News   Jul 30, 2024
 334     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 533     0 

Brutal drivers in the GTA.

Remembering that Torontonians tend to be unaware that roads other than provincial highways exist, I just dashed over to the next concession where there wasn't a car in sight. Saved myself at least an hour! Remember that when you're driving: if there's traffic on the highway, just go one concession over. Often they're even paved!

As a person from rural Ontario, I can state that we count on that ignorance! We even try to foster it! We can't have knowledge of this fact spread otherwise chaos will break loose! Names like "14th Concession" and "3rd Line EHS" are designed to confuse city dwellers while providing an easy navigation system for rural folks! Just think what would happen if vacationing urbanites start barreling down quaint country roads... children will have to be locked inside their homes to keep them safe! OH WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!

My favourite rural road in the GTA, Forks of the Credit, has been closed in sections for nearly two years now - it will be closed through the most scenic parts right through the peak fall colours season. I was so disappointed, but at least it keeps idiots like the guy who posted his video here 2 years ago of that road, off it.

For Sauble, there's a handy route to avoid Highways 10 and 6, all paved, quite nice and fast. I'm debating whether I should tell you about it or not. :)

Highway 48 is always a pain on cottage weekends. Lakeridge Road is a great alternate, all the way up towards Beaverton.

Just think what would happen if vacationing urbanites start barreling down quaint country roads... children will have to be locked inside their homes to keep them safe! OH WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!

Aren't they extra points?

For Sauble, there's a handy route to avoid Highways 10 and 6, all paved, quite nice and fast. I'm debating whether I should tell you about it or not. :)

Don't worry... I took it! I have vast experience driving diagonally the other way, from Kitchener to Collingwood or Muskoka. When you aren't coming from Toronto, you just don't have the choice of provincial highways. Unless you're going to Listowel. And seriously. Who wants to go to Listowel?

Hmmm. K-W to Collingwood. Would this route take you through Alma, Arthur and Flesherton?

Isn't Listowel Car City for the Perth-Huron-Grey-Bruce-North Wellington area? Otherwise, I think Palmerston is more exciting. I don't know why anyone would want to go to Listowel either, except that it's on the way to better places.

Yup! That's the way to go. I used to go up to the Singhampton area, too, so lots of time on R.R. 14 up there. Major OPP hangout, though.

Ahh, Listowel. You know, I've never been. My mother even worked their briefly. It seems like the kind of place I might have driven to with friends when I first got my license, but Hamilton and Stratford (and Buffalo!) just had so much more pull.

Speaking of brutal drivers, though… one big thing infuriates me about driving in smaller cities. When I’m in Kitchener, people just don’t seem to understand how to drive in traffic. My friend lives one house down from a traffic light, and I have to turn left to get into his driveway. Every single time, there’ll be a line of cars coming and they’ll all race to get in a tight line at the red light. Nobody will leave me space to turn through. In Toronto, you’d get your ass kicked for not letting somebody through when you’re stopped like that.

Back