News   Oct 08, 2024
 98     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 384     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 301     0 

Canada and the World

I think the evacuation plan right now is that the Canadian government is blocking seats on commercial flights but someone who actually takes the flight has to pay for the cost of the ticket (generally speaking, though there is a separate program that can provide loans to people in need).

But the flights don't necessarily go to Canada, they're just flights out of Lebanon to stable places. So they still may not return to Canada!

I think the evacuation plan right now is that the Canadian government is blocking seats on commercial flights but someone who actually takes the flight has to pay for the cost of the ticket (generally speaking, though there is a separate program that can provide loans to people in need).
I do very much hope that's the case.

Operation LION in 2006 cost Canadian taxpayers almost $100 million, only to see many of these same people soon return.

From this GoC page:

"Expenses, including meals and accommodation and required onward travel to Canada from a safe third location will be at your own expense."

I have heard Cyprus as a likely safe third country.

I'm curious why there are an estimated 45,000 Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Lebanon. Must be a helluva vacation spot.

Back