News   May 03, 2024
 962     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 592     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 

Bradford Bypass (MTO, Hwy 400 - Hwy 404)

Can this not be addressed with wider ramps--more lanes? The 401 EB to 400 being a one lane ramp is nuts.
Higher radius is not just capacity but safety also - drivers don't need to change their speed. It appears these will all be two lane ramps so adding a 3rd lane won't do much (Highway is only 2 lanes per direction anyways).

Why are the freeway-to-freeway interchanges so massive? They can easily be half the size.
Because the MTO wants to one up the American highways. Officially its because they want high speed ramps, to reduce congestion. But its almost double the land take from the original ramps which were lower speed 70km ramps.

Not sure why, but I feel like 440 is a good choice.
I don't think there's actual logic in it though.
400 <-> 440 <-> 404
The signage would look something like this. I can already see some confused drivers.

signage.jpg

Generally, east-west 400 series highways are assigned odd numbers, while north-south highways are assigned even numbers. The bradford bypass will likely be assigned an odd number.

"Toronto Bypass" ;)
That wont work for when Doug will want to amalgamate Toronto, Vaughan, York, Peel, and Markham into some super metropolis and we have mass sprawl. Then we'll be back to square one again. That way we'll have the biggest Metropolis in the world, something that Ontario can be proud of and brag about!

I'm sure he's in the kitchen cooking up some legislation for that one as we speak.

Officially its because they want high speed ramps, to reduce congestion. But its almost double the land take from the original ramps which were lower speed 70km ramps.

It doesn't matter how high speed you make them. If the highway 8 ramp in Cambridge is any indication people will slow down to 60 km/h from a kilometer out just because 'oh my god, it's a ramp'.

The signage would look something like this. I can already see some confused drivers.

View attachment 442770
And yet in Montreal, they do fine with the 40, 440, and 640 signage in quick succession (even the 540 until recently when it was renumbered to 30). Not to mention the 20, 520, and 720 (though that was recently renumbered to 136). Yeah, I know there's a logical system to it, but I doubt many drivers are aware of the system (which has always been broken, with missing segments. You see similar in the USA.

And yet in Montreal, they do fine with the 40, 440, and 640 signage in quick succession (even the 540 until recently when it was renumbered to 30). Not to mention the 20, 520, and 720 (though that was recently renumbered to 136). Yeah, I know there's a logical system to it, but I doubt many drivers are aware of the system (which has always been broken, with missing segments. You see similar in the USA.
40, 440 and 640 have 3 different digits between them (0, 4 and 6) and one of the highways is 2 digits while other two are 3 digits. While 400, 404 and 440 have only 2 digits between them (0 and 4) and all of them are 3 digit numbers.

40, 440 and 640 may be in quick succession. Here, we are taking about 400, 404 and 440 all on the same sign next to one another.

Speed limits in Ontario are usually higher than Montreal. Faster the speed, lesser time you get to read.

Signs in Quebec are usually bigger with much better arrow markings.

So, I don't think the comparison is relevant in this case.

Back