News   Jul 26, 2024
 921     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Canada's 'housing bubble' deemed close to bursting

Hydrogen is a energy storage solution, not an energy source solution. Hydrogen is the solution to storing energy when not needed so it can be used when needed. Wind and solar have the obvious problem that they don't create energy perfectly in sync with demand. Hydrogen storage allows electricity to hydrogen conversion to occur close to market and can occur at times when the supply to demand ratio is favorable. Prototypes of hydrogen fueling stations have solar panels on site and hydrogen production on site. With hydrogen storage feeding a combustion process (i.e. kinetic) it probably works better than batteries that feed electrical flow because with electricity the energy needs to be converted to kinetic energy.

Part of the big problem with hydrogen storage is batteries. It has limits. You still get a net energy loss with putting power into generating the hydrogen.

Look, from what I understand, we need enormous peak load power just to keep things going and many experts doubt that wind, solar, hydrogen can even come close to handling our needs. Without oil, coal and nuclear, there is no way we can power our society as it currently exists. This is something that people don't understand about energy. We built our entire civilization around cheap energy.

And now we're expected to hit 7 billion this year. Judging from a slowly building chorus of voices on that matter, we're in trouble with trying to maintain a system that's unsustainable.

Last edited:
My recollection is the amount of electricity that is used to create the hydrogen exceeds the amount of electricity that you get by burning the hydrogen. I guess it could make a battery.

Exactly. This is something people don't understand. People don't understand the nature of the problem we're facing regarding energy.

It takes more energy to make hydrogen than it produces. It's a net energy loss. We're backed ourselves into a corner. There is no real solution that's going to allow us to keep 7 billion people alive and consuming with resources starting to show signs of decline and collapse. Something has to give. It's going to be human population and our way of life. Nature is not going to negotiate with us.

I watched a online lecture about sustainability and our society. Very interesting. Here's a link.... http://www.youtube.com/user/newculture#p/u/2/dcC3QBDMCDc

Last edited:
Thanos;535622 "but I can't see Toronto's prices taking a 25% drop in prices. The predicted population growth for Toronto will exceed the available housing stock." /QUOTE said:
I had a rental property in 1989 and remember a potential renter saying to me that his mother who was a real estate agent said that home prices would fall 25%. i told him there was no way. Well 1989 is when home prices crashed in Toronto and started a downward spiral

I remember those years. The market basically just collapsed and stayed that way for years.

People on my father's street were trying to sell their homes and getting no buyers. They kept dropping their prices and still nothing. This one guy that had this corner bungalow house, nice and well maintained and was asking for something like 275k at the time, which was insane and no one would buy at that price.

So he tried selling as a private seller and still nothing. My father use to laugh his ass off at this fool.

I remember those years. The market basically just collapsed and stayed that way for years.

People on my father's street were trying to sell their homes and getting no buyers. They kept dropping their prices and still nothing. This one guy that had this corner bungalow house, nice and well maintained and was asking for something like 275k at the time, which was insane and no one would buy at that price.

So he tried selling as a private seller and still nothing. My father use to laugh his ass off at this fool.

what was the market value at the time?

my parents had a similar experience in 1989/90.
they bought a SFH for $250K around the peak and prices collapsed.

there were multitude of sellers in the neighbourhood, even a doctor who bought for $230K and sold for a $50K loss.
i would think a doctor would have the financial means to stay the long-run, but they bit the bullet.

i believe prices dropped to a low of $170K by 1993/94 [ 32% loss in 4 years ] for the SFHs in the neighbourhood and prices didn't reach back up to the $250K mark until 2005/06.

12 long years just to break-even and that's doesn't include the renos, upkeep, lost expensive interest payments, lost appreciation, etc.

Last edited:
Can't remember the value.

It was such a long time ago. I do remember my father thinking this guy was insane for demanding and refusing to listen to his agents that his property no longer had the value he wanted it to be. The market didn't support it. He put his house on the market in the full swing of the collapse. He had it listed for months. He finally ditched the agents and tried selling on his own and took a massive loss.

My father was quite amused by all this.

Last edited:

Back