News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 762     0 

Can I build a bedroom in my condo?

Skibadee

Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw a 1 bedroom condo(loft style 12 feet ceilings) unit today with a bedroom that was really just like a nook, open space shape

It was shaped in between to other walls. The area had a closet, but had no real door, door frame etc.

The unit is considerd a 1 bedroom , do I need anything special to essentially just finish the wallks and build a door and doorway?

Im assuming some kind of permits are needed, where does someone learn about this?

Do people just not do it and dont tell anyone?

It doesn't need city special permit or anything like that but I think any kind of construction that creates noise would require approval from the building board of directors.

So I will be at the mercy of strangers.......

Do they want a bribe or something?

no nothing like that, you will neighbors in the building, it makes sense to give them a heads-up if there's some sort of noise coming out of your unit.

But again, I don't know for sure, find out more details from your RE lawyer

In my building you can do whatever you like so long as it doesn't impact on the structural integrity of the building and doesn't do anything to the common areas. Outside walls can't be touched but putting a new one inside is fine. My unit was once a 1 bedroom plus den. A previous owner enclosed the den to make a second bedroom.

In terms of noise we can only do major work during business hours.

It's your home........I think you do not need the approval from anyone if you only make noise during the business hours.....

not if you live in a condo ...

you NEED the boards approval, and they may ask for drawings and a licensed/bonded/insured contractor that has done condo renos.

not if you live in a condo ...

you NEED the boards approval, and they may ask for drawings and a licensed/bonded/insured contractor that has done condo renos.

You certainly need permission from your Condominium Corporation before doing 'renovations' and sometimes there are specific Rules about things like thickness of insulation, not creating an extras bedroom (you seem to want to make an existing one more private) and certainly about hours of work/noise etc etc. If it's more major than yours sounds tobe the Board may also want more info on contractors etc as suggested above. Look at your Rules!

Your condo probably has a list of rules regarding renovations. If you have a building website it might be on there. In my condo building there are quite a few rules:

Renovation that makes noise can be done *only* between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Anything that affects the common elements of the building requires prior approval. This includes outside walls, but also any changes related to the windows, ventilation, electrical, or plumbing. So if you want to put a heat/ac duct into your new bedroom you will need building approval, as you may interfere with the air flow through the ducts of the building in general.

Hard flooring must also meet very specific requirements. Floating laminate or hardwood floors can be extremely noisy and echoey for residents below the unit, leading to many complaints. So our building requires an extremely thick underpadding to be installed beneath all these types of floors. We had to give the building management samples of both the floor and underpadding before installation. If you don't do this and you get complaints, they say they will force you to rip it out (don't know if that ever really happens, though).

The rules also state that plumbing and electrical work must be done by certified tradesmen. So if you do your own electrical and the place catches fire, you're up the creek, I guess.

Finally, we're not allowed to throw any construction related debris into the garbage bins. This includes drywall, old carpet and underpadding, 2x4s, ceramic tiles, etc. So you need to pay someone to take that stuff away too.

So pretty much the only reno you can do without permissions is painting.

All in all, these rules make renos a real pain, especially if you're a do-it-yourselfer, but I think from a communal perspective they make a lot of sense. Nothing like having your neighbour decide to jackhammer ceramic tiles off his floor at 5am on a Sunday, or do his own plumbing and cause all his neighbours toilets to back up, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts fellas

This would be more of a closing of a space, the "bedroom" has the vents
closet etc just not a real door. More of a open gap to enter and leave the bedroom

Any work would really be done by a prof, good thing is this really would just need a small wall, nothing else, no electrical, vents etc

Is there a way to find out prior to purchasing?
Do I call the property management company?

Back