News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 721     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.5K     7 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

Yeah I think waterloo would be an excellent location for a NASL team.

Agreed. I just noticed that London has a team that is part of the CSL that even the CSA wants nothing to do with since the match fixing scandal. Hopefully the Argos invest in Kitchener-Waterloo region. Blackberry as a Sponsor on the jerseys!

Last edited:
If Bon Jovi/MLSE and Rogers gets their hands on the Buffolo Bills, it seems we will have solve the question of : Which Stadium would host the Finals!

I concur on K-W being an excellent market.

It would be interesting if the Canadian MLS teams applied to have their reserve teams play in the Canadian league. MLS might force them to have their reserves in the USL but if their Canadian academy players really can't play in America, then perhaps having two reserve teams in both divisions is possible. It isn't unheard of for teams to have multiple reserve sides in Europe.

Or alternatively, an affiliate system.

^wonder why the owner of the Lions would take a team and put it in a city near where his CFL team is but the owner of the Argonauts would not do the same thing?

Wait? Isn't the owner of the Argos and the Lions the same dude! I think he's trying to sell both teams (I guess the good Conservative Senator couldn't get our government tax dollars to prop up the Argos every year like he did during the Grey Cup hosting year) From all accounts the Argos, Ti-Cats are losing money and the Alouettes can *maybe* make money if they get a home playoff game at Olympic stadium. I don't see them able to expand to another sports franchise.

Has anybody watched any of the U20 women soccer, the women had some decent crowds at BMO in their game against Ghana and Finland. (about 15,000 for Ghana, 16,500 for Finland) It did also unfortunatly reminded me how frustration seeing people who live here cheering for their "home land" against the nation they are living now in, man that angers me. It was really bad in the Ghana match.

Wait? Isn't the owner of the Argos and the Lions the same dude!

Was making a joke about someone stating a Victoria team would be owned by the BC Lions but wondering if the Argos would be interested in owning a team near Toronto (seemed obvious to me...guess it really did need an emoticon) ;)

I think he's trying to sell both teams (I guess the good Conservative Senator couldn't get our government tax dollars to prop up the Argos every year like he did during the Grey Cup hosting year) From all accounts the Argos, Ti-Cats are losing money and the Alouettes can *maybe* make money if they get a home playoff game at Olympic stadium. I don't see them able to expand to another sports franchise.

He is actively trying to sell the Argos and has stated he wants to sell the Lions in the near future (he is getting on in years). Yes, I doubt that he would want to add sister teams to those two prior to the sale.

Has anybody watched any of the U20 women soccer, the women had some decent crowds at BMO in their game against Ghana and Finland. (about 15,000 for Ghana, 16,500 for Finland) It did also unfortunatly reminded me how frustration seeing people who live here cheering for their "home land" against the nation they are living now in, man that angers me. It was really bad in the Ghana match.

What % of the crowd was cheering for Ghana (est.)? Is there any chance they were comprised (partly or mainly) of people visiting from Ghana for the tournament? That is, after all, one of the reasons you want to host international events.

Considering the amount of Ghanians in Toronto, I think they were domestic fans.

I am sure those fans are the "foot in both camps" types of fans and would cheer on Canada on another day. It is best to not ostracize them while they are taking an interest in the sport.

As for the Womens U20 games, I hear they were essentially giving away tickets at work places. That is how my friend attended, and probably had a reason to do with the high attendance figures.

They may think of Ghana as their home but their kids will probably cheer for Canada, and their grandkids won't have any ties to Ghana at all.

It's about the long-game.

They may think of Ghana as their home but their kids will probably cheer for Canada, and their grandkids won't have any ties to Ghana at all.

It's about the long-game.

+1000
Well said, this is why Canada works, sober thinking and a patient longterm strategic approach!

It did also unfortunatly reminded me how frustration seeing people who live here cheering for their "home land" against the nation they are living now in, man that angers me.

So, you're saying I should cheer for Canada, where I have only lived for five years, versus cheering for Australia, where I was born and raised for 24 years and am a citizen of? Also curious what makes you think they didn't travel from Ghana for the tournament? Did you interview them all personally?

Back