salt Lake City Central Library

As for Toronto, I propose that a new central library be part of a landmark building at the foot of Yonge Street along out waterfront. It could be a multi-purpose building with a large atrium for events, a central library on one side, a museum, cafes, and shops on the other.

Finally, check out this report by the City of Victoria:

GREAT LIBRARIES MAKE GREAT CITIES

Louroz

"Great Library make great cities"

I agree but there is no need for a centralized library when every community already has their own. Some of these as "great" as the ones already posted

I don't understand why people don't consider the Reference Library a Central Library. In fact because it is a reference library it would seem to act like an even better meeting place as you always know the book you want is going to be on the shelf. Why build another when we have a perfectly good one?

As for Toronto, I propose that a new central library be part of a landmark building at the foot of Yonge Street along out waterfront. It could be a multi-purpose building with a large atrium for events, a central library on one side, a museum, cafes, and shops on the other.

Probably a bad idea. I'd keep the library closer to the big downtown Universities - U of T and Ryerson, and preferably close to a Subway stop.

I absolutely agree that downtown Toronto needs a Central Library. As pointed out by others, other cities such as Vancouver and Mississauga have built central libraries downtown to act as interactive meeting places for residents.

The Reference Library is already a "Central" Library and meeting place.

If it's any consolation the Chicago Library was included in the Forbes 2002 list of world's ugliest buildings. Here'e the webpage. forbes.com/2002/05/03/0503homehtml

Speaking as an employee within the Toronto Public Library system, TPL is among the best in the world. Our circulation is the second busiest behind Hong Kong. Also, TPL is able to provide the largest title selection to any of our 98 branches across the city via interlibrary loan. We are able to do this because we did not spend all our money on one location like a grandiose central library of Chicago. Instead, we want to offer access to all so we spread our collection and funding physically via virtual technologies and communication.

In terms of who is the busiest, it is the district libraries of North York's Fairview and Scarborough's Agincourt whose daily circulation rate surpass any local libraries in a week.

Having funding to build a grandiose library is nice and all but our goal is provide access for all.

Speaking as an employee within the Toronto Public Library system, TPL is among the best in the world. Our circulation is the second busiest behind Hong Kong. Also, TPL is able to provide the largest title selection to any of our 98 branches across the city via interlibrary loan. We are able to do this because we did not spend all our money on one location like a grandiose central library of Chicago. Instead, we want to offer access to all so we spread our collection and funding physically via virtual technologies and communication.

In terms of who is the busiest, it is the district libraries of North York's Fairview and Scarborough's Agincourt whose daily circulation rate surpass any local libraries in a week.

Having funding to build a grandiose library is nice and all but our goal is provide access for all.

Well said.

Agincourt Library isn't only one of the busiest libraries in Toronto, it's also one of the most beautiful.

agincourt_branch.jpg

Unfortunately the above photo can't reinforce my point, so I suggest that you should go check it out yourselves.

Back