785     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 756     0 

Blue Jays Home Opener 2006

T

TO Tower Fan

On Tuesday April 4th, the Jays opened up their much anticipated 2006 season to a sellout crowd (the 4th largest opening day crowd in team history and definitely one of the loudest). The excitement was built up because of a phenomenal off season spending spree that saw the Jays payroll climb from from around $40 million to just under $75 million after signing free agents and making some key trades. The Jays opened up their season facing the Minnesota Twins and it starred one of the best pitching matchups that you can possibly see in the American League, Roy Halladay vs Johan Santana. Both pitchers have won the Cy Young award for best pitcher and Roy was well on his way to winning it again last year before a line drive off his shin ended his season last year.

Unlike last year's home opener where I walked around the skydome during the game and took pics from many angles, this year I pretty much stayed in my seat because I wanted to focus on the game this time. Last year it seemed like I missed half the game because of all the walking around the concourses.

Anyways, here what I saw...

P1050497.jpg

P1050498.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Newly renovated concourses in the Rogers Centre (Wood panelled ceiling, lots of neon lights covering the cement pillars etc):
IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Pregame ceremonies started at 6:45, a half hour before first pitch, apparently not a lot people were aware of this:
IMG_0769.jpg

The Minnesota Twins being introduced:
IMG_0781.jpg

Then it was the Jays turn:
IMG_0793.jpg

Yup...that is indeed Blue Man Group....and no they didn't sing. They just played the national anthems while the crowd sang the lyrics...which was kinda cool:
IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Former Jay, Tony Batista
IMG_0820.jpg

Minnesota Ace Johan Santana:
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

New Jay slugger Troy Glaus:
IMG_0866.jpg

The Jays' Gold Glove centerfielder Vernon Wells:
IMG_0875.jpg

New Jays first baseman Lyle Overbay tries to keep former Jays centerfielder Shannon Stewart from stealing a base:
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Psy......Cho:
IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

The improved Level of Excellence that honours the great people associated with the Blue Jays:
IMG_0890.jpg

The man Roy Halladay himself:
IMG_0894.jpg

Batista nails a home run in the 7th to cut the Toronto Lead down to 4-2:
IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

7th inning stretch time:
IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Our much despised mascot, Ace (he consistently gets booed because people still have a fond attachment to our old mascot B.J. Birdy)
IMG_0907.jpg

After getting beat up, Santana was pulled and replaced with Rincon:
IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Jays television announcer Pat Tabler standing up, Jamie Campbell is setting down being the T.V. set:
IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

After giving up a pair of solo home runs in the 7th and 8th to cut the lead down to 4-3, it was time for Roy to hit the showers:
IMG_0920.jpg

And what an ovation he got:
IMG_0923.jpg

Hopefully the Jays' fans can start dreaming about adding a new banner sooner rather than later:
IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Alex Rios high fives his teammates as he returns to home plate after dinging a 2 run shot to push the lead to 6-3, which all but guaranteed a victory:
IMG_0945.jpg

I love that sign "Finally a Toronto team that can win":
IMG_0947.jpg

New Jays' $47 million closer B.J. Ryan (Best initials ever) had the crowd going crazy:
IMG_0950.jpg

Lots of love for Kirby Puckett could be found at Skydome...there was even a pregame ceremony for him.
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

B.J. Ryan strikes out the last batter and the Jays win. They are now 22-8 in home openers, the best record of all Major League Baseball teams:
IMG_0970.jpg

Nice pics! You should consider a change in career because you would make a great sports photographer.

They blew a 6-0 lead against Tampa Bay last night...ugh, that bullpen better get its act together. I'm not too worried about their ability to generate offense, but it's the bullpen and defense that worries me. Overbay had a boner of an error that opening game, although Vernon Wells' catch was spectacular.

Nice shots!

I can't wait to see what type of cladding they had in mind for the exterior next year.

As far as the Jays go, it's still early...Im not too concerned yet about the bullpen.

The wood in the concourse looks good... a bit warmer than the concrete on it's own.

fantastic pics! I was there too... I like all of the new rennovations but still miss the scoreboard behind home plate... I was hoping that they would extend the ribbon screens all the way around this year.

I can't believe you got to sit right behind Lindsay Lohah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG how did she smell? What was she wearing? Did she eat?

Seriously though, love the atmosphere that you captured. Wish every game was that packed!

I really wish that they would keep the red white and blue banner tyype things along the mezzinine levels. It adds such a sentimental feeling to the space even though is reeks of american country fair!

Bring on the apple pie!!

Thanks for the comments.

Sports photography would be great, but I would need $5000+ more in equipment to seriously consider doing that. You really need some high quality lens to shoot sports photos for publications.

3-3....mediocre start...hopefully they start to string together some wins starting with this big series in Boston tomorrow.

Back