News   Apr 26, 2024
 650     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Cement vs. Asphalt on roads?

BMO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just took a trip down recently to Cleveland, where I noticed that in some areas of the city the streets weren't paved with asphalt, but rather had concrete squares on the streets, I've recently been looking for thise in Toronto, and the only raod that uses it is the 407 highway. I was wondering if anyone knew the adavantages or disadvantages of both methods, and why they are implemented in a place like Cleveland and even Buffalo, I noticed, who both have similar weather conditions to us, but they aren't implemented here in Toronto?

Concrete lasts longer but costs more. There's nothing more to add.

FYI, cement is merely the binding agent in the building material known as concrete. Cement is to concrete as flour is to cake. The proper way to refer to it in construction is "concrete roads" or "concrete structures".

It's worth noting that among the rare significant stretches of concrete roadway in Ontario are Lakeshore/Southdown in SW Mississauga, and Hwy 49 btw/Picton and Deseronto--in both cases, conveniently going by cement plants. Advertising their wares, perhaps?

Concrete makes for a less pleasant drive in my experience. Feels louder and less smooth.

In theory asphault is smoother. However in practice, our roads are not maintained well enough to keep the asphalt smooth. With construction and random hydro digs, the asphalt is patchy, and cracks appear everywhere making for a bumpy ride. I'll take a slightly noisier ride of concrete which while more expensive up front, actually lasts longer and is less prone to cracking then asphalt is. That is an important quality for our extreme climate.

I prefer the 407 driving experience to the 401. 407 is louder but way smoother and no need to swerve around giant potholes that can swallow a car. :D

It's really all a game regarding Asphalt. It's a waste of tax dollars to consistently keep up with it. It's worse than a pet! Cement is a better way to go and wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run? Hasn't anyone (considering we're in 2009 here) created some type of mixture that's durable? How about granite? :p

The 427 from the QEW to the 401 used to be entirely concrete. But last year the southbound stretch was re-paved with asphalt on top of the original layer of cement(the top of which was smoothened out). The quality of the roadway there is impressive, all roads should be built with this combination.

Last edited:
In theory asphault is smoother. However in practice, our roads are not maintained well enough to keep the asphalt smooth. With construction and random hydro digs, the asphalt is patchy, and cracks appear everywhere making for a bumpy ride. I'll take a slightly noisier ride of concrete which while more expensive up front, actually lasts longer and is less prone to cracking then asphalt is. That is an important quality for our extreme climate.

I prefer the 407 driving experience to the 401. 407 is louder but way smoother and no need to swerve around giant potholes that can swallow a car. :D

is hydro digging any better or easier with concrete?

Most major roads in Toronto are constructed with a concrete (not cement) base topped with a few inches of asphalt. I think concrete surfaces are not happy with road salt and spalling (surface deterioration) occurs in freezing weather.

Last edited:
Asphalt is a much darker colour, and therefore absorbs a lot more heat. From an environmentalist's standpoint, concrete would be a better choice due to less heat absorption.

Asphalt is a much darker colour, and therefore absorbs a lot more heat. From an environmentalist's standpoint, concrete would be a better choice due to less heat absorption.

From an environmentalist's perspective, we'd get rid of all our roads :p

Generally roads in Ontario that are concrete surfaces and not asphalt are built in heavy truck traffic areas. For example, Parkdale and Burlington Streets in Hamilton. Anyone who has stood at a popular TTC bus stop would see the waves that are created in the asphalt over time due to the weight of the vehicles in the same location... concrete prevents this.

Spent many years in the states in an area where it was entirely concrete streets. I do not recommend it. Potholes on concrete roads destroy your car. Literally destroy it. With our weather fluctuations I just don't see it as a good idea. Stick with the tried and true flexible asphalt for this climate. Additionally, the ride on a concrete road is horrible. Every square connection point you can hear the flick as you drive by it.

>>>Every square connection point you can hear the flick as you drive by it. <<<

I recall Highway 17 across southern New York State ("Southern Tier Expressway"?) used to be made of concrete. It was miles and miles of "bump....bump....bump....bump...bump...".

Back