News   May 14, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Canada to cut back on visas and immigration permits to extended family

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/02/12/canada-immigration-rates.html

New figures indicate the federal government hopes to reduce overall immigration next year by five per cent, mainly by cutting back on family reunification visas.

Figures from Citizenship and Immigration Canada show the government will issue about 11,000 visas this year to parents and grandparents of Canadian residents, down from more than 16,000 last year. Among the hardest hit by the lower immigration targets will be parents and grandparents seeking to join their children in Canada. The figures indicate the government will issue about 11,000 family reunification visas for parents and grandparents overseas, down from more than 16,000 last year.[\quote]

I disagree with the policy of immigrants bringing their extended families to stay in Canada. We want working adults and their children to build Canada, not their non-productive parents. As an immigrant myself, I can't imagine my parents sponsoring my grandparents to move from the UK to Canada so that they can provide free childcare. Of course us Brits have a slightly harsher view on family than some other cultures - my parents would never provide childcare for my kids, I can't even imagine asking them. As for inheritance, that's your hair and eye colour, nothing else. You'll rarely see Canadians of British origin taking in their feeble-minded or aged parents - that's what old folks home are for. So for Brits the idea of bringing your Grandparents to live with you full time is not top of mind when they first emigrate to Canada.

Back on topic, Australia doesn't permit any extended family reunification, and they seem to have a successful immigration system. I'm all for visitors visas so that the children can meet their cousins, grandparents etc., but if they want to emigrate to Canada they must apply like everyone else.

Free child care? Are you serious? Asians immigrants bring their parents over because they want take care of their parents. Nothing a European would understand, you just throw them into retirement homes, or leave to them live and die alone even if they are 80+ years old and handicapped, bound to a wheelchair, like old Italian woman in the house next door to mine. I much prefer Asian family values over Canadian ones. I would never abandon my parents like you Canadians do.

I agree with you completely; however, the premise that immigrants should be selected to benefit Canada doesn't seem widely accepted. I suspect you'll be crucified as racist and anti-immigrant, even though nothing in your post would warrant those labels.

Asians immigrants bring their parents over because they want take care of their parents.
Asia is a big place, you've got Israelis, Arabs, eastern Russians, Indians, Nepalese, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc, etc. There is no single family culture in Asia. Or have you fallen into the same stereotypical trap that caught Macleans and are referring to Chinese-Canadians as "Asians". My Saudi born neighbour is just as Asian as the Thai guy two doors down.

Yes, us Brits are harsh when it comes to family. We wouldn't have built an empire if we'd worried about our 'nans back home. Send the adults into the grinder of the thin red line and coal pits, the children into the factories and the old people into the Thames. That's the history of the British family, somewhat in jest of course.

Of course us Brits have a slightly harsher view on family than some other cultures - my parents would never provide childcare for my kids, I can't even imagine asking them. As for inheritance, that's your hair and eye colour, nothing else. You'll rarely see Canadians of British origin taking in their feeble-minded or aged parents - that's what old folks home are for. So for Brits the idea of bringing your Grandparents to live with you full time is not top of mind when they first emigrate to Canada.

Goddamit, Beez. You don't speak for all Brits. You don't speak for all Canadians of British origin. And you sure as hell don't speak for me. Just because your family is apparently some sort of dystopian cold Conservative English stereotype doesn't mean that everyone's family is that way. Your family sounds awful and insufferable.

Look at this! I've found some hidden camera footage from the Beez homestead.

Ha! I love that Monty Python bit. I know, I know I can only speak from my own perspective. Perhaps Brits are the friendliest, most loving family-centric folks out there. However, if you look at any old folks home in Canada, it's the aged parents of Brits and (other Europeans) that have been put there. Yes, my own upbringing was what I would call typically British, which meant I was motivated to work hard, get out of the house, build my life and never look back. The culture we're seeing in Italy today of 30+ old sons living at home with their mothers would be a rare occurence within the British family.

Getting back on topic, I have never heard of a case where immigrants from Britain sponsored their aged parents to emigrate to Canada. I'm sure it must happen, but I've never heard of a case amongst my network of British ex-pats. What would be the point, in the UK they have universal health care, old age pensions, seniors homes, etc., etc. My own grandmother lived a great life on the Isle of Wight with her garden and friends visiting, I can't imagine my Dad dragging her to live with us. If I know my Gran' she would have told my Dad that he made the choice to leave, and she has no interest in moving, and if we want to see her we can bloody well fly over anytime - which I did, some of the best visits of my life were spent on the Isle.

Asia is a big place, you've got Israelis, Arabs, eastern Russians, Indians, Nepalese, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc, etc. There is no single family culture in Asia. Or have you fallen into the same stereotypical trap that caught Macleans and are referring to Chinese-Canadians as "Asians". My Saudi born neighbour is just as Asian as the Thai guy two doors down.

No, but any place influenced by Confucianism is going to have some major filial piety going on. This includes China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore... anyplace Confucian values have travelled to over the last 2500 years.

I much prefer Asian family values over Canadian ones. I would never abandon my parents like you Canadians do.
That sounds hugely racist.

Are Asians not Canadians?

Not sure why you think Canadians abandon their parents. I don't see the need for such stereotyping.

Its perfectly fine to bring your grandparents over but then you can pay for their health-care costs from your salary as the majority here don't want to pay higher taxes to pay for someone elses grandparents medical costs. Re-unifying parents and grandparents with their children here maybe good for family re-unification but it's bad public policy because it increases the aged population and puts more stress on the health-care system. If you haven't noticed our population is getting older on average and there are less and less people of working age to maintain the services for children and seniors.

So in summary, we need youth and working age people that will come here to build our society and generate income to pay for the services that we all want. It's not racism, just practical government policy.

Unless they're Windsors.
Actually very inaccurate. The Royal children, especially the boys are sent out of the palace(s) very early to boarding schools. Then, as soon as they are of age (18) they're off to the military. For that matter, none of the Windsor children live with the Queen, they all have their own state-owned houses.

Its perfectly fine to bring your grandparents over but then you can pay for their health-care costs from your salary as the majority here don't want to pay higher taxes to pay for someone elses grandparents medical costs. Re-unifying parents and grandparents with their children here maybe good for family re-unification but it's bad public policy because it increases the aged population and puts more stress on the health-care system. If you haven't noticed our population is getting older on average and there are less and less people of working age to maintain the services for children and seniors.

So in summary, we need youth and working age people that will come here to build our society and generate income to pay for the services that we all want. It's not racism, just practical government policy.

Um no. As you said yuorself, seniors are not the only one who require services, children need services as well. Youth are as much a burden on a society as old people, tax revenue, higher cost of education, etc., so maybe they should bar the children of immigrants from entering the country as well, and maybe sterilize the immigrants who do come here. It wouldn't be the first time the Canadian government broke up the families of minorities and sterilized immigrants, so there's precedence. It's not racism, just practical government policy.

Ridiculous. Immigrant children are an investment and considering that they often end up in higher paying and more production careers than home born kids, thus paying more tax, it's a very good investment for Canada to make.

Senior immigrants arrive with a progressive need for services while giving nothing back to the economy. The best immigrants are young adults from developing countries who are willing to do the dirty, low paid jobs the rest of us don't want to do, who have lots of kids, resulting in high taxpaying, well educated future workers.

Back