News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 543     1 

Canadian Highway Fantasy Thread

Bypass Fantasy For North Bay and Timmins

Since getting through Timmins and North Bay is a time consuming and annoying process what if there’s a bypass for both. For North Bay it connects Northern Highway 11 to Highway 17 West and East of it. For Timmins and Porcupine it passes by it avoiding the hell that is downtown Timmins.View attachment 575399View attachment 575400
As someone from North Bay, all I have to say is ... Yikes! You would be destroying a lot of prime recreational areas including the Mattawa River Provincial Park.

It seems drawing random lines on maps is fun for some. In North Bay's case, the proposed bypass seems to ignore a Hwy 11 south connection, so another random line is required.

There is provision for an improved North Bay bypass (I won't call it a 'plan') by locking up zoning in a corridor running behind Northgate Mall. I've seen a map from the MTO on here before that someone posted but for the life of me I have been unable to find since.

It seems drawing random lines on maps is fun for some. In North Bay's case, the proposed bypass seems to ignore a Hwy 11 south connection, so another random line is required.

There is provision for an improved North Bay bypass (I won't call it a 'plan') by locking up zoning in a corridor running behind Northgate Mall. I've seen a map from the MTO on here before that someone posted but for the life of me I have been unable to find since.
That is called route 6.

Bypass Fantasy For North Bay and Timmins

Since getting through Timmins and North Bay is a time consuming and annoying process what if there’s a bypass for both. For North Bay it connects Northern Highway 11 to Highway 17 West and East of it. For Timmins and Porcupine it passes by it avoiding the hell that is downtown Timmins.View attachment 575399View attachment 575400
I would be impressed if that bypass of North Bay is somehow faster. I count at least 25 sharp turns there, and the distance looks long. As far as I'm concerned, 11/17 through NB is eventually slated to become a freeway. As it stands currently, the configuration isn't even that bad IMO.

Back when paper maps were a thing, agreed. Now a days, it makes no different.
I use Trans Canada and it covers all the different route numbers. It could be call Canada 1

When we did parts of the east coast we haven't been to a few years ago, I just looked for a sign with Trans Canada on the route sign, Can say we have driven from coast to coast using Trans Canada route.

I use Trans Canada and it covers all the different route numbers. It could be call Canada 1

When we did parts of the east coast we haven't been to a few years ago, I just looked for a sign with Trans Canada on the route sign, Can say we have driven from coast to coast using Trans Canada route.
I live where 2 Trans Canada routes intersect. Other than a shield, it has no bearing on any of the discussions around those highways.

Both Toronto - -the largest city in Canada and Halifax - the largest city in the Maritimes are bypassed by it. To redo all of the signs and numbering would be rather pointless these days.

Back