News   Jul 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 531     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 758     0 

CampusCommon (50 Gerrard E, student rental @ Church St, 12s, Burgess)

Brilliant St. Even! Guerrilla Ivy Gardening... any volunteers to help me?! :D

All we have to do is tell the city that it was planted illegally and then they'll bulldoze the whole thing. Worth a shot.

Ha!

You're thinking, you are. Welcome to the forum!

nice to find like-minded people who hate this building as much as I. people have said it's not built by Ryerson but surely the building had its approval. what's with ryerson? they've inflicted some of the worst architecture on this city, including the cheaply clad and already dated business school cum hardware store. this from a university? with an architecture program?

Welcome to the forum.

I do wonder why you're knocking Ryerson for this, though. Why would Ryerson have to approve this piece of shit? They do not own the land, or have any control over it. It has nothing to do with Ryerson.

Please feel free to knock the crappy architecture building, Jorgenson Hall or even the new Business Building (which I don't hate, and where Cadillac Fairview deserves some blame). But give credit where credit's due for Tridel's contribution to the neighbourhood.

nice to find like-minded people who hate this building as much as I. people have said it's not built by Ryerson but surely the building had its approval. what's with ryerson? they've inflicted some of the worst architecture on this city, including the cheaply clad and already dated business school cum hardware store. this from a university? with an architecture program?

Easy there. Ryerson had absolutely no role in this building. And Ryerson also has SOME good architecture.

the new business building looks pretty great to my eyes and has a great wide sidewalk there with trees...and more importantly is really nice inside, a big improvement over the engineering building interiors and problems. once bay and dundas is developed it will fit in perfectly...the top is a little off from the bay side, but from yonge and dundas the lobby combined with the streetwall of the side and top look pretty spiffy.

Easy there. Ryerson had absolutely no role in this building. And Ryerson also has SOME good architecture.
alright, alright...perhaps i was too quick to blame Ryerson, though i still submit that it has done little to enhance beauty in the city.someone needs to take the blame though...perhaps us. more political agitation - design review panels, public input on large projects, international competitions - less post-hoc commiseration.

Oct. 20th update

UV filtered glasses required here....

50Gerrard1.jpg

50Gerrard2.jpg

50Gerrard3.jpg

I purposely avoided this corner on my tour today. I was worried I would collapse in a pool of tears crying, "Why God? Why? Please drop a meteor on it!"

It is an eye-catcher....

I can just imagine three students loving this lifestyle. A second bathroom might be nice.

I assume that you are being sarcastic. If the students renting there (or more likely, their parents) knew that they could live in any of numerous nearby places with twice the floorsize for the same rent (or a place the same size as this for half the rent), I doubt that more than a handful of people would stay there.

But they don't, being out-of-towners unfamiliar with the local rental market, and hence are easy marks.

Bill

Back