News   Jul 16, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 547     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Blue LED Lighting to stop subway suicides?

I find warm yellow lighting to be more calming than blue

I used to get major headaches from warm yellow lighting. I still remember growing up and dreading night time drives on the Gardiner when they had those yellow lights by the Humber. Its not as severe now, but warm yellow light still irritates me.

Hi, Sorry for the old bump, but I wanted to mention a few things about the LED lighting that is in St. Andrew.

First off, the fixtures, and LED's in general emit no UV.

The fixtures installed in St. Andrew are actually white LED's at about 6500k This was done as they originally wanted something very white, and very clean.

In comparison to the old fluorescents it does look blue though. After evaluation, it was decided that a warmer colour would look better, and 5000K seems to be the consensus.

The fixtures that run in the middle of the platform are colour adjustable, and can be set from 2700k ( Like an incandescent light bulb ) up to 6500k. They warmed some of the fixtures up two steps to 5000K and that was what most people liked better. This is just slighter cooler then a typical fluorescent.

This started before the "blue light prevents suicide" news started to happen, and the bluish light currently there had nothing to do with that, just a selection of colour temperature that looked great one place, and not as great in another place.

Yeah, LEDs can be killer for your eyes, and they can emit a lot of UV, which will destroy your eyes and your skin.

UV LEDs emit UV, Blue LEDs emit blue light, red LEDs emit red light.
LEDs are not incandescent lightbulbs, they emit light in a very narrow band.

The fixtures installed in St. Andrew are actually white LED's at about 6500k

"white" LEDs are Blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor covering the die.

You're right. I didn't want to get too technical, and what I was trying to impart is that the blueish light is not how all LED's are. They can be warmer. The LED's used peak at 490NM

Hmm, I wonder if Sharon has read this thread yet, since the prevention of suicides seems to factor so heavily into her "innovation"?

What is also being lost in some of the "blue light = bad" talk is that it is the viewing of the actual light source itself that might cause damage - not blue illumination. You'd have to stare straight up at the LEDs (which as Class 2 lasers in any color) for any damage to occur, and it would happen from staring into any colored LED, not just Blue.

Is this going to be like the nasty blue lighting found in some Mississauga bises? The lighting that made everyone look sickly? I thought that was to obscure the veins in people's skin so that it was more difficult for drug-usewrs to shoot up. (Was that ever that much of a problem in Mississauga?)

Anybody notice that the concourse under the new GO tracks is lit with blue LED? I wonder if the intention was suicide prevention?

Blue lighting is used in public transportation in many places worldwide. Being in the lighting business I should probably know why, but have a hunch it isn't to make it difficult to shoot herion.

Back