News   May 06, 2024
 535     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 703     1 

Cabbagetown

I think the first step needs to be expropriation. You shouldn’t have a vacant residential property in this city.

That reminds me: somebody please tell me who owns 2 and 4 Close Avenue in Parkdale!!

I first came upon it back in early 2005 when some friends went there for an afterparty after a rave. The place was a punk squat at the time, but they were all heroin addicts and some of the place was a massive mess from their withdrawal episodes. I'm not going into details.

Anyway, I moved in across the road a year later and it was still empty when I moved out again over a year later. Now, 11 years later, I've moved back into the neighbourhood and the place is still empty. Or so it seems.
The bins keep getting put out for collection, but trust me.....it's not even a squat anymore.

Does anyone know what's happening with St. Martin Catholic School, alternative school on Salisbury? Is it actually a functional school? Seems like a big lot. Does the TCDSB have plans for the site?

Does anyone know what's happening with St. Martin Catholic School, alternative school on Salisbury? Is it actually a functional school? Seems like a big lot. Does the TCDSB have plans for the site?
Yes, it’s a functioning TCSB school. I voted there and saw that the classrooms and gym were in use. My kids call it jail school as it’s currently used for troubled students transferred from other schools. Eventually the TCSB will build a school at Parliament and Shuter, perhaps leading to St. Martin’s closure. Hopefully the CTHA will prevent a condo or something architecturally inappropriate from going there.

Yes, it’s a functioning TCSB school. I voted there and saw that the classrooms and gym were in use. My kids call it jail school as it’s currently used for troubled students transferred from other schools. Eventually the TCSB will build a school at Parliament and Shuter, perhaps leading to St. Martin’s closure. Hopefully the CTHA will prevent a condo or something architecturally inappropriate from going there.

The Shuter/Parliament site, the former Duke of York public school, was proposed to be a consolidation of St. Pauls on Queen East and St Michael's in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood.

The province turned down the last funding request for it which was 2017.

Which is why the site is still vacant.

In the capital plan for the TCDSB, the site still exists as a line item but with no date, no funding, and only one curious detail....

Study feasibility of joint project with Young People's Theatre

Thanks for the insight. I reached out to the Cabbagetown Residents Association and they were not aware of any formal redevelopment plans. I also reached out to the TCDSB and they said the same. So it looks like for the time being it'll remain as an alternative school and admin facility.

I walk the upper Riverdale Park West in the early morning and evening.

In the evening there are now way more people using the park, some with hibachis, boom boxes and home a party scene more common to a provincial park or the beaches. It now common to see men pissing against the farm's fences. Suffice to say, in the morning the park is covered in garbage. I'm okay with the larger community use of public spaces, but our little neighbourhood park is getting rolled over by a messy mob.

Last edited:
I walk the upper Riverdale Park West in the early morning and evening. In the evening there are now way more people using the park, some with hibachis, boom boxes and home a party scene more common to a provincial park or the beaches. In the morning the park is covered in garbage. I'm okay with the larger community use of public spaces, but our little neighbourhood park is getting rolled over by a messy mob.

No excuses for the boorish, but they were always among us.

What's changed is that we've limited their opportunities to hang out, more or less to the parks system.

Not surprisingly, we see that behavior inordinately concentrated there.

Hanging out in malls, pools, night clubs etc these folks were either policed; self-policed, or cleaned up after.

Now they are largely none of the above.

More emergency housing going into Cabbagetown.... but still an improvement over what was there before, so good news.

I still wish such housing was more spread out across the city. I‘d guess that half of the emergency housing and shelters in Toronto must be within a 4 km circle of my house.

The properties at 502-508 Parliament St will be converted into affordable housing. The City is planning to have 44 units here, with work to proceed this fall and be ready for occupancy by spring 2021.

Photo from the article:

1596578572882.png

The properties at 502-508 Parliament St will be converted into affordable housing. The City is planning to have 44 units here, with work to proceed this fall and be ready for occupancy by spring 2021.

Photo from the article:

View attachment 261410
A good move for the neighbourhood, but again, must we put so much of our public housing in downtown east?

This is where the people who need it are and the resources to assist them are.
Chicken and egg. The people who need it come to downtown east because that’s where the resources have been located. Spread those resources across the city and we’d see a more equal dispersion of the people in need.

This mirrors my feelings on the matter, I want my neighbourhood to do its share, and everyone else‘s neighbourhood too.

“Cabbagetowners are committed to doing our fair share to relieve the stress on the poor and vulnerable, as we have done for decades, but we cannot be the only ward in our city to carry the burden of the shelter system.”

Last edited:

233 Carlton - stalled at TLAB

“On March 20, 2020, Howard Bortenstein filed an appeal to the Toronto Local Appeal Body. He’s objecting to the decision made by the Committee of Adjustment to approve the conversion of this building into a women’s respite centre. Howard makes his appeal as a member of the Cabbagetown Coalition who are opposed to the creation of the respite centre at this location.
Howard identifies four problems with the Committee of Adjustment decision. He backs up these arguments with a detailed list of over a dozen points.

His appeal has been filed at TLAB. A hearing date has not been scheduled yet - the building’s conversion cannot take place until a TLAB decision has been received.“

Last edited:
More emergency housing going into Cabbagetown.... but still an improvement over what was there before, so good news.

I still wish such housing was more spread out across the city. I‘d guess that half of the emergency housing and shelters in Toronto must be within a 4 km circle of my house.

4km radius from your house? That's a massive area. From Parliament and Carlton that gets you west to Ossington, east to Coxwell, south to Cherry Beach, and north to St. Clair. But that actually wouldn't even get you 33% based on the City map of locations, because most locations aren't actually downtown anymore.

Back