News   Jul 15, 2024
 819     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 955     1 

Canada's next Prime Minister?

Who would win in the Federal Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its also dumb to support a party handing out penny tax cuts expecting good budgeting and funding to be available for needed programs.

More so than someone promising billions in new social programs? Meh, I've rapidly lost interest in this election. Nobody is really inspirational....and nobody is talking about what matters to me...economy, foreign policy, arctic sovereignty, urban issues, etc.

On an interesting note...Miller endorsed the Greens...at least someone shares my opinion (quasi...its more of a protest vote for me)! Yay for the new guy (umm gal?)!

Urban issues could easily have been the Liberal's kicker. There was a momentum a few years back to put this issue on the front burner. The initiative was then lost when the focus on urban centres became diluted by the more vague notion of "communities."

Over half the population of this country lives in urban regions, and these regions have very specific and very pressing needs, yet its hard to hear this being spoken of directly.

is it just me or am I generally not seeing too many election campaign signs around the City for the Liberal candidates? seems like so far only the Conservative (and some NDP) signs are out there
Where are you? I noticed that in Etobicoke North, f'rinstance, Tories and NDP were the only ones visible (mostly on ROWs) until recently...

I'm in Markham ... daily activity areas include Richmond Hill, North York, and Scarborough ... just to clarify, so there are few Liberal election signs in your area too? if so I wonder what's the deal

I think Dion's infrastructure plan sealed the deal for me. He's basically proposing one of the soundest economic policy agendas in recent memory. Low income taxes, investment in infrastructure, and serious attempts to deal with systemic poverty (though to win me over on that front, he'd need to propose a guaranteed annual income, as the Greens have).

Hopefully 'The Team' can do the job of selling it to Canadians, because it's probably beyond hope that Dion can pull it off. Too bad, too. He's someone who actually seems to get it. He could do great things for this country.

just remember ... the reason why Dion is proposing to lower the income tax is so that you can afford to pay for the costs associated with the proposed 'carbon tax' ... and its 'supposed' to zero out in costs to the average Canadian

I think Dion's infrastructure plan sealed the deal for me. He's basically proposing one of the soundest economic policy agendas in recent memory. Low income taxes, investment in infrastructure, and serious attempts to deal with systemic poverty (though to win me over on that front, he'd need to propose a guaranteed annual income, as the Greens have).

I am leaning this way too. However, I still haven't been able to see a full costing of this plan. It seems like he just whipped out the numbers out of thin air. 7 billion a year is a lot of money. What's he going to cut and what taxes is he going to raise to do that? I suspect that either is the Green Shift is not as revenue neutral as he claims or that the GST cuts will be reversed. I don't have a problem with either of those, if that's paying infrastructure. However, I' like them to be honest about it.

I am surprised the NDP and the Greens haven't responded to the Liberal $70 billion infrastructure promise.

It seems like he just whipped out the numbers out of thin air. 7 billion a year is a lot of money. What's he going to cut and what taxes is he going to raise to do that? I suspect that either is the Green Shift is not as revenue neutral as he claims or that the GST cuts will be reversed.

It does sound a little "whipped out of the air" and it will be interesting to see some details. Funding appears to be a weak point, as well. Besides the issue of taxes, one wonders if a Liberal government would reallocate money to fund this promise or raise taxes. Would they then put any effort into restoring funding to the things the Conservatives cut?

That being said, at least someone has finally spoken of infrastructure. Maybe the other parties will now roll out (or not) their own ideas of what they intend to do.

Miller and McCallion applaud Liberals' ambitious blueprint

Sep 19, 2008 04:30 AM

RICHARD BRENNAN
IN TORONTO
BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
IN OTTAWA

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion unveiled plans to spend $70 billion over 10 years on Canada's aging infrastructure in a commitment hailed by Toronto Mayor David Miller and other municipal leaders.

"Our cities and communities are facing an infrastructure deficit that is affecting Canadians' quality of life (and) economic prospects, as well as threatening our environment, our water, our sewage system, our energy grid, our roads and bridges," Dion said yesterday.

Surrounded by Liberal candidates from in and around Toronto, Dion said the $70 billion investment will go toward building and upgrading strategic infrastructure, creating an $8 billion national transit strategy, developing a small communities fund, improving border crossings and sports and recreational facilities – all while helping create jobs.

The president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, on Parliament Hill yesterday to demand all federal parties make an urban strategy a centrepiece of their election platforms, applauded the plan as "ground-breaking."

"It's good news. It's a good example of the tools we need to turn the tide of the $123 billion infrastructure deficit," said Jean Perrault, mayor of Sherbrooke, Que.

The Liberals would finance the plan by diverting any portion of the budget surplus above $3 billion to infrastructure and creating a special infrastructure bank to make available low-interest loans for infrastructure projects such as regional energy grids or high-speed rail, Dion said. The bank funds would be generated in part by the sale of tax-free green bonds.

The plan also includes almost $25 billion for municipalities over the 10 years through an improved gas tax transfer, added Dion, who arrived at Exhibition Place with other Liberals after taking the GO train from Burlington.

While Prime Minister Stephen Harper attacked the cost of the plan and NDP Leader Jack Layton questioned the Liberals' sincerity, the mayors of Toronto and Mississauga praised the commitment.

"Cities across this country have been demanding attention to our infrastructure, and permanent, sustained funding to build that infrastructure, and I think this announcement is a very significant step," Miller said.

He added that he and Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay have called for a national transit strategy with $2 billion a year invested. The Liberals are the first party to commit to a national strategy, he said.

Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion, vocal in her demands for a better deal for cities, said Dion's plan is just what she's been asking for.

"And it's not for potholes," said McCallion, taking a swipe at Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's statement that Ottawa isn't in the business of fixing city roads. "It's for transit and sewage treatment and bridges and hospitals and colleges and all sorts of important things."

Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell, however, said the fact the money is linked to a federal surplus of $3 billion or more is a huge problem.

"We need long-term, guaranteed, sustainable new revenues that grow with the economy, not spare change if there's some left over," she said. "We can't plan if one year we'll get funding and the next year maybe we won't. ... If it's important, if municipalities truly are a priority, the money should be guaranteed."

Brian Nicholson, deputy mayor of Oshawa, said any program that boosts funding for cities is a good thing. But he said he's worried some of the money is set aside for loans and not outright grants.

"This is great if you're a big city or a province and you can borrow money," Nicholson told the Star. "But smaller cities wouldn't be able to pay them back."

The Liberals are committed to putting the first $3 billion of a surplus toward the debt. Asked if the plan would fail without a surplus of more than $3 billion, Dion said the proposal is not based entirely on extra money at year's end.

Harper attacked the Liberal spending promises. "The real question is going to be is this going to be paid for by the carbon tax, is this going to be paid by running deficits or is this something they have no intention of actually doing?"

While Layton said he had not yet seen the details of the Liberal plan, he was quick to express doubts.

Layton, who served as president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, said it was like "pulling teeth" to get the support of the Liberals for urban initiatives.

Dion said priorities include:

$10 billion for strategic infrastructure, particularly green infrastructure such as water and sewage treatment, and clean energy grids.

At least $8 billion for a national transit strategy that would enable cities to expand transit systems and green their transit fleets.

$3 billion for a dedicated small communities fund.

With files from Tonda MacCharles, Joanna Smith and Jim Byers

WHAT THEY SAID

"Cities across this country have been demanding attention to our infrastructure, and permanent, sustained funding to build that infrastructure and I think this announcement is a very significant step."

Toronto Mayor David Miller on the Liberal Party's promise to commit more than $70 billion to improve Canadian infrastructure

What team is McCallion playing for anyway? She was spotted participating in a Harper rally just before the election is called. Now she's praising a Liberal promise that her colleague to the north is warning is subject to large federal surpluses, much harder to do after over 2 years of Harper's damage.

What team is McCallion playing for anyway? She was spotted participating in a Harper rally just before the election is called. Now she's praising a Liberal promise that her colleague to the north is warning is subject to large federal surpluses, much harder to do after over 2 years of Harper's damage.

She's hedging her bets....last thing she wants is to face off against a Conservative majority in a few weeks..... Nobody wants to be the next Danny Williams.

Why anyone in the GTA would even consider voting Harper after an infrastructure announcement like this is a little baffling. Make that Canada as a whole. ;)

Harper really is a drab leader.

Why anyone in the GTA would even consider voting Harper after an infrastructure announcement like this is a little baffling. Make that Canada as a whole. ;)

Simple...because the Liberals make the similar promises every election. I remember something being mentioned about global warming last election, the election before that.....etc. How much did emissions go down under the Liberals?

I like the idea but politically, they would have been better off making more 'credible' promises. They have yet to cost out their promises. They should release their platform quickly, they are starting to look desperate. Most Canadians I know would never vote for someone who promised 70 billion in new spending....that's simply way too much money for the average Canuck to comprehend!

No offense, but your lack of knowledge of Canadian politics is showing. The Liberals make promises they either can't or won't keep. As mentioned already, this one may be well-intentioned but appears to have come without an explanation of where the funding would come from. The possibilities are: increase taxes (possible but unpopular), run a deficit (very unpopular in recent years), or cut other programs.

Yep, Harper is "drab". It doesn't seem to be hurting him that much, based on current polling. From a situation a few weeks ago where the two parties were essentially tied, there is now a very significant gap, and if anythihg it may be widening.

Neither Harper nor Dion have much charisma or generate a lot of excitement, but Harper apparently is seen now by many as steady and competent, and the effort to make him look "scary" has flopped.

Hazel McCallion? She is colorful and feisty and speaks her mind. But she is also a very experienced and canny politician. She won't endorse anyone. Remember, after the election, she has to work with whoever is elected.

Back