News   Jul 15, 2024
 831     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     1 

Canada's next Prime Minister?

Who would win in the Federal Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's a good article in Macleans this week about how the Liberals are losing the support of female voters, a critical base of support for Dion, and that the women are looking toward Harper.

This is true in my own house, where my wife, who has (so she tells me) voted NDP in every provincial and federal election since the mid-1990s, now says she likes Harper and may vote for him. Aghast I was, aghast.

I hope people in Quebec are really reading between the lines. Harper's reckless comments need to be taken into consideration, he deserves to lose every seat he gained in Quebec and lose this election overall.

Like it or not he is popular in Quebec. His recognition of the Quebecois as a nation was extremely well received in that province.....

I have been wondering though who the best PM will be on the unity file well before Harper brought it up. While I don't buy the line that the Green Shift would damage national unity severely, there will be some impact from a policy that would disproportionately target Alberta and Ontario, and increasingly Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, while lauding Quebec (tons of hydro to sell). The problem is even the NDP/Conservative cap-and-trade idea would target those same provinces. It'll tough to ensure that no single province pays a disproportionate price for greening the economy.

Beyond that hard to say who would unite the country. None of them wants to talk at all about constitutional issues.

Why would she go from NDP to Harper?

That's voting personality over politics.

Why would she go from NDP to Harper?

That's voting personality over politics.
I'd say personality AND politics directly influence voting patterns. I know that my wife believes that Harper hasn't been nearly as scary as lefties have predicted, and she no longer buys the idea that once he has a majority that the white hoods and cross burners will appear.

Is the conservative running in your riding of any interest?

As for minority/majority, I don't think the Conservatives will be "scary" as a minority. They have not been scary up to now.

What Canada need iz a Lebanese president

311522354_bb7ce215be.jpg

More on carbon taxes....

IDNUMBER 200809120001
PUBLICATION: National Post
DATE: 2008.09.12
EDITION: National
SECTION: News
PAGE: A1
BYLINE: Craig Offman
SOURCE: National Post
WORD COUNT: 630

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbon taxes reap mixed results in Scandinavia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Stephane Dion and his team trumpet the success of carbon taxes in other countries, they are usually short on specifics. Perhaps for good reason.

While every Scandinavian country has had its own version of the Green Shift in place since the early '90s, there is no direct comparison with the Liberals' plan to be found anywhere across the Nordic divide.

Equally important, the results from country to country have been mixed.

"No country other than Denmark has seen large declines in emissions," said Monica Prasad, a sociology professor at Northwestern University and an expert on taxation as a regulatory tool. "Norway has seen a 43% increase."

Mr. Dion's proposal involves a levy at the wholesale level that would apply to a broad range of such fossil fuels as coal, propane and oil, which would be taxed on the amount of offending carbon that they emit.

According to the Green Shift manual, the 700 largest emitters, mostly from heavy industry and power plants, would account for a majority of the program's estimated $15-billion revenue, money that would eventually be funnelled back to Canadians through tax cuts and perhaps social programs.

Generally speaking, however, the countries Mr. Dion cites -- such as Sweden -- use a different approach.

They levy carbon taxes on consumers, not on heavy manufacturers. So those modest-to-respectable reductions in emissions could be attributed to changes in consumer behaviour, as well as massive shifts to cleaner forms of energy -- not necessarily to manufacturers cleaning up their act.

"Most of the success comes from those countries who have invested heavily in alternative sources, such as wind power," Ms. Prasad said.

Experts say Denmark, for example, weaned itself off coal, one of the dirtiest forms of energy, embracing wind power as an alternative. Percapita emissions there fell 15% from 1990 to 2005.

Impressive as that model might be, it is not entirely analogous to Canada's situation.

Canadian consumers already rely on other, cleaner forms of traditional energy such as nuclear or hydroelectric power, so they might not see such quick, dramatic reductions if they flipped to alternative forms. And while wind farms, for instance, are a promising source of clean-tech, they are not as ubiquitous on the Canadian landscape as they are in Denmark.

Though the Liberals have floated Norway as another model country, it, too, is not comparable, and many insist its own program has, if anything, had a negative effect.

For many years, natural gas, aviation and shipping companies were only some of the companies to which the Norwegian government gave partial or full exemptions, but that program has since been extended to almost all polluters.

According to Ms. Prasad, the government was initially reluctant to raise tax rates, which might have pushed companies to seek alternative energy forms -- and put a hole in national coffers. "If you raise the tax, you kill the goose that lays the golden egg," she said.

After examining the country's huge spike in emissions -- perhaps attributable in part to a robust oil and gas exploration industry -- a Statistics Norway study found that "despite considerable taxes and price increases for some fuel types, the carbon tax effect has been modest," says the report. "The carbon taxes contributed to only [a] 2% reduction."

With its impressive 9% reduction in carbon emissions, Sweden exceeded the Kyoto Protocol targets, but its program also is not an apples-to-apples comparison with the Green Shift, which hopes to grab a big chunk of change from Big Oil, not from its consumers' pocketbooks.

"Oil companies there pay a low carbon tax," said Peter Berck, an expert on the Swedish experience who teaches agricultural and resource economics at the University of California, Berkeley.

And unlike the Swedish model, the Liberal plan hints, however vaguely, at creating social programs with an unspecified amount of the windfall.

When asked if he thought the Green Shift would fly, Mr. Berck hedged. "I'd rather see my energy bills go up and my taxes go down than see the government embark on some new project. But I'm an American."

One of my colleagues here at work is an advisor to the Liberal campaign, and I keep telling him it's the economy, not the environment that's important. He shakes his head, says I know, but that the leader doesn't care.

One of my colleagues here at work is an advisor to the Liberal campaign, and I keep telling him it's the economy, not the environment that's important. He shakes his head, says I know, but that the leader doesn't care.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think the Libs would do much better if they focused on the economy instead of the environment. People instinctively know that that an economic slowdown is coming...and the Conservatives are getting a free ride because all they have to do is challenge the Green Shift as bad for the economy....

"I'd rather see my energy bills go up and my taxes go down than see the government embark on some new project. But I'm an American."

correct me if I'm wrong, but that is exactly what the Green Shift program will do. Income taxes will be reduced and will be transfered to make energy costs higher. The point is, rather than the do nothing scenario this guy alludes to, all of us will have the ability to influence our energy bill by choices we make. One thing that does concern me is that the carbon tax is at the wholesale level, thus making it tempting for the tax just to be passed along rather than encourage change.

Right now, my vote is a toss up between the Greens (preferred choice) or Libs (strategic vote) If the Libs lose big, they seriously have to think about choosing a new leader.

As much as I dislike him, I have to admit that Harper seems to be an excellent political strategist. He knows how to play to the masses and seems good at controlling the direction of the debate, always keeping the opposition on the defensive. As somone pointed out previously, the thing the Cons have going for them is they are the only party playing center-right, while potentially 4 parties divide the vote on the other side. The right learned their lesson well from Reform and Alliance days. I dont think personalities on the left will necessarily be so wise headed to unite the left even if they are handed a Cons. majority to deal with. Perhaps a deal between the Libs / Greens as we have already had May endorsing Dion for PM...?

Harper's 2 cents/liter diesel tax cut proposal just shows how dumb he is. If your paying $1.20+/ liter, 2 cents will not impact your budget in any meaningful way... He should be passing that $600 million to cash strapped municipalities like Toronto for public transit, schools, etc.

How much would Norway's emissions have risen without a carbon tax? It has a booming oil industry, much like Canada. And Sweden's exemptions for major industrial emitters is indeed a problem, but doesn't seem like a weakness for the Liberal proposal.

Redroom:

It's fine for it to be applied at the wholesale level. It still provides an incentive to reduce emissions by making alternatives or equipment upgrades relatively cheaper when compared to fossil fuels.

i have to agree that most people are more concerned about their own well being first than the well being of the environment. you can tackle the environment when peoples' wallets are doing fine but not during these times. the environment won't make anyone win this election.

Are times so tough? The economy isn't growing, but outside of a couple of sectors, it seems the economy is doing ok. My company has been on a hiring binge for months--we're having difficulty filling positions.

The way people are talking, you'd think it was 1992.

Back