566     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 823     0 

Cannons in Toronto

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As a history nut and a Limey-Canuck, I'm always intrigued when I see an old Napoleonic War cast-iron cannon in a city park. I was wonder if there is a listing of where all these cannons are. Do you have one in your neighbourhood?

I know of one in Riverdale Farm West, next to the old Riverdale Hospital. There are of course several at Fort York, plus IIRC at least one at the French-built Fort Rouillé at the CNE, plus a few at Queen's Park.

If you look carefully, you can usually read the year the gun was made on the breech markings.

There is a French fort at the the CNE? Did I miss that??

Also, isn't there a canon of some sort in front of the military club on University?

There's some cannon thingies at the Moss Park Armoury too.

800px-

There's a nice little one at the RCYC Clubhouse, over on the island, which they fire at 8 o'clock every evening when the flag is lowered.

And there are a couple of bronze cannons, used by the Russians against the British during the Crimean War, outside the front doors of the Legislature at Queen's Park.

Starting our own militia now, are we Beez? :confused:

There's also a very sad and lonely looking cannon sitting on a grimy beach in a park just south of Long Branch.

it's only a matter of time before some evangelical minister gets offended by these cannons and order they all be melted down and recast into statues of christian heterosexual families gathered in a circle & reading the bible. a cannon could after all symbolize a penis ejaculating. we wouldn't want to offend anyone and those who are offended shouldn't have their tax dollars go to the maintenance of the items and lost real estate that they occupy which could be rented out.

that all depends which passages they're reading.

p.s, you totally missed the point of my reply.
I must have. What was it exactly?

Seems that you've got your threads mixed up, this one's about historic military artifacts, not ejaculation, penises, bibles or peoples' sexuality.

I must have. What was it exactly?

Seems that you've got your threads mixed up, this one's about historic military artifacts, not ejaculation, penises, bibles or peoples' sexuality.

not mixed up at all. people can find cannons offensive. why should tax dollars be spent to maintain them and why should they be displayed on public lands? maybe there are some in the public that disagree with the violence that cannons represent. they are after all weapons. is this a message we want to send to our children? that it's okay to fire cannons at an opposing population? why should their tax dollars be spent on displaying or maintaining things they morally disagree with?

you're not a hypocrite are you?

Not up to your usual standards, Supremo. I don't know anyone who approves of war, and wouldn't really want to know such a person. But I have no problem with displaying artifacts that speak to our history. It's as valid as preserving historic buildings, displaying thousand-year-old artworks in museums, etc. It's part of what has made us what we are. And what penises, homosexuality, etc. have to do with this is well beyond me.

Back