News   Apr 19, 2024
 710     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Cabbagetown

I used to work with a guy who was friends with one of Susur's sons. I lost respect for them though, after the news broke out a few years ago about them withholding tips from their staff:

I never worked at any of his restaurants because i heard from people who worked for him say Susur is a pompous, arrogant jerk. So when that story broke it didn't surprise me. He seems like exactly the kind of person that would steal from his hard working employees and not give two effs about it.

I have heard horror stories about his douchebag sons, by the sounds of it, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I never worked at any of his restaurants because i heard from people who worked for him say Susur is a pompous, arrogant jerk. So when that story broke it didn't surprise me. He seems like exactly the kind of person that would steal from his hard working employees and not give two effs about it.

I have heard horror stories about his douchebag sons, by the sounds of it, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Yeah, his sons all bounce between the restaurant scene and managing online fashion/social media businesses now. And give off that typical rich brat children of local celeb (chef) vibe.

Probably burning a lot of their dad's money, because I'm finding it tough to understand how they're living these high spending lifestyles in California. Their social media content also heavily piggy back off their dad's culinary clout and probably an extra boost from their former restaurant partnership with Drake.

I had a close friend that was close to Susur and had the chance to "hang out" with them in a casual meal setting and Susur was pretty awesome. Don't get me wrong, he could've been a total ass on the restaurant business side, but just saying outside of it he was pretty cool. Not arrogant or pompous at all.

I didn't search very much, but yeah, it really seems like the kid is just riding Susur's coattails based on his Youtube channel. The only interesting vids are the ones with Susur on it. But I guess as a dad, you'd want to support your kids as much as you can. It still boggles my mind that social media/influencing can be a career - but I'm just a grumpy old man who used to walk to school uphill both ways.

Posted on TorontoJourney416's Instagram story today:

Screenshot_20211006-233242_Instagram.jpg

It frustrates me that the roof on the tower has been restored to its former glory here, yet two expensive renovations at the Gladstone in the last 20 years have not resulted in the same there.

I‘m disappointed that Cabbagetown can’t have just one sitdown cafe. Starbucks and Timmies are gone, Jet Fuel is walk up only and whilst they have a table, the Epicure Shop isn’t really a sit down spot. Does this neighbourhood not have the demographics to support a proper cafe? The rest of the city seems to be covered in cafes. I’m glad that Regent Park’s cafes are within walking distance, especially Sumach Espresso, but this only reminds me of what Cabbagetown is lacking on Parliament St.

I‘m disappointed that Cabbagetown can’t have just one sitdown cafe. Starbucks and Timmies are gone, Jet Fuel is walk up only and whilst they have a table, the Epicure Shop isn’t really a sit down spot. Does this neighbourhood not have the demographics to support a proper cafe? The rest of the city seems to be covered in cafes. I’m glad that Regent Park’s cafes are within walking distance, especially Sumach Espresso, but this only reminds me of what Cabbagetown is lacking on Parliament St.

Although I don't hang out in Cabbagetown much anymore, compared to like 6-7 years ago where I'd be around all the time. I do agree that the main retail strip along Parliament is underserved in terms of proper sit down cafes. Especially compared to further south and east of here on Queen East Riverside and Leslieville.

Maybe it's a demographics thing. I know that up in the Corso Italia area of St. Clair West, the aging population is a reason why "hipper" type of retail that serves younger people doesn't really do well there. It's also not a destination for retail compared to like Bloordale, Junction, or even just further east towards St. Clair & Christie.

Or it could be a high commercial rent factor. From what I recall, Starbucks got out of their former space after a dispute with the landlord and not being able to come to agreement with the rent.

Because of the pandemic. It's financial suicide to open a sit down cafe when the government could impose dine in restrictions any day now, as cases are going up, and new COVID variants have popped up. Some of my fave cafes and restaurants, have switched to take out only. It's just not worth the hassle policing customers.

Application to convert this following building along the north side of Gerrard E, a bit east of Parliament to office and community usage. From what I gather online, it was previously/currently (?) for Sandbox Studios, a space for independent artists and musicians. And possible among other uses.

No further info available yet, but it doesn't seem like the surface parking space fronting Gerrard will have anything planned for it. Which is bit of a shame considering that it's a fairly large space.

340 GERRARD ST E
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

Application Number: 21 246670 STE 13 SA
Application Type: Site Plan Approval
Date Submitted: 09/12/2021
Description: Site Plan Approval to convert the existing building to an office and community use.

-----------
Photo of the current building from ACO Toronto:

340GerrardE.jpg

Last edited:
Application to convert this following building along the north side of Gerrard E, a bit east of Parliament to office and community usage. From what I gather online, it was previously/currently (?) for Sandbox Studios, a space for independent artists and musicians. And possible among other uses.

No further info available yet, but it doesn't seem like the surface parking space fronting Gerrard will have anything planned for it. Which is bit of a shame considering that it's a fairly large space.

340 GERRARD ST E
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

Application Number: 21 246670 STE 13 SA
Application Type: Site Plan Approval
Date Submitted: 09/12/2021
Description: Site Plan Approval to convert the existing building to an office and community use.

-----------
Photo of the current building from ACO Toronto:

View attachment 368450

I don't know that this needs a dedicated thread; if so, I will leave it to others for now.............

But....*Docs are up* for the above:

1640798438266.png

1640798468223.png

1640798497230.png

1640798543114.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1640798569568.png

1640798590845.png

Architect is Hilditch

Back