News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Cargo trams in Amsterdam (light rail freight)

Ronald

Member Bio
Reaction score
In Amsterdam, tests began on the 7th of March, to transport cargo via trams (streetcars).
During 4 weeks, 2 trams will supply stores and companies via a fixed route through the city. This isn't a new phenomenon in Europe. Dresden (Germany) and Zurich (Switzerland) already have operating cargo trams.
If Amsterdam's trial is succesfull, and investment of 100 million euro will be made, that would bring a fleet of 52 cargo trams to life. The network will run from 4 peripheral 'cross docks' to 15 innercity hubs.
These trams will cut the number of lorries unloading in the inner city in half, from 5000 to 2500. Particulate pollution would be reduced by 20%.

spijkstaal_0452.jpg

citycargo_801_front_ppl.jpg

Maybe we can buy an old PCC from somewhere and turn it into a garbage and recycling streetcar. It would be quieter in the middle of the night and would not emit all of the fumes of a frequently accelerating and idling garbage truck.

According to the website, the trams are basically bringing the goods from outside the city into a central location in the city and then unloading them onto electric trucks which will deliver them to the final destination. I was worried that I would end up sitting on the number 2 tram on my way to work waiting for the cargo tram in front of us to unload at each store.

The garbage street cars sound like a good idea but i don't see how you could use them on a route that has 24hr passenger service without backing up the regular street cars.

What if we were to build switches on certain parts of the track so a streetcar going, lets say southbound, can pass a 'garbage streetcar' on the southbound track by using the northbound track until it gets to the next switch?

I think the biggest problem this idea will face will be from the garbage men themselves. Trucks are better since they meet the curb, therefore drivers just toss the bags into the back and move to the next stop. With a streetcar set back from the curb, garbage collection would take way more time and become a pretty difficult job. Imagine someone collecting garbage along
Spadina? I would feel sorry for them.

There are a lot of different ideas you could explore

- Recycling and compost collection (green transit for green social behaviour would make a really nice statement, minus the loud glass bottles of course)
- Canada Post
- Public Works Department
- Cargo or other delivery services

It would be an interesting idea to suggest to the TTC now. Once they start replacing streetcars they could easily save a number of them for experimenting with different services. Between now and then you would also have lots of time to properly set up and plan the program.

I think the only type of cargo feasible for trams is cargo (as opposed to trash). All they would need to do is build tracks into the loading areas of buildings that require lots of shipments and run trams on them, possibly shipping them to freight railways.

how about if we just focus on the CBD to start with. there is a lot of talk in this forum about an underground streetcar bypass through the CBD either on King or Queen or somewhere else (I haven't followed the discussion that closely) so we build this into that proposal. Plan a turnoff from the underground section into the lower level of either an existing or proposed tower's parking garage (or if anyone can think of public space that could be used - something along the line, adjacent to the CBD that hasn't been excavated yet) The loss of parking revenue can be offset by charging a fee to other users of the system.
Build a turn-around and offloading dock and then deliver all of the goods using electric vehicles via the PATH system. I'm pretty sure that PATH has all sorts of behind the scenes pathways and elevators that the average pedestrian doesn't see. Some adjustments to the PATH system would have to be made. Loading terminals would need to be built on the fringes of the streetcar system to the east, west, north and the harbour (do goods still get delivered at the harbour? and would Pearson be totally out of the question?) where trucks could deliver their goods and have them loaded onto the streetcars.
The garbage and recycling from all the towers on the PATH system could be loaded and use the same system to ship it outward.

I could see streetcars being used for deliveries to manufacturing facilities, especially between the factory and intermodal depots (like CN operates). Don't they do something like this for a Daimler factory in Germany?

There are a lot of different ideas you could explore
- Recycling and compost collection (green transit for green social behaviour would make a really nice statement, minus the loud glass bottles of course)
- Canada Post
- Public Works Department
- Cargo or other delivery services

Talk about back to the future. Many North American street railways carried LCL (less than carload) freight, post, there were even funeral cars. The TTC carried LCL freight down Yonge Street right to the Esplanade until 1930, with freight from the North Yonge line out to Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket and Sutton.

It's a shame that LCL freight, transported via trams, was stopped in Toronto. Somehow it seems the concept of transporting freight with trams, which is nowadays perceived to be progressive, is just an idea from a past era in which we weren't so focussed on cars.

a network of moving pinyatas :)

whatya think?

sure the trams are good for real 'freight' but what about all of those individual 2x 2x4 ft boxes? all they need is a pinyata on a clothes-line no?

does any one please tell me of this sort of technology, for cargo? instead of candies? instead of clothes?

thanks,
Wayne
wayne@worldsfairest.com

Back