1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

Canadian family with four children killed in Lebanon

G

ganjavih

Canadian family with four children killed in Lebanon

By David Ljunggren
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Seven Canadians from the same Montreal family, including four young children, were killed in Lebanon on Sunday when Israeli aircraft bombed a house in the south of the country, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp said.

A Canadian foreign ministry spokeswoman confirmed the deaths and said three people were hurt. But she said the incident happened when the house in the town of Aitaroun was shelled.

Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay said Ottawa was sending ships to help evacuate up to 40,000 Canadians believed to be in Lebanon.

The CBC named the dead as Ali El-Akhras, his wife Amira and their four children aged one, four, six and eight. The seventh family member was Ali's uncle, also named Ali, who had moved to Montreal from Lebanon 15 years ago.

"It's not just us," the elder Ali's son Hassan El-Akhras told CBC. "There are a lot of civilians who have been killed. The streets are closed. I am asking the international community to help and put pressure on Israel to stop the bombing."

MacKay issued a brief statement extending his sympathies to the relatives of the dead.

CBC said Israeli officials had called Canada's ambassador in Tel Aviv to apologize and promise a full investigation into what had gone wrong.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper may now come under domestic pressure to take a tougher line on Israel's actions. On Thursday he described the Israeli attacks as justified and measured.

In Ottawa, CTV television said around 2,000 protestors gathered on Parliament Hill to protest against the Israeli attacks and Harper's words. "Killing children is not a 'measured response,"' read one banner.

Several hundred demonstrators also gathered in Montreal to oppose the Israeli attacks.

Harper is in Russia for a summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations.

Since taking power in February, he has shifted Ottawa's stance on the Middle East from one of relative neutrality to a firmly pro-Israel position.

Canada has a significant minority of Lebanese origin as well as a fast-growing Muslim population.

Around 16,000 Canadians in Lebanon have registered with the embassy there but MacKay told CTV television that the real figure could be as high as 40,000.

MacKay said Canada -- working in conjunction with Britain and France -- was securing commercial vessels and positioning them off the coast of Lebanon to prepare for an evacuation.

"We're calling for restraint in all sectors right now and hope to be able to have those ships in place and citizens moving out of Lebanon as quickly as possible," he said.

Opposition parties and some relatives of those trapped in Lebanon say Canada has been too slow to come to the rescue.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren)

Aw come on, Israel is completely within its bounds in the "measured" killing hundreds of civilians in response to a terrorist group killing eight of its soldiers and kidnapping two others, don't you know? That's pretty much what Steve, Tony and George say.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper may now come under domestic pressure to take a tougher line on Israel's actions. On Thursday he described the Israeli attacks as justified and measured.

Maybe Harper should think first before he comes out with his total support for such excessive actions. Killing hundreds of civilians is hardly "measured" by any stretch. One can't even argue the deaths as being "accidental." So how could it be "measured?"

I hadn't realised your extensive background in operating advanced weaponry. Could you explain your techniques for ensuring collateral damage doesn't occur?
</sarcasm>

Kevin

Don't bomb sites that need not be bombed, hows that?

I didn't realize this thread was about advanced weaponry. I thought it was about civilians, such as children, being killed. The "collateral" damage may be acceptable to you, but that does not make it acceptable to everyone else, does it?

No sarcasm here.

Don't bomb sites that need not be bombed, hows that?

My mistake, I hadn't realised that you had advanced knowledge of target assessment. Please explain more on your theories of what should be bombed and what shouldn't.

The "collateral" damage may be acceptable to you, but that does not make it acceptable to everyone else, does it?

You might point that out to Hezbollah. They've been rather indiscriminate in the past. You might also point it out to the Lebanese, who have allowed Hezbollah into the government, and allowed Hezbollah to strike Israel from their territory.

Kevin

You might point that out to Hezbollah. They've been rather indiscriminate in the past.

Yes. That's because they're a terrorist group. The State of Israel should operate to a rather higher standard.

If they're collateral damage? Yes.

If there were ever a case for civilian control of the military, that's it right there.

The State of Israel should operate to a rather higher standard.

They do operate to a higher standard. What part of collateral damage as opposed to primary target do you not understand?

If there were ever a case for civilian control of the military, that's it right there.

The Israeli military is under civilian control. What's your point?

Kevin

So that justifies murdering children?

That's a good question, and I wonder how a Palestinian would answer it after training his kids to be suicide bombers.

Israel is doing exactly what any self-respecting country would do in this situation. In fact, it's being too reserved. No other nation would put up with this shit. If the Lebanese government can't prevent terrorist groups from attacking Israel from the Lebanese soil, then Israel will do it for them. If the Lebanase government is fine with terrorist organizations openly operating within its civilian population. then the world shouldn't be surprised that civilians end up getting killed. This is a war of survival, unlike the Arabs, Israel can't afford to lose a war, therefore it has do everything in its power to ensure its future.

My mistake, I hadn't realised that you had advanced knowledge of target assessment. Please explain more on your theories of what should be bombed and what shouldn't.

Did I say that I did? I was not arguing for anything to be bombed. You might want to read the few short sentences I wrote a little more closely.

You might point that out to Hezbollah. They've been rather indiscriminate in the past. You might also point it out to the Lebanese, who have allowed Hezbollah into the government, and allowed Hezbollah to strike Israel from their territory.

I don't think everything has to be spelled out for you. Does one have to first provide a history of the middle east to make a point? Did I provide a defence for Hezbollah? Try to draw some distinctions here and there.

andrepalladio asks:

So that justifies murdering children?

Your answer:

If they're collateral damage? Yes.

As for defending theories, you may want to spell out how it is that you see justification in the murder of children. As for "collateral damage," nice military euphemism; a great way to cover over the fact that lots of human beings are being killed for no particular reason - other than being in the way of other's advanced weaponry.

That's a good question, and I wonder how a Palestinian would answer it after training his kids to be suicide bombers.

Thats a good question too and so long as people harbour anti-Arab attitudes and let racism towards continue en masse I guess that question will be open for discussion.

If the Lebanese government can't prevent terrorist groups from attacking Israel from the Lebanese soil, then Israel will do it for them.

You're right. I only hope that my condo doesn't get bombed by the Americans the next time a terrorist sneaks across the border. Oh wait, it would only be collateral damage anyway...

The Israeli military is under civilian control. What's your point?

My point is that, assuming you're in the military and that others in that institution share your attitudes, I'm happy that it operates under civilian control.

Back