News   Jul 15, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 529     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     1 

Boston City Hall to be demolished?

Why would Kyle Rae vote to save a fine of-its-time building like that if it were in Toronto? He, and David Miller, voted to allow demolition of the Concourse Building - while Stintz equivalent Jane Pitfield voted to preserve it.

Ah, but given what was planned (and who was in charge of the chew-up-regurgitation, ERA/McClelland et al), one might claim Rae + Miller didn't vote to *demolish* demolish it.

Besides, Concourse isn't Mohhhdernissst, let alone Br*t*l*st. It's Deco. An easier sell to the likes of Pitfield (who excused away the IOTP demolition with the people-are-not-used-to-modern-heritage alibi; yeah, I know what she was getting at, but still).

*Now*, things might be a bit different--but back when the Concourse was voted on around Y2K, a lot of these preservationist issues still had a stigmatizing bit of the reactionary-old-grumbly about them. It was long before Spacing/uTOpia, remember...
=================
Oh, another great Toronto comparison to BCH: 999 Queen, John Howard's Provincial Asylum. Likewise, something went awry along the conception-execution-implementation-adaptation-evolution path, and it became the grim, gloomy, horrid building everyone feared, inhumane, made people ill, "999 Queen" became a dirty word, bla bla bla. "Toxic architecture", they might have said. Yet the demolition of John Howard's masterpiece in 1975 was the emblematic shortsighted architectural loss of its time in Toronto...

If UT had existed in the early 70s, I can picture a phalanx of "get rid of it" sentiment...

Oh yeah, from Alex Beam's Boston Globe article, this quote:
As if it were somehow relevant that a difficult to appreciate building by a great architect begat an ugly building by two other great architects. I have nothing against Kallmann and McKinnell, by the way. I practically live in one of their wonderful creations: the Newton Free Library.
Note: this is the Newton Free Library.
library.JPG

Kallman, McKinnell, & Wood in their Postmodern period.

Actually quite textbook-example good for what it is (aside from maybe the far-fetched cupola); but you can definitely tell where the author's bias lies. (True, that's a bit of a pitch to Building Babel and all who feel Retro-PoMo was but a momentary brainfart along the stylistic timeline. Yes, I've taken BB et al to task for being too astringent w/that POV; but in cases like this--FYI, directed more at Alex Beam than the Newton Free Library--I can identify w/where that astringency's coming from.)

Destroy the Scream- there are plenty of copies available
And who knows how many earnest undergrads have Munch prints on their dorm walls, even over their beds...

"Architects 1, Users 0"

If there's one building that should be automatically replaced unless it has a score of Users = 1, perhaps it would be a City Hall...

If there's one building that should be automatically replaced unless it has a score of Users = 1, perhaps it would be a City Hall...

I would argue exactly the opposite. Where is symbolic architecture -- and maybe even impersonal grand statements -- more important than in a seat of government?

Yes, adma, the deco Concourse was no doubt an easier "preservationist" sell to Pitfield and her ilk than a modernist or brutalist ( and therefore unloved ) building would have been at that time. The downside risk of all this deco-hugging and gingerbread-Victoriana-hugging comes when what's merely fashionable is confused with what's good design - and you get the sort of preservation-at-all-costs-simply-because-it-is-old facadism that abounds hereabouts.

And the flipside of this fashion/design confusion is Boston City Hall getting flunking grades, and votes by politicians to take the wrecker's ball to the Concourse while preserving a few choice bits.

I know what you might (or might not) be getting at: a bit of a stigma-by-association. That is, where one cannot see the genuine-gems-at-risk for all the indiscriminate--or maybe more to the point, dubiously-founded--hugging. Sort of like where you have to whack away the McMichaelish reactionaries to properly grasp the Group of Seven.

But the tripwire behind "when what's merely fashionable is confused with what's good design" is that that's the kind of cant High Modernists used to condemn *all* Art Deco. Maybe what's needed is a more open-ended and inclusive notion of "good design"--that is, embracing BCH *and* the Newton library. (Which, in a way, is truer to the once-revelatory spirit of Postmodernism--in Venturian terms, both-and, rather than either-or. Those who uphold Postmodern as a mere blunt rejection of the Modern are perverting the founding spirit.)

BTW a caveat: just because BCH is "important" doesn't mean freezing it in amber or applying Morrisian "no-scrape" absolutist principles. All it means is that matters of its existing architectural significance have to *absolutely* be taken into account rather than treated contemptuously--perhaps even treated as a creative opportunity? A subject of charettes? Like, the spirit of a lot of that misguided monkeying proposed by Sunday-painter urbanists on behalf of NPS might be not-so-misguided in a BCH context (to a point)?

Just assemble a good team, a jury of experts, including a Docomomo affiliation among them. Work in ways that might enhance yet improve (including environmentally; "greening" the building?) on what's there already, yet in accord with something like the original spirit. You may not win every Joe + Jane Public over; but at the very least, you might earn a little respect from a good whack of'em.

And it's a lot more genuinely constructive than PPS/New Urbanist/Kunstlerian absolutism. Which in the form of this sell-off solution, is akin to an urbanist Common Sense Revolution--with all the simplistic crudity that implies.

Look; sure. BCH may be "self-evidently" ugly to some, but that's like hip-hop being "self-evidently" ugly to an oldies fan. And heck, the mantra's old hat now. Modern-bashing peaked in the 80s. And whatever its pitfalls, BCH is no Pruitt-Igoe--and besides, the mantra's so old hat, it's being eaten from within. Just consider Robarts: that Big Freaking Ugly Concrete etc etc label has morphed from epithet to term of endearment. Psychogeographers, urban explorers, skateboarding ruffians and just those who've grown up and learned to live with such stuff are more sanguine about "evil" modernism than their elders. God bless these messes. Even Regent Park's demolition has been beset by a little "aw gee, maybe we shouldn't have".

And consider East Berlin. The bleak urban legacy of the Communist years, the Plattenbauten et al, have become urban cult and fetish objects par excellence--which has helped build a case *for* them.

So...why not a creative retention solution? After all, that's what a Jack Diamond team offered for 999 Queen as an alternative to demolition.

And yes, I still think things'd be different in Toronto, primarily because the political culture's different (and heck, if anyone could've figured a way to creatively exist within and make the most of a, er, stifling concrete hive like BCH, "gay councillor" Kyle Rae could've, nudgenudge winkwink sorry John Barber).

Remember: Boston's got a long history of municipal shenanigans and un-enlightenment (where'd you think Mayor Quimby got his accent?). And also remember that while BCH's gestation started in the Camelot years, it all wrapped up on President Nixon's doorstep. America had changed. And thus, it's hard to tell how much architecture like this is to blame, or some bigger long-term cultural/social pathology that in effect hollowed out what such architecture was meant to signify. Yes, definitely, if this were Toronto, or someplace in Europe, things might have been different...

I must confess to a certain affection for these Brutalist hulks, if only because they are fascinating relics of what, in retrospect, seems to have been a moment of collective architectural insanity. I suspect those which escape demolition will one day be popular tourist attractions in a "what-the-hell-were-they-thinking?" sort of way.

That said, it can't be pleasant to have to actually use them; I have some pretty horrid memories of Robarts, which always struck me as like a futuristic prison full of books, right down to the vaguely cell-number-like six-digit inscriptions on the carrel doors. BCH doesn't sound much better. Nor is perhaps the most bizarre North American example of Brutalism, Paul Rudolph's Art and Architecture Building in New Haven, which might have the most bewildering internal layout of any structure I have ever been in (you can start with the fact that the main entrance is on level 2). A+A is currently undergoing a purportedly sympathetic renovation to restore it to Rudolph's 'vision,' which I am guessing will be even more ghastly than its present condition.

But they will all be great museums someday. Until then, God help the folks who have to work in them.

From the New Republic blog--amusing comments from the hardcore Modern-haters. Especially
If you want to discuss architectural monstrosities in Cambridge, you have to mention the Gropius Complex at Harvard Law School. I can't believe I lived there for two years, and didn't start a riot. Perhaps our gracious blog-host can see what he can do with the local and state bureaucracy to have its historical protections removed so the place can be bulldozed.
Yuk, yuk. Guffaw. It is to laugh.

And note the link within to this piece by Boston Globe arch crit Robert Campbell--a strangely wussy but fundamentally pro-BCH POV. (The wussiness must be a "mainstream media" thing.)

Sheesh, chill, people. You might as well be telling us that Led Zeppelin hurts your ears...

Edit: some more neocon Brutalism-bashing. (Salk Institute?!?)

Architectural Record

Link to article

rudolphdemomatlow01130702pop.jpg

Paul Rudolph–Designed Home Is Lost

January 24, 2007

Another significant Modernist house has ended up in a landfill: a 4,200-square-foot house in Westport, Connecticut, designed by Paul Rudolph in 1972. Demolition took place January 13 following a fervent yet rather brief attempt by preservationists and the Connecticut attorney general to block the action. The three-level building, with cantilevered volumes extending horizontally from the main core, exhibited a more subtle aesthetic approach than the Brutalist style Rudolph had deployed in his iconic Yale Art and Architecture Building nine years earlier.

The house, on acreage in one of the town’s costliest enclaves, was commissioned by Dr. and Mrs. Louis Michaels and was in the process of being sold to Yvette Waldman, wife of local developer David Waldman. Among Waldman’s most recent projects is the renovation of the former Westport Bank and Trust building into a retail and dining venue. While Waldman was able to have that building named a national historic property to ensure its architectural protection, he stated that he saw no such design significance in the Paul Rudolph house.

Attorney general Richard Blumenthal’s attempt to obtain a restraining order against the demolition failed on January 12, and razing began the following morning. Waldman, for his part, has said that he will “continue to do good things to preserve Westport’s history,†and will donate the original architectural plans for the house to the Paul Rudolph Foundation in New York.

city hall

The fact that a time existed when a city would accept that their central building and square should be a harsh brutal concrete hulk, I find pretty fascinating in a theoretical and historic way. The building and square repell me in every other way.

It would be nice if somehow we could save this scenery in some way which does not force innocent Bostonians to be stuck with it in the middle of the city. Perhaps some kind of theme park gallery could store the brutal buildings and plazas. Put it in Nebraska where it would be a big tourist destination.
Attention group, follow me half a mile this way to our Hull Quebec wing..

Re: city hall

For a city as historically and academically enlightened as Boston one would expect better than the simple demolition of such an important structure. I guess that's why this is receiving such attention. I hope they do the right thing :rolleyes

"I must confess to a certain affection for these Brutalist hulks, if only because they are fascinating relics of what, in retrospect, seems to have been a moment of collective architectural insanity"

I view it more as collective architectural hubris.

I'm really not sure what is supposed to constitute 'good' design and will leave that debate to those here who are far more qualified to deal with it, but I suspect that a building can only truly be considered a success if it succeeds on all accounts: good architecture/design, sympathy to its context, and ability to fulfill its function. From this point of view, and without resorting to bashing brutalism or yearning for mock Bulfinch, I tend to consider the Boston City Hall a failure.

Back