News   Jul 25, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 642     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 492     0 

Cabbagetown Streetscape Revitalization Plan (Sun Arts Design)

Oh, good god!

Upon further investigation, I have noticed that the goddamn wheels on the wholly unnecessary bike are cabbages. I think I'm going to be sick. I'm going to have to get in touch with the BIA and tell them they should turn it down a bit. We get it, cabbages, we get it.

EDIT: I see now that the bike rack is under the arch. Still, I don't see the arch as at all necessary, people will find the bike rack regardless. It's just too busy and fussy.

The whole bike rack thing looks like something I came up with in grade 4. There's a lot of grade 4 in this thing, but I do appreciate the spirit.

The way I look at it, elements are always chopped off these plans before anything is implemented. Perhaps the firm has compensated for that. It would be a brilliant move.

If that's the case, I wouldn't mind a giant fucking unicorn straddling Parliament at Carlton. Its testicles would be two giant cabbages, and would hang omniously like a double-sword of Damocles.

Last edited:
I live right in the heart of all of this, and don't care for some of the items in this proposal. Who called it theme park stuff? They are correct.

I love the cobbling of the streets, and the sidewalk work. The lamp standards are, umm, precious, not for me.

If the proposal guaranteed taking down overhead hydro transformers and also installing attractive streetcar wiring networks in place of the crushingly clumsy mishmash at, for example, Parl & Carl -- instead of putting cabbage emblems in the pavement -- I would be suitably impressed. I agree with Roy in general. Perhaps they're aiming high with the knowledge that they won't get all they ask for.

Last edited:
Maybe they can paint this on a wall somewhere
510A7YZYXML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Seeing those cabbages I'm reminded that there's a giant brick maple leaf covering the entire intersection of Weston and Sheppard. Have any of you seen it or know why they put it there??

If that's the case, I wouldn't mind a giant fucking unicorn straddling Parliament at Carlton. It's testicles would be two giant cabbages, and would hang omniously like a double-sword of Damocles.

Get out of my head!

Seriously, best post I've read in ages. Wow.

The unicorn is brilliant. The cabbages and silly bike sculptures need to go. Other than that, I wholeheartedly welcome the beautification of Cabbagetown's main drag.

Did any of these improvements happen?

No. And I'm kind of glad they didn't. This isn't for the benefit of people who live in Cabbagetown, it's a makeover into a tour bus stop where busloads of old folks from Rochester will be dumped out to buy doilies and bonbons and take pictures in front of giant cabbage sculptures, then be whisked to their next destination.

The Triangle at Parliament & Gerrard was redone a few years ago, but not to the design above. Carson Arthur did it for one of his tv shows. I don't know if it had any connection to the bigger project.

I live right in the heart of all of this, and don't care for some of the items in this proposal. Who called it theme park stuff? They are correct.

I love the cobbling of the streets, and the sidewalk work. The lamp standards are, umm, precious, not for me.

If the proposal guaranteed taking down overhead hydro transformers and also installing attractive streetcar wiring networks in place of the crushingly clumsy mishmash at, for example, Parl & Carl -- instead of putting cabbage emblems in the pavement -- I would be suitably impressed. I agree with Roy in general. Perhaps they're aiming high with the knowledge that they won't get all they ask for.

+1, especially on burying the frontier-town overhead wires and transformers. I'm aware there's a proposal to erect somewhat twee streetlights, but the way this city works Toronto Hydro's shabby mess will remain, probably with more overhead wires strung to power the new light standards.

Back