News   May 03, 2024
 439     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 161     0 

Central Public Library & Botanical Gardens for T.O.?

C

convoyD

Central Public Library & Botanical Gardens for T.O.?

When I was in Chicago two years back, I was struck by its magnificent central public library -- a grand, hulking, red granite block, with huge copper gargoyles jutting out at the corners, topped by a beautiful copper and glass winter garden -- which looks as though it could have been built a hundred years ago but, on close inspection, you soon notice that it could only have been built in the early 1990s. Its the best POMO building I have ever seen. In the floor of the main hall (overlooked by a mezzanine gallery), surrounding the city's coat of arms and written in mosaic is Chicago's "mission statement" that goes something like "...this city, founded by French Canadian explorers,bringing together men and woman from all over the world, of all races and religions, gays and lesbians..." Its quite moving.

Now, I know there are many loyal fans of the T.O. Reference Library but it seems to me that a great central public library, with a much more ambitious mandate, would greatly enrich this city. What a perfect place to centralise / display Toronto's historical archives--documents, photographs, etc. How about screening rooms for student films / documentaries, or some kind of "multicultural" documentation / research area attracting academics from around the world? And, of course, millions of books. I think T.O. needs to imagine / re-imagine itself and a central public library may just be the way to do it.

Also, in my opinion, another fundamental cultural facility for any self-respecting global city is a spectacular botanical gardens, such as those in Montreal, Berlin or London. Where are our's?

Having institutions like these goes beyond any kind of competition that we may wish to wage with other cities for greatness or tourish dollars. They're more about bringing clarity and joy to what it means to be a Torontonian. In other words, they're more about us than them.

I hate the Toronto Reference Library, both architecturally and in function. Architectually, I think it hasn't aged well, plus I think that the atrium is way too big, making accessibility around the Library very bad. In terms of function, I don't like the fact that it's a "reference" library, meaning you can't take books out. I've only been to the Ref once. These days, if I want to do research, I go up to North York Central- easy circulation, and you can take out books there.

Does that mean Toronto needs another huge library? No. But I do agree that we have to "centralize" Toronto's historical archives. The current archives near Casa Loma seem a bit "off the beaten track". A more central location is needed (perhaps combined with that elusive Museum of Toronto?).

The nearest literal "botanical gardens" in Toronto is in Burlington, but we do have a number of places in Toronto that act as botanical gardens... Allan Gardens and High Park, for example.

wyliepoon,

I think its time that Toronto think bigger than North York Central, Allen Gardens, and High Park. They just don't cut it for a city of over five million people gathered from around the world.

The whole block south of City Hall, from the Sheraton Centre all the way to Bay Street should be demolished to make way for the new central public library.

Its not going to happen. All our suburbs try to make central libraries of their own.

For us to have a huge central library like Chicago, you have to centralize everything downtown in a nice huge building like you said.
Won't happen with the suburbs we have.

I would like to keep any new central library to the area it is in now, in Yorkville. I think a library there adds a trip generator to an area that would be quiet otherwise.

Chicago Central Library, State Street.
HWLC.gif

I'm sorry, but what's wrong with suburbs having proper libraries? Should Oakville or Whitby residents have to trek to Toronto to get a decent selection of books? Anyway, a proper central library is something that Brampton lacks anyway (one library branch for every 80,000 people, or four branches). But a new GTA reference library, which could be used by any GTA library card, would be an interesting idea, if everyone would cooperate.

Sean. The suburbs can have a library. But if you want a real big one like Chicago. Then each suburb can't be building there three and four story libraries like North York, Richmond Hill, etc.

Then you defeat the whole purpose of having a central library.

The cluster of Allan Gardens greenhouses is getting an addition, on the north west corner of the site. I believe it is the old ( Victorian era? ) greenhouse that was moved to make way for Norman Foster's new building at University and College. I've noticed it being installed whenever I pass by on the 506 streetcar. I'm not sure if this is the only greenhouse that was moved off that site....

1A1-MB-CP-A2.jpg

Wow, that's a nice building... especially if it's from the 90s. I guess there's a reason Chicago is known for its architecture.

I always thought those two vacant historical buildings on Yonge across from the Eaton Centre, plus an atrium or something in the space in-between, plus vacant land which I think is behind the site towards Victora St. would make an excellent central public library for TO.

"I always thought those two vacant historical buildings on Yonge across from the Eaton Centre, plus an atrium or something in the space in-between, plus vacant land which I think is behind the site towards Victora St. would make an excellent central public library for TO."

Another brilliant idea from Michaelpfox! Connect them with a glass atrium... it would be great!

Very good idea Michael. But I think even with all that, the site might be to small, for anything the size of Chicago's Central Library.

Also, while Allen Gardens is getting the greenhouses. Something needs to be done with the rest of the park. It looks way to shabby, and needs some landscaping to make it really nice.

Vancouver's Moshe Safdie Roman coleseum library is pretty spectacular too. I say Suburbs-shumurbs thats why they have interlibrary loans - Toronto should have one (though perhaps not before another subway line, or clean streets, or police...). I have heard some murmures about turning MapleLeaf Gardens into a library. Iam not saying that is the best use, but on that topic, surely we can aim higher than a another Loblaws?

vanlibrary.jpg

The Vancouver Public Library may look nice, but it's gotten bad reviews from architecture critics. They think it's post-modernism gone wrong- how can you associate a civilized institute like a public library with architecture that's symbolic of brutality, like the Colosseum.

On the other hand you've got Mississauga City Hall, post-modern architecture with good use of symbolism.

The article in the most recent thread on MLG had Jack Diamond talk about turning it into a library, and Carmen Dunjko suggesting that it should be turned into an indoor, literal garden.

Link to the thread:
pub118.ezboard.com/ftorontoskyscraperforumfrm3.showMessage?topicID=917.topic

If it makes anybody feel better, Chicago's library has had its share of very vocal critics for its architecture. Also, Toronto already has a library that size - which is the Toronto Reference Library. I'm not sure that people completely understand the library system - that's what a "reference" library is, it's a non-lending research library, and there's surely a need for that because libraries cannot lend valuable or rare materials. If you want to be able to use it, make it non lending.

I can understand and sympathize with criticisms of the TRL, particularly the externals of the library, but's its late 70's early 80's aesthetic never fails to give me a frisson of thrill - all that open space! I think the library is very visually appealing on the inside, though I am not unsympathetic to complaints about the effect the open space has on use of the building.

I do find it unfortunate that some of the posts here seem to hint at a short attention span - if it wasn't built in the past 10 years, then forget it, it's better replaced. No better, really, than those who ripped down Victorian row houses in the 1960's.

I think the Reference Library is great on the inside. Could use some better integration on the outside, but otherwise isn't horrible.

Back